OpenMW Template art

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Lamoot

Re: OpenMW Template art

Post by Lamoot »

Thank you for the icons :)

We just committed the first version to the example suite repository, so they are now available to use. For now we went with the green icons, but it's all adjustable in the future if we need / want.

https://gitlab.com/Lamoot/example-suite ... /icons.svg
https://gitlab.com/Lamoot/example-suite ... data/icons

With this, the number of assets still needed to match the old Template is down by a lot! What's left to do is:
  • Main menu background
  • Prettier UI
  • Mouse cursors
  • Models for the sky and player
After this we can start wrapping things up and have a very first release of the updated OpenMW Template.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Finally made the sky meshes. They are mostly quite simple, blocky cylinders or half-spheres. The main issue I had was figuring how the engine makes the meshes transparent. Transparency is needed at mesh borders for smooth blending with the background sky and fog colours. It turns out, meshes need a very specific vertex and face order. Vertex/face index values are used to assign transparency! [insert Todd meme emoticon]

For the mesh used to display the stars, the edges fade by using vertex colours which is a lot saner way to handle transitions. Source files as well as exported models in .nif format are on git, but I have a feeling this peculiar way to set up sky meshes should be documented.
mediapastor

Post by mediapastor »

I wanted to make sure I understood everything correctly.

OpenMWDude.dae

Has the bones all setup correctly and animations embeded? But the code to load it into the engine is still being worked on?
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

mediapastor wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 00:32 I wanted to make sure I understood everything correctly.

OpenMWDude.dae

Has the bones all setup correctly and animations embeded? But the code to load it into the engine is still being worked on?
The code to support collada format with animations is in master and will be in 0.47 release. The OpenMWDude.dae is set up to work in OpenMW, though the version in my repo is not the latest. We've done some work with unelsson over Discord and iterated over the bones/animations of the character while also fixing things in OpenMW. I've been focusing on the textures lately, but will soon go back to the character and update the file.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

I abandoned the initial main menu ideas as it would require hacking the UI code, which means recompiling OpenMW and more spaghetti than I'd prefer. I decided to go for a design that works with the existing UI code and also "hides" the black bars at the sides of the main menu. Already in the repository.

lysol

Post by lysol »

Awesome! Very nice work.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Nice! I really like all this new graphical stuff. Keep it up! :)
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

lysol wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 20:07 Awesome! Very nice work.
Atahualpa wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 22:32 Nice! I really like all this new graphical stuff. Keep it up! :)
Thanks! :D
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 02:52 There's something wrong with the sunglare with Mesa and AMD hardware. It turned out that the long-running theory we had isn't right, so I'm going to take a look at it at some point.
Running a 0.47 build, the sun glare now works fine in Morrowind or when running the Template.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I'm glad it works. :)

(Image takes awhile to load, looks glorious )