Realistic lockpicking

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Br0ken

Realistic lockpicking

Post by Br0ken »

I recently came across an interesting game, "LockGame 3D". There's a very realistic lockpicking! It would be great if similar mini-game appeared in OpenMW as post-1.0 feature.
ezzetabi

Re: Realistic lockpicking

Post by ezzetabi »

If you (or anyone) want to do such a mod it would be nice. But remember that you should also work on the spell Open Lock, otherwise you risk to make the skill even more useless.

I also like the idea implemented in ``The Dark Mod'', it is nice easy to understand but hard to master. However I do not know of to make it skill dependent.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

I liked the Oblivion style lockpicking because I gained real skill that couldnt be taken away when I restarted the game. haha
Last edited by Tarius on 07 Sep 2012, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

I like the good old morrowind style because it really mattered what skill you had, in oblivion or skyrim you could open locks above your lvl way to easily. I loved that you really had to invest in the skill to gain access to some areas/containers...
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I suppose you could still utilize the character skill level in addition to human-mini-game skill.

example on low levels;
-coordination of the controls will be warped to some degree
-tools will be shaking and not in much control
-input will be delayed
-the tool will move slowly
-the visual and sounds will be blurred
-the tool being jammed temporarily and permanently, especially in locks higher than the player skill. (tight, well manufactured locks are hard to pick)

Those sorts of things, akin to the leveling in Tony Hawk Pro Skater games.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

That sounds good good. I've never been a fan of those mini games as they get old very quickly. Reminds me of GTA Chinatown Wars where when you wanted to steal a car you had to override the alarm. It was fun the first two times, then it became stupid because every time i was doing the same and there waas no real challenge in it. So why did I even have to do that, why not just assume my character has that ability? Same thing in Morrowind, instead of playing a silly mini game every time I just roll the dice and see if it works or doesn't, the lockpicking in Oblivion was just tedious.
Same thing for combat, rolling the dice and and missing might have been annoying in Morrowind, but at least it made sense that you would improve your skill and hit better. In Oblivion even a mage could hit hard with a sword. I think he best solution woul be to keep it arcady like in Oblivion, but make the animation dependent on your skill. A character with a low skill would have really clunky and slow swings and even the animation's direction would be somewhat randomized, making it harder to hit an making you more vulnerable during the attack. As you progress you attacks get faster and more prcise until in the end you could perform an open heart surgery with a battle axe :D That would require a really smooth animation system, like in Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.
Chris

Post by Chris »

HiPhish wrote:Same thing for combat, rolling the dice and and missing might have been annoying in Morrowind, but at least it made sense that you would improve your skill and hit better. In Oblivion even a mage could hit hard with a sword.
In Oblivion you would hit better with a higher skill. If you didn't train your sword skill at all, got up to level 20+, then picked up a sword and started hitting away at things, you'd have a tough time. Many people actually had/have problems like that, where characters level up with non-combat skills like speechcraft, security, and armorer, that the enemies and their gear all leveled so the characters' combat skills were too low to handle them.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

I also like the morrowind lock concept picking the best (player skill only). The open lock spell in morrowind I hate though, because it really makes the lock picking skill useless.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

I also like the morrowind lock concept picking the best (player skill only). The open lock spell in morrowind I hate though, because it really makes the lock picking skill useless.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Yea, the spell is rather powerful. Even with a mod though, I dont see how you can remedy this fact unless you made the spell prohibitively expensive and hard to cast. Even then, you still have lock splitter scrolls laying around, some of which are given during quests.
I know it does take a few levels in magic to be able to actually cast a full 100pnt lock spell though. So how that stacks up to the skill, I dont know as I never played a thief.