Suggestion for a better modding experience

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Hidronax

Suggestion for a better modding experience

Post by Hidronax »

Hello :D
These are some suggestions I came up with (what I've always dreamed to change in Morrowind Engine).

Advanced equip system
I've been modding Morrowind for quite some time now, and there are a couple things that have always bothered me in how gear is equipped:
1. The limit on the body parts you can hide/replace (about 7 if I remember correctly).
2. You can't make a model appear on the body part without it disappearing.

It would be great to get rid of those limits, and I think it's not impossible... is it?

Animations via console
In ESO animations can be triggered via script (like, crying or sitting or eating an apple...), an this makes NPC look more alive. It would be great to have something like that in OpenMW too if that's possible, commands that can be used by modders while scripting to make characters dance, sit, cry (and usable by the player too, via console).
It would also allow for example a special 'levitation' animation while levitating etc.
Although I don't know if this is possible, or if it's already possible in vanilla MW.

Skies
Morrowind offers a wonderful but limited collection of possible weathers/skies, I'd love to be able to create new ones. For example, some time ago I wanted to make a 'Shivering Isles' mod and I wanted to make my own sky. Unfortunately that's not possible...

Summonable gear
In Morrowind you can summon bound weapons/armor, but it's hard-coded and you can't make your own summonable gear.

Magic effects
Magic effects are hard-coded too, which can become quite annoying sometimes.

I can't think of anything else for now, tell me if you consider any of these suggestions possible.
jirka642

Re: Suggestion for a better modding experience

Post by jirka642 »

Hidronax wrote: Animations via console
In ESO animations can be triggered via script (like, crying or sitting or eating an apple...), an this makes NPC look more alive. It would be great to have something like that in OpenMW too if that's possible, commands that can be used by modders while scripting to make characters dance, sit, cry (and usable by the player too, via console).
It would also allow for example a special 'levitation' animation while levitating etc.
Although I don't know if this is possible, or if it's already possible in vanilla MW.
I remember that I once saw some dancing NPCs in Suran, so this should have already been possible in vanilla engine. (but maybe not in such extent)

Also, this might interest you: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Wishlist
Chris

Re: Suggestion for a better modding experience

Post by Chris »

jirka642 wrote:I remember that I once saw some dancing NPCs in Suran, so this should have already been possible in vanilla engine. (but maybe not in such extent)
That's done by adding an animation nif to the NPC instance in the CS, with the nif overriding one of the pre-defined animations (Idle9 in the case of those dancers, IIRC). They were then given an Idle AI package, set to play that idle animation more often than others.

The ability to script new animations was added in Oblivion, where they also separated the animations into different files (instead of having them all together in one nif). So you could provide a nif that defines a completely new NPC animation, then call the PlayIdle script command with that animation name on any NPC to play it.