Multiplayer?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Fowst

Multiplayer?

Post by Fowst »

Hey guys,

I'm obsessed with the Idea of playing morrowind online. That's why I spent a lot of time collecting thoughts on it and possibilities to solve them. Although there was a topic before that discussed Multiplayer, I have to say it`s title doesn't say anything about Multiplayer so we could just use this topic here to discuss the ideas. I will also add quotes from the last multiplayer topic talking about problems and I'll try to find a solution.

I decided to rethink my MMO Ideas and stick to the smaller scale co-op Idea. (Maybe up to 8 players) I'll post my co-op Ideas another time and I'm gonna edit this post once again.
These are my old Ideas, summarized in one Spoiler, but I think it's not going to happen.

Spoiler: Show
Last edited by Fowst on 22 Mar 2013, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.
sirherrbatka

Re: Multiplayer?

Post by sirherrbatka »

topic moved
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Could we please have a sticky topic for multiplayer? Maybe that one?

@Frowst: I had a look at San Andreas: Multiplayer and it looks like it's not open source. Much of the tools around it are, and the source code was released on at least one occasion, but could you tell under which license it was released under?

Another multiplayer GTA mod I found is Multi Theft Auto which is a proper open source project.
Fowst

Post by Fowst »

@pvdk: You're probably right, saying that the program SA:MP itself is not open source. You can still do anything you want with the pawno editor for example adding npcs, quests, factions, attach objects to player, changing the map and so on.If you upload it to your servers, you got pretty much open source because you can do with the game what you want.

Back to multiplayer for morrowind or openmw in specific...I just started writing and after about 40 minutes I realized I got a huge load of Ideas concerning multiplayer and I'm not gonna finish my post in one day so I started a text file and I'm gonna submit it within the next few days.

greetz

EDIT: The topic linked was not only about multiplayer, I suggest we keep this one here or a team member opens one in order to collect all multiplayer-related requests.

EDIT2: Posted and edited the original post :) It's long but in my opinion worth reading.
Hrawwaaaa

Post by Hrawwaaaa »

hi everybody!

i have for a long time been thinking about the possibilities and problems that would go along with making a TES game into a functioning MMO.
i realize that OpenMW is not primarily a MP-oriented project, but the lone fact that with your open source game engine a working MP system could be implemented is enough to let my mind go crazy with thoughts about what could be done.. and how this would work.
Fowst wrote:Hey guys,

I'm obsessed with the Idea of playing morrowind online. That's why I spent a lot of time collecting thoughts on it and possibilities to solve them. Although there was a topic before that discussed Multiplayer, I have to say it`s title doesn't say anything about Multiplayer so we could just use this topic here to discuss the ideas. I will also add quotes from the last multiplayer topic talking about problems and I'll try to find a solution.

I decided to rethink my MMO Ideas and stick to the smaller scale co-op Idea. (Maybe up to 8 players) I'll post my co-op Ideas another time and I'm gonna edit this post once again.
These are my old Ideas, summarized in one Spoiler, but I think it's not going to happen.

Spoiler: Show
the points and ideas you brought up are a good start, so i think i will just do some additional brainstorming about some gameplay mechanics that i thought off. i'm sure half of the crap i'll bring up will be impossible to realize, but anyway :P

