Using Wesnoth as a basis for Example Suite

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

lysol

Using Wesnoth as a basis for Example Suite

Post by lysol »

Haven't played Wesnoth that much, but I just remembered that Wesnoth is a CC-collaboration for an entire fantasy setting. Could perhaps be cool to have an RPG in the same setting too? There are also probably quite a lot of fans and content creators already that would be interested.

Just throwing the idea out there...
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Using Wesnoth as a basis for Example Suite

Post by psi29a »

Very cool:
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Wesnoth:Copyrights

CC BY-SA 4.0 is very solid. :)
freem

Post by freem »

For info, I knew at least one rpg game built on top of wesnoth's content and lore: Heroes of Wesnoth. Well, it was far from being complete, 0.1.x are usually alpha/pre-alpha, and this shows up there. I don't think it's still developed either. And it's really based on wesnoth's assets, probably not a lot to "salvage" from there :)

There are also several RPG content built for wesnoth, the most rpg-like being those built by a modder named "bob the migthy", but they are made to be multi-player, up to 5 players. Dunno if those things would be usable for an example suite though: it's pixel-art stuff based on an already rich base (wesnoth does have a quite impressive collection of game assets in core, even if you remove the assets that are no longer in current stable), One would need to create the 3D models for it, which would probably takes *a lot* of time.

On the other hand, I must admit I don't know any 3D content with licences compatible to DFSG (seen in previous thread it's a must), so it will probably have to be done, but I think it might be a good idea for an "example suite" to have stuff reusable, and thus imported from other projects.

Well, I guess if the direction is to go medieval fantasy and the likes, Flare's content or some of OpenDungeons assets could be used, either as placeholders or not.

Can't think of any other 3D game's content that would fit (either for theme or for licencing)... At least, with flare's or OD's contents, the styles might be relatively consistent, since they were mostly built from their specific game (well, for flare, I think one of the goals was to produce assets other could reproduce, too. For OD, I don't know, never really went into it).

Damn. Long time I used the phpbb stuff, reminds old times.
Jodiwe

Post by Jodiwe »

Another game that I've been thinking of for a while is Andor's Trail.

It's seeing quite a few updates these days, and I figured one could write an asset converter to automatically convert the map tiles and dialogue, etc into a world map, but you'd have to somehow extract a height map, where I don't think there's any such concept in the original map tiles of that game. Also, there's a lot of asset modelling to do there.

However, looking at their github page, there's probably an issue:
Andor's Trail gameplay content is copyright by their respective authors and has only been licensed for use in Andor's Trail.
freem

Post by freem »

You made me curious, so I checked... would be the 2nd roguelike I would knew about to *not* use tile-based graphics (when there are some...), the 1st one being egoboo (which have quite "specific" graphics, so, well, I doubt they would be of any use (can't find any repo, but I remember having seen that game in debian, so I guess licences are all fine).

Anyway, there is nothing there (in andor's trail) indicating 3D stuff have been used. Repo only contains png, and videos shows just tiles translated on a 2D square grid (like most roguelikes). I also quickly checked the repo, just to be certain: only png there.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

Wesnoth as a world is cool! But it kind of runs into the same problem than the rest suggestions, how do we get good 3d models for it?

I feel like having a set of 3d models is the greatest challenge, not to mention the animations for the creatures and the characters. I guess that nature assets and most of the medieval structures and equipment could be quite versatile. And I think it's a good goal to make the assets so that they can be used in many different games. I'm thinking about kind of a library of OpenMW assets. There are a lot of worlds, but the bridge from there to 3d asset library is a big one.

On the other hand, if there's a clear goal that gets people hyped and creating content, that's likely a way. There are plenty of people who are able to make content, but I think that in an open project like this it kind of flies wherever people take it. Like, what gets the artists and modelers excited.

In my mind, the most useful assets are static nature assets (trees, rocks, flowers, mushrooms you name it), then animated humans and their equipment, and then all sorts of fauna (fantasy creatures or real world animals). All of these can be easily ported into various projects.

While we are storming: An example suite makes me think of a demonstration of what the engine can do... Maybe make an example game that's actually a blend of genres, an aim to showcase everything that OpenMW can turn into.. Make something like a relatively small land mass, but with a wide variety of environments - one from Bronze Age, other from Medieval Times, then maybe 1600's pirate adventure, and finally going into a space ship and playing some.. um. freely licensed science fiction stuff. I think the engine is mostly suited to fantasy stuff though, and it's probably not the best for playing with sailing ships though. But.. Ahem. Just storming here. :D
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

unelsson wrote: 09 May 2020, 23:39 While we are storming: An example suite makes me think of a demonstration of what the engine can do... Maybe make an example game that's actually a blend of genres, an aim to showcase everything that OpenMW can turn into.. Make something like a relatively small land mass, but with a wide variety of environments - one from Bronze Age, other from Medieval Times, then maybe 1600's pirate adventure, and finally going into a space ship and playing some.. um. freely licensed science fiction stuff. I think the engine is mostly suited to fantasy stuff though, and it's probably not the best for playing with sailing ships though. But.. Ahem. Just storming here. :D
we have a (stalled) project to do just that -> viewforum.php?f=28

Currently as far as I know we have nobody working on our own 3d assets :(

ST the 3d
freem

Post by freem »

Now that I think about it, the unvanquished aliens could be of use, since they does not really use tech. They are nice, they are animated, they are under good license, etc.

I guess I should create a thread for that.