OpenMW Template art

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Lamoot

Re: OpenMW Template art

Post by Lamoot »

DestinedToDie wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 17:45 Such a clean look, the journal looks great.
Thanks!

In the past month I continued working on various textures. Among them I managed to identify all the needed UI pieces. A lot of the UI elements are borders around windows, around input fields, around scroll bars, around progress bars etc. OpenMW smartly reuses a smaller set of graphics throughout the interface so there no duplication of similar-but-not-quite-the-same textures as in the original game. Many thanks to whomever did the UI for OpenMW and decided to simplify things.

There is now an Inkscape file with the required UI elements ready for export. Apart from their simplistic testing colours, they should be perfectly usable. What's left to do is making the elements pretty.

I also got some help making the attribute and skill icons. I've been mentoring a friend for the past year and as a return favor, she agreed to make the icons. They are close to done, but I'll let her post them (sometime this week) and not steal the glory.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

I'm nearing completion of the sky textures for clouds, stars, sun etc. I was wondering whether anyone knows when and how tx_sun_flash_grey_05 texture is used? It looks to be some sort of sun overlay, but I never see it used in-game, even when being a vampire.

Here's how the new textures for a clear sky with a sun look like when added to the original game.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Are you not getting the sunglare? What hardware and OS are you using?
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 01:18 Are you not getting the sunglare? What hardware and OS are you using?
Hardware:
Radeon RX 570
Ryzen 3600

Kubuntu 20.04
(Kernel 5.4.0-66)
glxinfo | grep "version" output:

Code: Select all

server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
    Max core profile version: 4.6
    Max compat profile version: 4.6
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.0.8
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.0.8
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 20.0.8
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
    GL_EXT_shader_implicit_conversions, GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix, 
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There's something wrong with the sunglare with Mesa and AMD hardware. It turned out that the long-running theory we had isn't right, so I'm going to take a look at it at some point.
mclawliet

Post by mclawliet »

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here. A friend of mine, Lamoot, asked me whether if I would be interested in creating icons for OpenMW skills and attributes. And I definitely was.

I've created icons for 32 x 32 format first (as this is 1:1 format of icons for Morrowind), but I also included 64 and 128 pixel dimensions. I've color coded them blue for magic, red for combat, yellow for stealth and green for attributes. Lamoot wasn't too crazy about the green version, so he also asked for beige version.

Green attributes version:
Icon_Preview_Green.png
Beige attributes version:
Icon_Preview_Beige.png
I would like to hear feedback from you and which color version of attributes do you prefer the best. Also let me know if you have problems reading which skill they represent.

If you tried to guess which skill is which, they are (from left to right):
Spoiler: Show
lysol

Post by lysol »

mclawliet wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 19:25 Hello everyone!

etc
This looks amazing. They are both well made art-wise and easy to understand. I like the green attribute version personally, but it's really not that much of a big deal. Thank you for wanting to help out!
mclawliet

Post by mclawliet »

Yeah, green is my preferred version too.
I'm happy to hear you like them!
Now Lamoot and I have a plan to work on UI, and then, later on, maybe on icons for spell effects (if there will be need for them)?
So, so many spell effects! I always took them for granted. :o
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I like the green as well. That way, we also have all three of RGB colors represented. I do not think it fits very well with all of the stats. For example, the green four leaf clover is the perfect color choice. But a green fist makes less sense. I think coloring the fist red would be a better fit, but then that changes the logic of what category gets which color. Here's how I'd try to categorize things:

Blue (magic): schools of magick, intelligence, willpower
Red (physical): Weapon skills, Armorer, strength
Yellow (defense): Unarmored, Light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, blocking, agility, endurance
Green (utility): Alchemy, sneaking, security, athletics, acrobatics, mercantile, speed, personality, luck

But sticking with the previous system, making all of the stats beige seems like a good choice because it's more of a neutral color and can fit together with a variety of different icons, like with the fist icon. Even though I like green more as a general, I would go for the beige. The icons themselves look really good btw.
mclawliet

Post by mclawliet »

DestinedToDie wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 23:29 I like the green as well. That way, we also have all three of RGB colors represented. I do not think it fits very well with all of the stats. For example, the green four leaf clover is the perfect color choice. But a green fist makes less sense. I think coloring the fist red would be a better fit, but then that changes the logic of what category gets which color.
But sticking with the previous system, making all of the stats beige seems like a good choice because it's more of a neutral color and can fit together with a variety of different icons, like with the fist icon. Even though I like green more as a general, I would go for the beige. The icons themselves look really good btw.
With icons, there will also be SVG file available (for Inkscape program), so anyone can edit the colors of the icons as they wish. So you can edit them in a way you imagined (I'll release these icons as CC0 (Public Domain)). I just went with the system that Morrowind had by default. I do like your categorization of skills, as it is a possible alternative! As for colors and skill categories, you're completely free to edit (or tell me and I can make the changes) the icons they way it suits OpenMW the best.