OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
lysol

Re: Elder-scrolls IV Oblivion

Post by lysol » 13 Apr 2016, 16:47

Yes, that would be cool to see. How does the normal map and specular map textures work in skyrim? Anything in alpha channels? Do they have the same name as the diffuse texture but with a suffix, like _n?
Normal mapped texture replacers, exclusive for OpenMW:
My Nexus page

Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic » 13 Apr 2016, 17:13

Alpha-channels of Skyrim normalmaps contain specular maps for objects, like in Oblivion. They have _n suffix, yeah.
Parallax maps are contained in alpha-channel of diffuse texture, the same applies to Oblivion. They are not used properly in Skyrim without ENBseries, though.

openmwfan27

Post by openmwfan27 » 15 Apr 2016, 13:03

Capostrophic wrote:Alpha-channels of Skyrim normalmaps contain specular maps for objects, like in Oblivion. They have _n suffix, yeah.
Parallax maps are contained in alpha-channel of diffuse texture, the same applies to Oblivion. They are not used properly in Skyrim without ENBseries, though.
How hard would it be to convert 'morrowind' maps to 'regular' / 'standard' maps?

When using this mod:

I get results like this which are wrong:
http://imgur.com/a/U27bl ( viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3337&start=60#p38646 )

When i use morrowind rebirth i get results like this:
http://imgur.com/a/ofrJ0 ( viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3337&start=110#p38794 )

Now to my un-educated eye in these matters the main issue i can see is that some of the maps being applied are too 'bright', in the case of the rocks it looks like it's at it's maximum.

To me it looks like specular maps are too intense although the forum conversations linked to above mention it being an issue with normal maps. I know as much as specular maps can make thing's shiny, and normal maps help with shadows and details?

I have also gathered that morrowind did not support some type's of maps and these were made possible by graphic extenders and things and as a result?, morrowind did not use 'standard' normal mapping and instead had it's own, i'm not sure if this counts with specular maps too.

With the mods mentioned above, is there any way to extract the map's in question, process them in some kind of batchable way ( e.g to convert 'morrowind' normal maps to 'standard' normal maps), and then re-import those converted textures back into the mod files, and how easy would this be?

Or would it be a case that the formats are so different that the only way to do it is to manually re-create the maps from scratch?

Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic » 15 Apr 2016, 19:39

Cannot write more about the matter atm. See here for info about weird reflect. The same applies to Lougian's "Hlaalu Bumpmapped" mod.

Kyosho

Post by Kyosho » 17 Apr 2016, 03:44

This is cool stuff. I'm more of a fan of Oblivion's combat than Morrowind's, but being able to use Oblivion's world and assets in OpenMW could be interesting for mods.

(Actually this is just a post so I get email reminders if people post in this thread. Sorry! 8-) )

openmwfan27

Post by openmwfan27 » 20 Apr 2016, 17:08

What would be good for post 1.0, probably quite far past 1.0 is an underlying API or subsystem you can hook into so you can make the physic's engine modular, the cell asset and loading modular, terrain rendering modular etc... Then by default OpenMW only contains the modules needed to run morrowind, then you could add an oblivion-style physics engine to your game, or make procedurally generated terrain, a modified 'asset' loader so you could have the external side of buildings, but as you got closer to them it could load the interiors in the same cell space and then you could seamlessly walk inside / outside buildings, see the exterior world from inside the building etc..

This would enable you to create diverse and creative projects which go way beyond the scope of morrowind itself.

Ideally for implementing functionality like mentioned above you would not want to for example create a fork of morrowind, strip out the terrain related code, replace it with your own implementation then you have a seperate version of the openmw engine. It makes more sense to make the OpenMW Engine's core as flexible as possible so it's capable of supporting a wide range of functionality, this focuses the efforts of the openmw team towards building an excellent engine, and also makes community related projects and modules more portable, if you make a new physic's engine for your OpenMW game and want to share it, just share the module, someone else can drop it into their openmw project, switch it out for the stock physics engine and then work from there.

You could apply patches and updates to the core OpenMW engine easily without having to worry about all of the 'non-stock' code you wrote, you could update the 3rd party modules just as easily, then to issue an update to your game you just re-compile the engine with the updates and release it to your users.

I guess another area this modular functionality would have is in the scripting language. You could add 'script parser' modules to your openmw project, then is any content files that have a script with say .lua at the end, it would pass that script to the lua parser, same with .py, if no module can be found attempt mwscript.

TheInternet

Post by TheInternet » 22 Apr 2016, 21:22

A few years ago I looked into porting Nehrim to OpenMW, as SureAI who developed it said it was fine! We'd have a full game to distribute! If OpenMW-CS can import the Oblivion-based files easily, that would be amazing. I'm still waiting for OpenMW-CS to be usable before starting that project, though.

Chris

Post by Chris » 22 Apr 2016, 22:22

TheInternet wrote:A few years ago I looked into porting Nehrim to OpenMW, as SureAI who developed it said it was fine! We'd have a full game to distribute!
Unfortunately Nehrim is not truly a total conversion. IIRC, it still uses some stock Oblivion assets, either directly or as a base for their own changed version, which we wouldn't be able to distribute.

commodore256

Post by commodore256 » 23 Apr 2016, 10:32

Chris wrote:Unfortunately Nehrim is not truly a total conversion. IIRC, it still uses some stock Oblivion assets, either directly or as a base for their own changed version, which we wouldn't be able to distribute.
Well, the Oblivion assets could act as placeholders until they can source their own assets. The Kickstarter could be like "The game's done, but we need to pay for artists so we can replace these assets so we won't get sued".

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a » 23 Apr 2016, 11:11

And the animations? I'm going to assume that all the characters, models and KFs are also from Oblivion.

Having look over what is necessary for just the template and example suite, there are quite a lot of things that needed to be replaced.