OpenMW Template art

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Lamoot

Re: OpenMW Template art

Post by Lamoot »

psi29a wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 09:50 I'm glad it works. :)

(Image takes awhile to load, looks glorious )
I'll put the images under a spoiler tag in the future, so they don't load automatically and hog the loading of the thread.

In other news, there's some great news! unelsson helped me set up OpenMWDude.dae so OpenMW can read it properly. This means player movement now works and the template is finally functional. There's of course still things to work on and improve, but it's a big milestone :D
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Lamoot wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 20:16 In other news, there's some great news! unelsson helped me set up OpenMWDude.dae so OpenMW can read it properly. This means player movement now works and the template is finally functional. There's of course still things to work on and improve, but it's a big milestone :D
So I can just download your ES files from GitLab, install it like a normal mod, activate the .omwgame file in the launcher, and run around? :shock:
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Atahualpa wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 12:11 So I can just download your ES files from GitLab, install it like a normal mod, activate the .omwgame file in the launcher, and run around? :shock:
It works on my machine, but I haven't uploaded all the files to the repository yet. It's mainly missing the fonts file and its MyGUI definition. I want to properly include license and attribution information, as all the other files I've been uploading are released as public domain. Then there's also the current placeholder UI graphics.

With the disclaimer out of the way, yes, the end goal is to offer an .omwgame project to run OpenMW without any copyrighted content or non-free formats. And it's getting close!

It's fair to mention the Template and Example Suite projects already available https://downloads.openmw.org/openmw-example-suite/ made by DestinedToDie. It's the first iteration of unburdened content needed to run OpenMW. What I'm doing is another attempt at that, but with various improvements.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Alright some more good news. I managed to find the corresponding settings in MyGUI skin definition files to get rid of stretchy UI textures. The original Morrowind textures worked well, but anything with a higher resolution could appear stretched or blurred. This opens the way to finalize the UI graphics.

I also have a question regarding Pelagiad.ttf and openmw_font.xml, files needed so the template actually displays text. The fonts are available under the SIL Open Font Licence. The .xml I got from the existing template found here https://downloads.openmw.org/openmw-example-suite/ and was wondering what license this file uses? At least in the main OpenMW repository, the MyGUI files are GPL 3 from what I can tell.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Lamoot wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 22:15 I also have a question regarding Pelagiad.ttf and openmw_font.xml, files needed so the template actually displays text. The fonts are available under the SIL Open Font Licence. The .xml I got from the existing template found here https://downloads.openmw.org/openmw-example-suite/ and was wondering what license this file uses? At least in the main OpenMW repository, the MyGUI files are GPL 3 from what I can tell.
I included the Pelagiad.ttf font with its licence and MyGUI configuration file in the template repository. I'm following the logic that openmw_font.xml from https://github.com/Isaskar/Pelagiad is a modification of the openmw_font.xml found in OpenMW repository, meaning it's GPL 3.0.

Also included are the mouse cursor textures, this means the template is now fully operational. The UI is still made of placeholder images, but the functionality is all there. Many yays!

My next step is to improve and polish the existing content, and then most likely continue working on player animations to eventually have a whole set.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

First to polish are the moons, they now have all the graphics required to display their phases. Each moon is composed of two images. First, there is a circular mask texture that occludes the stars. On top of that is the actual moon texture using additive blending so any black pixels appear transparent. This allowed me to discard the alpha channel and get a lot smaller file sizes for all the moon textures.
Spoiler: Show
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Lamoot wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 20:56 First to polish are the moons, they now have all the graphics required to display their phases. Each moon is composed of two images. First, there is a circular mask texture that occludes the stars. On top of that is the actual moon texture using additive blending so any black pixels appear transparent. This allowed me to discard the alpha channel and get a lot smaller file sizes for all the moon textures.
Again, it's a shame that you cannot upvote posts or react with a thumbs-up emoji -- so here we go, Lamoot:

Code: Select all

________$$$$
_______$$__$
_______$___$$
_______$___$$
_______$$___$$
________$____$$
________$$____$$$
_________$$_____$$
_________$$______$$
__________$_______$$
____$$$$$$$________$$
__$$$_______________$$$$$$
_$$____$$$$____________$$$
_$___$$$__$$$____________$$
_$$________$$$____________$
__$$____$$$$$$____________$
__$$$$$$$____$$___________$
__$$_______$$$$___________$
___$$$$$$$$$__$$_________$$
____$________$$$$_____$$$$
____$$____$$$$$$____$$$$$$
_____$$$$$$____$$__$$
_______$_____$$$_$$$
________$$$$$$$$$$
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That's half the point of emoji - you can put thumbs up anywhere you can put arbitrary text. 👍
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Yes, but not directly into another person's post -- unless I wanted to make use of my moderator rights. The consequence is a cluttered thread (basically what we are doing right now.^^)

EDIT BY ANYOLDNAME3: 🆗
POST EDIT BY PSI29A: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Atahualpa wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 12:18 Again, it's a shame that you cannot upvote posts or react with a thumbs-up emoji -- so here we go, Lamoot:
Thanks! And no worries, encouraging replies are always much nicer than simple +1s :)

But let's not make a precedent of editing posts. One might as well start abusing it :D

POST EDIT BY PSI29A: Heya Lamoot, I'll soon return that 1 bitcoin I borrowed back in 2011.

POST POST EDIT BY PSI29A: ^-- I see what you did there, don't forget... I see the edit logs. :lol: Even if I borrow that 1 bitcoin, I'll return it back in cash valuation at the time I borrowed it. :P