Smoother cell transitions

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
dEnigma

Re: Smoother cell transitions

Post by dEnigma »

Gramblosh wrote:Okay, that's interesting. Had a look at the console and even (without vurt's grass enabled) there are a lot of these error messages, didn't expect them to have such an impact. Is there something like a switch to make the engine ignore such errors until that bug got fixed?
Sorry, I have no idea, maybe a developer can tell you.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Probably. I'm not a dev, but it seems like it would be easy enough to add an event handler and just tell it to not do anything.
BlueFootedBooby

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

dEnigma wrote:
Gramblosh wrote:But that would - to me at least - only explain the FPS hit but not the increased load time on cell change.
It actually displays all those errors during loading, and with a few hundred of those I guess that can really impact loading times. (though I'm not sure if Vurt's Grass has the same problem)
Haha, I love issues like these. I encountered an issue at work where some debug code that printed to console not only slowed things down from miliseconds to dozens of seconds, it also caused a bug being debugged to mysteriously vanish. The time difference was just enough to resolve our accidental async. Programming is fun!
rab

Post by rab »

BlueFootedBooby wrote:Haha, I love issues like these. I encountered an issue at work where some debug code that printed to console not only slowed things down from miliseconds to dozens of seconds...
I was sent to a major Malaysian bank once to try and debug a problem they were having with a really old out of support version of our software. Every so often the software would keel over, seemed to happen if it was running for a long time, so they restarted the software every night to avoid it happening in the middle of the day. The software wasn't designed to be stopped (at least not in the way they were using it - not even close to how it had been intended) so they just killed the main task. Then when they restarted it it output a lot of debug info (having detected the unexpected termination) to a 3270 terminal - it took 6 hours to restart and all that time their internet banking was down, every night! I redirected it to a file and it went from 6 hours down time a night to a couple of minutes. That allowed us to have a lot more time to actually work on the problem during those hours (and once fixed they were able to run their internet banking site 24 hours a day instead of just 16). I think from memory this was around 2004!