New types of crime.

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Jyby

New types of crime.

Post by Jyby »

Just speculating, what do you think about extending the engine to allow for new types of crime?
Muggings anyone? White-collar crimes? Littering?
What would you want to be able to do?
Custom reactions to crime? NPC alarm values?
Tes96

Re: New types of crime.

Post by Tes96 »

Well, if we were to ever be able to have destruction magic affect the environment, like burning flora and homes, I'd love to have that be a crime. Hell, even have a TESV-esque system where if you're casting Destruction magic arbitrarily in a town, the guards say something in the form of a text box popup. Hmm, sounds more like an external mod addon.

Crimes for not paying taxes but that's also an external mod.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Currently the engine does not support additional crimes beyond vanilla morrowind. If we wish to add new crimes we'll need to design an extendable crime system.

I like your idea about burning down houses! That could be fun. Heck it could even kill the occupants and could cause the death of some essential creatures lol.

I think this feature would rely heavily on scripting and engine plugins in order to make it accessible to the new construction set.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Necromancy in public areas should be a crime. There is a lot of dialogue in the game alluding to that, but the guards just don't care.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Oh, I just thought of one! Dwemer artifacts, armor and weapons. All things dwemer are apparently property of the empire. So wearing Dwemer armor would may have the guards approach you and question where you got it and what you're doing with it. Might be more trouble than it's worth though.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Indoril armor crime detection has not been implemented. I will create a post in development about the steps we should take.

It seems like we have a few categories for crimes:

Player actions (steal, assault, trespass etc)
Environment (indirect crimes due to player actions, burn a house down, magic?)
Player ownership (Summoned creatures, indoril armor, skooma use, drunk)

What about slaves? Is slavery ever abolished? If a player frees a slave in front of guards that could be a crime.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Jyby wrote:Indoril armor crime detection has not been implemented. I will create a post in development about the steps we should take.

It seems like we have a few categories for crimes:

Player actions (steal, assault, trespass etc)
Environment (indirect crimes due to player actions, burn a house down, magic?)
Player ownership (Summoned creatures, indoril armor, skooma use, drunk)

What about slaves? Is slavery ever abolished? If a player frees a slave in front of guards that could be a crime.
Good idea, Jyby. Slaves are property and by freeing them you are essentially "stealing" someone else's property. If the player frees a slave in front of certain NPCs, they could turn you into the guards. Although not all NPCs of all races agree with slavery, so that would have to be sorted out.
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

Summoning anything in town is supposed to be against the law, it just isn't implemented (or doesn't work) in Morrowind. There was a splash screen for the XBox version of the game which stated it.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Personally I think the Indoril thing should be removed; I remember reading that some people use it as steady gold supply; just walk around with Indoril reward; since Ordinators attack first you have no bounty to worry about.

About the topic I think the biggest lack is trespassing... I always felt weird that to get an house you simply have to unlock the door, pay the fee, and use the house.
MacKom

Post by MacKom »

Trespassing seconded. Since OMW will have more scripting capabilities, an NPC schedule should be implemented to get trespassing crime tho.

As for Indoril armor - wouldn`t it be great if you were able to wear it after being declared Nerevarine or becoming the Temples top honcho?