Dual Wielding via animation layering?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Markelius

Dual Wielding via animation layering?

Post by Markelius »

So I realize combat and animation layering hasn't even been implemented yet, but I had an idea I wanted to ask about here. So mirrored versions of Morrowind's animations are available for people who want to play left handed characters, my question is would OpenMw be able to make use of those in order to have dual wielding?

Say you equip two shortswords, one in each hand. When clicking one button you attack with one, and the right handed animation plays, and when clicking another you attack with the other weapon, and the left handed animation plays.

Seeing as how the animations are already out there, I thought this may be relatively easy to implement art-wise, but I'm no programmer, so could someone tell me if this is doable?
nnayo

Re: Dual Wielding via animation layering?

Post by nnayo »

nice idea!
that's enough of the rigth-handed people dictak!!! :D
Glorfdev

Post by Glorfdev »

Remember that right mouse button opens character menu... It could be a problem :D

Anyway, it could be possible only via engine plug-in (so very, very post-1.0)
Markelius

Post by Markelius »

Glorfdev wrote:Remember that right mouse button opens character menu... It could be a problem :D

Anyway, it could be possible only via engine plug-in (so very, very post-1.0)
In Skyrim I don't use the right click for it anyways, it won't really be that much of a problem because users should be able to set the secondary attack key to any button they choose.

And what do you mean "only via engine plugin" "post-1.0"? Does this mean it would never be part of any of the main builds? I guess that makes sense considering you'd need to distribute the extra animations for it. But how difficult would this be to implement? As I said I don't know really anything about programming so you'll have to enlighten me on that. :P
Glorfdev

Post by Glorfdev »

I have completely no experience with animations, but I think that with animation layering it shouldn't be something really hard to do. But I'm sure that Zini will never put it into master. We want to make players able to play game that is as much simillar to vanillia as possible (or improved), but without new features. New features will be added with some kind of engine mods, or in separated branches.

EDIT: I think only about features like this, that change gameplay a lot, minor improvements are welcome, of course.

So, I don't say no, but not this moment. Please, remind us about it after we'll release 1.0.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

i think that dual wielding with mirrored animation won't look good. Also making dual wielding would require changes in the gui since equiping/unequiping weapon would be quite annoying.
nnayo

Post by nnayo »

oh come on!!!
let me play a left-handed PC!
please!!!
:D
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

That looks easier. But post 1.0.0 anyway.
SGMonkey

Post by SGMonkey »

I was about to make a post about this myself. Luckily I had a quick search and found this.

I understand this isn't a massive priority but it would be great to have this in Morrowind.

Personally, I don't care too much for wielding two weapons, more a weapon and a spell. I know Hrnchamd touched on this a bit with the MCP but obviously, that won't really be relevant here.

As far as the interface goes, it shouldn't be too difficult to alter it. Drag and drop to left or right hand on the character profile maybe? As for right click being open the Inventory, I haven't used it that way myself for years. I tend to use "tab" or "I". And I'm sure people wouldn't mind altering that if it allowed for better combat.

This brings me to a question. How does the team plan to handle optional mechanics and such post 1.0? Kinda like enabling and disabling mods? Or are optional tweaks not on the table?

Cheers guys. Sorry for the necro barrage post.