Item Grouping

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
lef42

Item Grouping

Post by lef42 »

Just wondering if we could maybe make items of the same type group better when in inventory and stored.
chaosislife

Re: Item Grouping

Post by chaosislife »

I'm guessing what you're referring to are the items that have scripts attached, like the Ordinator outfits. The game won't stack them because they've got scripts attached and it handles each of them as a separate instance, possibly because each of their scripts are running while they're in your inventory. Making them stack would indeed be nice, as well as if we could simply retain a log of previously created enchanted items to clone later so they could stack as well. I tend to make enchanted outfits for everyone.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

I have also noticed that sometimes there are two stacks of the same item in an inventory, I have not checked yet due to other problems but it seems one stack is legally obtained items the other is stolen ones. If this is so it fixes the vanilla bug that taints all your legal items as stolen if you add a stolen one to the list.
chaosislife

Post by chaosislife »

Really tho, what should happen when you steal something from someone is that they get a script attached to them that makes them recognize what item you're trying to sell them as belonging to them, but only the number of said items stolen from them, for instance stealing 1 diamond from Nalcayra during the thieves guild quest should only make you lose 1 diamond when later trying to pawn off a dozen of them to her. Then again, it doesn't make sense that they don't call for the guards every time they see you after you rob them. If you knew someone had stolen something from you why would you continue to do business with them?
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Recognizing stolen items should really be a percentage chance, based on value and rarity. You won't recognize a scrap of paper as belonging to yourself after all, unless it's a very unique paper - say with writing on it.

But I guess that's a post-1.0 feature if anything.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

Restocking items stack separately from non-restocking instances of the same object as well. Ajira starts with five restocking units of crab meat, but often has a sixth one for sale in her initial stock. That shows up as two stacks of crab meat, one restocking and one not.

If you try to expand her stock by buying all her crabmeat and selling it back, you get two stacks again - a stack of five restocking units and another one with all the units you've sold back to her.

(I know fixing the restock mechanism is a separate issue - but it has a bearing on the stacking, so I thought I'd mention it)