sources of 3D assets

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

freem

sources of 3D assets

Post by freem »

Hello.

I am not sure this can help, but I thought that maybe a thread listing various sources of 3D assets that could be used in a DFSG compliant project could be useful, thus this thread.
I do not know enough about 3D formats and conversion tools toward NIF, but I suppose as long as there is the source code, it can be "not that hard(tm)" to do?

Please feel free to maintain this list since I don't think I'll stay around a lot :)
freem

Re: sources of 3D assets

Post by freem »

Flare resources were built to be reusable by other FOSS projects IIRC. It's a hack'n slash in medieval fantasy settings.

OpenDungeons was meant to be a FOSS dungeon keeper. RTS in med-fan settings.

Unvanquished is a tactical FPS in SF settings. I think the aliens and some static resources could be reused in a fantasy setting.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

Haven't yet went through all of these, but this is a thread we really need! Keep it coming!

I'll be creating and posting some stuff later, but don't let that stop anyone from contributing. My current goal is to make something of a CC0 animated human model for just any generic project. Then a bank of assets stuff (I'm thinking of basic nature objects like trees, rocks, cliffs, flowers, mushrooms etc.) that's related to my own game Bliaron 2nd Ed (the asset bank would probably be then CC-BY or similar). I'm making the CC0 stuff myself, but I might get some professional help for that asset bank.
freem

Post by freem »

Well, if they consider it really useful, some admin will pin it :) I'd love to add more items to it, but in the years I follow FOSS games (and sometimes actually hunt them for feeding my dead times :lol: ) I have not found much which have assets that could be of practical use to openmw. Most of them are Sci-Fi and/or game/universe-centered (which is not bad per se) so not really fit for what I suppose to be the target of OMW-ES (openmw example suite is a bit long to write, I'll use this acronym now, if it's not a problem?).

But maybe stuff from multiple times can be used ( Ayerdhal did write an awesome book mixing Sci-Fi and Med-Fan... but can't ask him authorizations for lore, he killed himself few years ago. There are others books doing so, too.), it would be awesome, but also hard, I think (somehow, starcraft does that, morrowind too, but it's limited to steampunk for dwarves, etc etc)
Ferk

Post by Ferk »

These days I've been following the discord from LibreQuake: https://discord.com/invite/7M9b6xa

It's a new project to make a free and open source asset replacement for Quake (sort of what Freedoom is for Doom). All the assets would be openly licensed and follow sort of a lovecraftian mythos theme. I feel like this could be suitable for OpenMW, this kind of low poly style is probably easier to work with.

It would be interesting to follow a theme sort of like LibreQuake imho, LibreQuake gameplay might be focused on guns but it's no stranger to axes, swords, zombi-likes and strange fantastic creatures... and lovecraft lore is pretty much public domain.

Some examples of stuff taken from their discord art channel under the spoiler tag below:
Spoiler: Show
Ferk

Post by Ferk »

freem wrote: 22 May 2020, 22:32Most of them are Sci-Fi and/or game/universe-centered (which is not bad per se) so not really fit for what I suppose to be the target of OMW-ES
To be honest, I wonder if maybe it would be a good idea for OMW-ES to explicitly go out of its way to differentiate itself from TES universe by choosing a different theme (like lovecraftian modern era or steampunky or even sorta scifi). Because then it would be further away from the IP from Bethesda and allow more freedom without having to be constantly worried about stepping into legally murky waters.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Scifi might be difficult until we've dehardcoded enough to get working firearms. Steampunk tends to have firearms, too, except for the kind that's pretty much the same as Dwemer stuff. Modern era has even more reliance on firearms.
Ferk

Post by Ferk »

Isn't a firearm a particular case of bow + arrows? It doesn't need to have realistic speed, recoil or ballistics (although if the engine ends up supporting something more complex at some point in the future, the OMW-ES would be a good place to showcase it).
Personally I prefer it when there's no hitscanning, just a particularly small and faster arrow. I believe there are already dwemer gun mods using dwemer coins as ammo.

Anyway, I did not expect firearms as an extremely common thing, that's why I mentioned how in quake-like elder world universe there's also use of axes and swords. It could be the story of some average person, investigator or explorer finding a portal to an elder world (not necessarily a soldier, hunter or anyone who would be carrying a gun in modern era).
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

A big thing with guns versus bows and arrows is that one fires when you click the mouse button, and the other when you release it.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

unelsson wrote: 17 May 2020, 09:36 I'll be creating and posting some stuff later, but don't let that stop anyone from contributing. My current goal is to make something of a CC0 animated human model for just any generic project. Then a bank of assets stuff (I'm thinking of basic nature objects like trees, rocks, cliffs, flowers, mushrooms etc.) that's related to my own game Bliaron 2nd Ed (the asset bank would probably be then CC-BY or similar). I'm making the CC0 stuff myself, but I might get some professional help for that asset bank.
Are you aiming solely for the end result of having an animated character or is it also a part of your learning how to model/rig/animate 3d models? If it's only about the end result I could help you with the task. I do rigging and animation as my regular work and wouldn't mind providing a generic CC0 character. It's indeed very much needed to push the OpenMW ecosystem further, to have base assets without any of the original Morrowind files.