OpenMW/OpenCS and Blender

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Tes96

OpenMW/OpenCS and Blender

Post by Tes96 » 15 May 2014, 23:03

Will modelling for OpenMW be any different from vanilla Morrowind? There's a specific version of Blender that works well with Morrowind, which, strangely enough, isn't the most up-to-date version of Blender. I'm wondering how OpenMW/OpenCS will work in regards to Blender. Will it work with the latest versions of Blender?
Project-Tamriel

"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Tarius

Re: OpenMW/OpenCS and Blender

Post by Tarius » 15 May 2014, 23:57

Models are models are models. The only difference is what format they need to be in.
I am a bigger fan of tons of control rather than taking the "user-friendly" approach.
-Okulo

Tes96

Post by Tes96 » 16 May 2014, 00:21

Tarius wrote:Models are models are models. The only difference is what format they need to be in.
Thanks. I was just wondering if things would be different as far as modeling. Out of curiosity, do you know why Morrowind only works well with one specific version of Blender?

But why is it that the models in Morrowind look so shitty while the models in Skyrim look... well... not nearly as shitty. I mean, they're both .NIF format. :?
Project-Tamriel

"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

SquireNed

Post by SquireNed » 16 May 2014, 01:26

Morrowind doesn't support the animation features of later games. As far as the visual difference, it comes down largely to shaders, textures, and polygons, and the advances in each as machines became more powerful.

NIF is a somewhat difficult format to work in as far as tools availability goes (of course, that's not to say that there aren't a bazillion worse formats, it's just not terribly well supported), and the plugins for Blender require a version that uses a different Python version/format/interface/insert-appropriate-word-here and supports different scripting functions than the modern Blender.

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a » 16 May 2014, 08:04

In theory, OpenMW supports whatever Ogre3D supports plus Morrowind's NIF support. If it doesn't, file a bug (feature request). ;)

sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka » 16 May 2014, 08:19

OpenMW will support ogre format, but it does not at the moment.

Tes96

Post by Tes96 » 16 May 2014, 15:51

Is it plausible with Ogre3D for models to use tessellation with DirectX 11 so that they are curved and smooth, like in the Unigine demo? We know that the Unigine engine has superior optimization and can handle all that rendering. And with Morrowind's landmass you'd probably need an i7-4960X processor overclocked at 1.2 Terahertz to do that.

I imagine that OpenMW and Ogre3D will be radically different ten years from now. My main concern is keeping Morrowind as close to being up-to-date with modern graphics and technology as possible, so that in 50 years, when we're all geriatrics, we won't be playing a game that still looks like it was made in the late 1990s... unless that is the intention, of course.

And with province projects growing bigger, the overall map of Tamriel will become more dense and intense for a computer to render all in one shot, granted you have infinite view distance enabled.
Project-Tamriel

psi29a

Post by psi29a » 16 May 2014, 16:14

Tes96 wrote:My main concern is keeping Morrowind as close to being up-to-date with modern graphics and technology as possible, so that in 50 years, when we're all geriatrics, we won't be playing a game that still looks like it was made in the late 1990s... unless that is the intention, of course.
You can't "fix" vanilla Morrowind, you'll always be limited to the assets they shipped with the game. Look at all the Morrowind to Obliviion port (porting assets, not recreating them). It adds a new coat of paint, shiny this and that, but it will look like it was made in 2002.

Now people can mod the hell out of Morrowind and OpenMW and create better looking assets.

OpenMW and Ogre3D will advance and will take Morrowind with it, that is for sure. But you can't magically make a low-polygon model with low resolution textures created in the early 2000s and expect it look as awesome as something created now.
Tes96 wrote:And with province projects growing bigger, the overall map of Tamriel will become more dense and intense for a computer to render all in one shot, granted you have infinite view distance enabled.
There is no such thing as infinite view distance. You are limited by your map in this case and yes, TR is getting bigger every day. There is a cut-off point where you are physically no longer able to see things in the distance... same holds true in game with the amount of information you can fit into a pixel. Your physical screen resolution will dictate what you are able to see.

SquareRoot(height above surface / 0.5736) = distance to horizon

WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy » 16 May 2014, 16:57

BrotherBrick wrote:SquareRoot(height above surface / 0.5736) = distance to horizon
only on Earth :)

psi29a

Post by psi29a » 16 May 2014, 22:57

WeirdSexy wrote:
BrotherBrick wrote:SquareRoot(height above surface / 0.5736) = distance to horizon
only on Earth :)
Yeah... I keep forgetting that Morrowind, like the rest (Daggerfall and Skyrim) all exist on the same _flat_ world.

The world isn't round isn it. ;)