UI Scaling

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Mallion

UI Scaling

Post by Mallion »

I'm new to OpenMW but as a long-time fan of the game I'm really excited to see it's not only still got a following but that it appears to be thriving!

I installed OpenMW and when I set the resolution to 3840 x 2160 the UI stays the same size as for 1920 x 1080 which makes it appear extremely small.

Can a UI scale slider be implemented so players can adjust the size as needed? This game relies heavily on reading and while I love that about it, the text is so small that I have to strain my eyes to make out what it says. That simply won't do for a serious play-thru. I can live with a tiny little health bar and minimap but the dialog screens are another story altogether.

I've tried increasing scale as well as the font size in the "settings.cfg" file but it had no effect on the in-game UI.
If anyone knows how to fix this with something I'm simply overlooking I would be greatly appreciative! Thank you.
AnyOldName3

Re: UI Scaling

Post by AnyOldName3 »

What precisely did you do to try and change the scaling factor? It does exactly what you want, so you're probably setting it incorrectly, e.g. by getting the setting name wrong, editing the wrong file, or a simple typo.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

There is a "GUI scaling factor" setting in the OpenMW's launcher (Advanced - > Interface tab).
Mallion

Post by Mallion »

Thank you both for your replies. I figured it out. I was editing the settings.cfg file in the OpenMW install directory, not the user settings.cfg. My apologies.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
Screenshot.jpg
Last edited by Mallion on 02 Sep 2021, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I was editing the settings.cfg file in the OpenMW install directory, not the user settings.cfg.
I'd strongly recommend reinstalling OpenMW, then. You're not supposed to edit the default settings as they're the default settings, and it could potentially lead to weirdness in the future. We've taken measures to make it harder to do this accidentally in the upcoming 0.47 release.
keerp

Post by keerp »

akortunov wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 13:58 There is a "GUI scaling factor" setting in the OpenMW's launcher (Advanced - > Interface tab).
I am having this same issue, I even reinstalled the 0.46.0 release, there is no GUI scaling setting in the launcher.
Attachments
Screenshot_1.png
Last edited by keerp on 21 Sep 2021, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

The launcher option was introduced after the 0.46.0 release which is why it is not present in your setup.

You still need to manually edit your local settings.cfg file in your configuration path.

Look for the "[GUI]" section in your settings file or add it at the bottom if it is not present. Then, add the scaling-factor setting:

Code: Select all

[GUI]
scaling factor = <your scaling factor>
keerp

Post by keerp »

Thanks, that worked.