List of suggestions for new players

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Uncanny

List of suggestions for new players

Post by Uncanny »

Let me start by saying that I never played Morrowind until last week. But after following this project for a while and with the release of OpenMW 0.31, I finally decided to give it a try. You could say that this project inspired me to start playing. And I been enjoyed playing Morrowind so far so, thank you. :)

I have been switching between OpenMW and the original engine (+Morrowind graphic extender and etc) when playing. OpenMW is still a few steps behind in what it offers... but it's going to be interesting to see how it evolves. I think that OpenMW has great potential, especially to introduce new players like myself to the game. With that said I thought I would share some suggestion for future post 1.0 features. And this is from the perspective of someone who never played Morrowind before, but has played the newer Elder Scrolls games.

1.An "Open Morrowind Data Files folder"- button in the OpenMW launcher
Inspired by the Nexus mod Manager, which has this feature. Great if you quickly want to open that folder to manually add or delete any mod or files. It's really useful.

2. Oblivion and Skyrim (and of course Morrowind) preset control-configuration options
Automatically changes the key-configuration (and perhaps a few other settings, such as the overall camera behavior) to that of other Elder scrolls games (as well to the default Morrowind settings). This will make it much easier for new players to get into the game.

3. Take All (from containers) quick key
A really nice feature from Skyrim (I don't remember if Oblivion had this), which makes looting everything from a container (which I often do), a lot smother and quicker.

4. (Empty) tag or similar to show that containers are empty
Another nice feature from Skyrim which I miss in Morrowind. It makes certain moments less tedious. Could be included as an option, since it might not be liked by everyone.

5. Gamma Correction slider
I noticed that there is currently no way to change the overall brightness/darkness in the option menu...

6. Repair all button
I believe that Oblivion had this. A "Repair All" button in the bottom of the Repair screen. Starts repairing all your equipment until either your equipment is fully fixed or you run out of repair hammers.

7. Option to hide Crosshair unless you are drawing a ranged weapons
I personally like to play Morrowind without the crosshair. Most of the times it serves no function and only breaks immersion... until I need to use my bow or throw something, then I really miss and need it. Is perhaps a more personal wish than the other suggestions.

8. Improved world map
Finding your way around Morrowind is not that easy and sometimes slightly frustrating. As I understand it, the world map i Morrowind (when you uncover it) is not pre-drawn. It is created while you are playing, where each pixel is of the overall color of each section you uncover. If so, would it be possible to increase the resolution of the map? Double, quadruple or perhaps even more? Perhaps if a zoom function was added, you could end up with something like this. ;)

http://www.uesp.net/maps/mwmap/mwmap.shtml
ezze

Re: List of suggestions for new players

Post by ezze »

I like the Point 7, I would also activate the crosshair when there are items nearby near the center of the screen to make easy to pickup.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Uncanny wrote: 3. Take All (from containers) quick key
A really nice feature from Skyrim (I don't remember if Oblivion had this), which makes looting everything from a container (which I often do), a lot smother and quicker.
Now that you say it, isn't "take all" activated when you hit space when a container is open in vanilla morrowind?
TheMechanist

Post by TheMechanist »

lysol wrote:
Uncanny wrote: 3. Take All (from containers) quick key
Now that you say it, isn't "take all" activated when you hit space when a container is open in vanilla morrowind?
No, this is added optionally by the Morrowind Code Patcher...
BlueFootedBooby

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

3. Take All (from containers) quick key
Agreed, but it needs to be way more consistent and thought out than Skyrim's. In Skyrim the same key will do different and often opposite things depending on what kind container you're in. It's very easy to accidentally transfer a whole bunch of items, which is incredibly annoying. It really should be the same absolutely everywhere: Take all, Give all, and maybe spacebar for transfer highlighted item if we're supporting mouseless interaction.
4. (Empty) tag or similar to show that containers are empty
Another nice feature from Skyrim which I miss in Morrowind. It makes certain moments less tedious. Could be included as an option, since it might not be liked by everyone.
Oh god this. I'm also a fan of the mods that replace flowers etc that have been harvested with, eg, "headless" flowers or de-fruited bushes. It saves you huge amounts of time in two second increments.

A [visited] tag on dungeons would be great too.
7. Option to hide Crosshair unless you are drawing a ranged weapons
I personally like to play Morrowind without the crosshair. Most of the times it serves no function and only breaks immersion... until I need to use my bow or throw something, then I really miss and need it. Is perhaps a more personal wish than the other suggestions.
So, uh, do you take your bow out whenever you need to pick stuff up, or what?

I'm totally down for UI elements hiding when they aren't needed, though, like fading out the bars when they're all full
8. Improved world map
Finding your way around Morrowind is not that easy and sometimes slightly frustrating. As I understand it, the world map i Morrowind (when you uncover it) is not pre-drawn. It is created while you are playing, where each pixel is of the overall color of each section you uncover. If so, would it be possible to increase the resolution of the map? Double, quadruple or perhaps even more? Perhaps if a zoom function was added, you could end up with something like this. ;)

http://www.uesp.net/maps/mwmap/mwmap.shtml
If I recall correctly, you also can't put notes on the world map, and you can't scroll to parts of the local map beyond a certain distance. I'd love for something more fleshed out. Obviously something for after v1, but I think something like that web utility (but hiding things you haven't found yet) would be ideal.