sources of 3D assets

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

unelsson

Re: sources of 3D assets

Post by unelsson »

Lamoot wrote: 27 May 2020, 09:38
unelsson wrote: 17 May 2020, 09:36 I'll be creating and posting some stuff later, but don't let that stop anyone from contributing. My current goal is to make something of a CC0 animated human model for just any generic project. Then a bank of assets stuff (I'm thinking of basic nature objects like trees, rocks, cliffs, flowers, mushrooms etc.) that's related to my own game Bliaron 2nd Ed (the asset bank would probably be then CC-BY or similar). I'm making the CC0 stuff myself, but I might get some professional help for that asset bank.
Are you aiming solely for the end result of having an animated character or is it also a part of your learning how to model/rig/animate 3d models? If it's only about the end result I could help you with the task. I do rigging and animation as my regular work and wouldn't mind providing a generic CC0 character. It's indeed very much needed to push the OpenMW ecosystem further, to have base assets without any of the original Morrowind files.
I wish to learn too, but I will burst of happiness, if someone with real skills makes an animated CC0 human model for OpenMW. Just a base model would do a lot, it could be then developed further into whatever needed!
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

A few years ago we kept discussing MakeHuman a lot. It would give us a body mesh with rigging, morphs (so we could have an every-game-after-Morrowind-esque character creator eventually), textures, and a reasonable bank of other user-created stuff like clothing. All we'd need to do ourselves would be animate it, which is a comparatively small amount of work compared with doing all the other things, too.

I don't remember any particular reason being brought up for not using that idea, but we suddenly stopped talking about it.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

https://github.com/MyHumanoid/MyHumanoid

MyHumanoid is a modernized fork of MakeHuman 0.9.1
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

MakeHuman seems more active.
Eli2

Post by Eli2 »

The initial goal of MyHumanoid was to get the old c++ (GPL3 code, MIT mesh) version back on track.
Next step would be to convert all data to gltf.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

unelsson wrote: 29 May 2020, 17:42 I wish to learn too, but I will burst of happiness, if someone with real skills makes an animated CC0 human model for OpenMW. Just a base model would do a lot, it could be then developed further into whatever needed!
Alright, I'll take the task as my next OpenMW contribution then. No idea on when, but in a reasonable time.
Ferk

Post by Ferk »

I think the most troublesome part is the animation and proper mapping of bones in the way the engine expects.
There was actually already a human model done with makehuman but there were problems with the armature, last time I checked the camera wasn't even properly placed because it couldn't find the head of the model as discussed in: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4615&p=54572#p49603
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Ferk wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 20:44 I think the most troublesome part is the animation and proper mapping of bones in the way the engine expects.
There was actually already a human model done with makehuman but there were problems with the armature, last time I checked the camera wasn't even properly placed because it couldn't find the head of the model as discussed in: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4615&p=54572#p49603
Actually there is no problem. I just parented my bones wrong and at the time OpenMW accepted my erroneous ways. Then an update came that changed how OpenMW expected bones to be parented. If you'd parent them differently and with the same model, you'd get it working fine.
freem

Post by freem »

Just found this game. Licensed under GPLv2, it is (or was meant to be, more probably) a medieval FPS.
From the official text:
OpenFrag is an Open Source, multi-platform game. It plays in a medieval environment where Orcs and Humans fight to the death in a multiplayer session
I thought maybe some resources can be salvaged despite the age (seems to be beta status, so I also think I'll give it a shot :)).
freem

Post by freem »

Not sure if those links I send help, but, someone on IRC shared a link that you might find interesting: 6 fantasy characters, with 45 animations each, CC-0.