- i agree that "sleeping" needs to be reworked into "resting", like it is done in most MMOs, i.e. players will rest in realtime (i think 5 minutes is way too long, maybe a minute at max) to regenerate, without affecting the rest of the server.
- every NPC should be killable and every NPC/monster has a respawn chain (alternative: cell resetting, see bolow). for "normal" enemies, i.e. NPCs and monsters that are always hostile, this respawn will be quite fast (between 1 and 2 minutes). for "friendly" NPCs the respawn will take a few minutes longer. this enables the player(s) to "raid" on certain areas/cities if they want to - for example if they are playing as vampires or part of evil underground organizations.
- there could be special "PVP" areas like arenas, where palyers can fight each other for fun. if a player kills another player or a friendly NPC in a non PVP area, he will be confronted with cityguards (read next point).
- if players become vampires or simply behave evil, they would be attacked by every city guard in any city. if you pay for your sins, everything will be fine again. if you decide to make a stand against the law, you will be attacked until you die (or simply escape). after that, you will again get the chance to pay for your sins, and so on. for vampires, of course the only way to turn back to normal would be to get rid of their vampirism.
- in the beginning of the game, players could choose a religion/cult that they belong to. if they "die", they would respawn at the nearest temple of their religion (pretty much like almsivi/divine intervention works). so you don't really "die", instead you get cared for and patched up. of course you have to pay a certain, not negligible amount of money each time this happens, plus maybe some negative effect that will stay for a while, so you should try to prevent this from happening.
- there would be a huge problem with the looting of areas. for example, once a cave is cleared of enemies and every corner is plundered, NPCs would respawn but all the containers would stay empty. of course this same problem exists with exterior Cells. add to this that players can throw away the crap of their inventory anywhere, and in a short time you end up with completely messed up cells of empty containers and useless stuff laying around everywhere. maybe a good solution to this would be that the server automatically resets whole Cells to default. my idea is that the server is monitoring a Cell once a player enters, and after a certain amount of time after the last player left that Cell (let's say 10 minutes), that Cell is "inactive" (i. e. no other player entered it) and it gets completely reset.
- i am not a fan of instanced areas and in my opinion especially in an TES-MMO those would be pretty immersion-breaking (also i think the available landmass is big enough to provide for alot of players, plus you have additional landmasses from mods like Tamriel Rebuilt that could be added). however i think it would be a cool idea to have houses available in alot of towns and cities that the players can buy, like in Skyrim. these places could then be instanced interiors that only the "owner" is able to enter (i'm thinking of like how the starships in SWTOR work) and there players have lots of space and containers to store their stuff. players also could buy additional houses in other places.

of course all of the above points could be altered by the server, so each host could create the settings that he prefers.

so, these were just my $ 0,02 on the subject
mormorte

Post by mormorte »

Orge engine is a server-client base? IMHO, the idea of multiplayer in conflict with the original setting of Morrowind, not sure that the multiplayer can create painless for setting, gameplay and game mechanics.
Fowst

Post by Fowst »

Hey guys, I'm back :)

MMO-Style Morrowind is in fact possible and could be archieved through some hard work. But a little co-op server for some fewer players would be easier and maybe even more fun...

Let me just write down my thoughts on the smaller co-op thing:

This whole thing could be implemented as a "LAN-Game" supported by hamachi, tunngle and whatever there is similar to those programs. A new menu button for Multiplayer to enter the ip adress and so on...

Most importantly, savegames should be split into two new file types, which can be imported.
1) Client save, including skills, inventory, spells, level
2) Host save, including all changes to the map, like e.g. caused by events like fusions of 2 factions or a certain game progress

If the Server host saves a game, he saves the quest progress into his regular savegame file. A client joining a multiplayer session should only load his client save to prevent problems that could occur if there are different quest progresses.

Like this, players could play their quests together and go for the loot hunt. Here are some additional thoughts:

- Sleeping could be managed like in minecraft*, maybe in additions all the accounts and quest progesses could be saved and there could be additional beds (available rooms?) in taverns.
- Players would have to share their loot and loot would be available only once.
- Console commands could be useful, not obligatory though.

*sleeping in minecraft: in minecraft, if all players go to bed, the night is skipped, time is set to a certain value.

greetz
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

I am sure someone might try this later one, as for now, things precede as planned; that is, get the game working as close to MW as possible.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Tarius wrote:I am sure someone might try this later one, as for now, things precede as planned; that is, get the game working as close to MW as possible.
A voice of sanity.

Make openmw as good as tes first, then make it better, then if someone wants to fork it into any sort of multiplayer let them, but keep the real openmw single player. I, for one, will never play any sort of multiplayer game.

Rather than a separate thread for multiplayer, why not a separate project so the real tes players do not have to look at it?
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Tinker wrote:Rather than a separate thread for multiplayer, why not a separate project so the real tes players do not have to look at it?
Multiplayer anyway doesn't affect on the single player.