Using Bliaron 2nd Ed. material for example suite

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

unelsson

Using Bliaron 2nd Ed. material for example suite

Post by unelsson »

I'm a part of a team creating Bliaron 2nd Edition, a fantasy tabletop role-playing game. We are publishing the game on 15th of May. There is a ton of fictive material, including creature art, as well Bronze Age themed fantasy buildings, characters, equipment etc. While the game as it is is copyrighted, we are releasing the text and the art resources as Creative Commons (CC-BY-NC-SA). The intent is to encourage the use of that material in a wide range of hobby applications. It still needs a whole lot of work to create proper assets out of it, but it's still a bank of concept art material free to use.

Therefore, it's obvious this material is also free to use in OpenMW. The only limitations are:
BY = When using these, the source has to be mentioned.
NC = It can only be used in non-commercial applications.
SA = The content has to carry the same license. This is to say, the artistic content (e.g. 3d models) have to carry CC-BY-NC-SA license.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Using Bliaron 2nd Ed. material for example suite

Post by psi29a »

Very cool! This is great for those that can handle the license.

As for OpenMW itself...
unelsson wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 13:38 Therefore, it's obvious this material is also free to use in OpenMW. The only limitations are:
BY = When using these, the source has to be mentioned.
NC = It can only be used in non-commercial applications.
SA = The content has to carry the same license. This is to say, the artistic content (e.g. 3d models) have to carry CC-BY-NC-SA license.
NC content cannot be used in the template or example suite, it would also be rejected by Debian and Ubuntu for inclusion based on the fact that it is counter to the DFSG. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Fr ... Guidelines

I wish there was some way to compromise or further lift license restrictions on content though.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

That is unfortunate, but I see the point. I don't think the license of the book will be opened further than CC-BY-NC-SA, but there might be a way to get some specific content to work with the example suite. And there's a synergy with using material from Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian, as both worlds are set in a similar pseudo-historian time-frame, kind of "before the ancient Greeks", maybe some counterparts could be found from the equipment, and almost certainly there are similarities in the static models (flora, rocks), for example, arid areas, like deserts are common in both worlds. Anyway, I'll keep discussing on the possibilities here, but there's at least a chance of a model pack. Can't make any promises here though.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

I had a discussion with the illustrators of the book (Bliaron 2nd Edition), and they were also willing to think of opening some rights for OpenMW's use. I own the copyrights for the text, and illustrators for the images, so we are quite free to think how this would go. We talked of licensing 3d-assets based on Bliaron 2nd Edition as CC-BY, but keeping the content of the book itself as copyrighted and CC-BY-NC-SA as fitting.

I am thinking of creating Example Suite so that it uses various open projects as a base, and builds a world of scenarios around these. Perhaps Bliaron 2nd Ed could be one of these? I have already created the landmass, and we have some basic assets on the works.

The advantage to this approach is that the we get people excited on specific projects working on them. I for once could invest tons of time for building this project, and the illustrators I've been working with might also decide to work on this. It's however good to note that me and the illustrators might get some money out of this, if someone gets excited and buys the book, but no direct money transactions are involved. Regardless how it goes, I present it as one option among others.

To avoid the feeling that there's a competition here, I honestly see this rather that we have options. I'll link various suggestions here for convenience. This thread should be discussion related to the use of Bliaron 2nd Edition.

List of various asset sources
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6915

Robert E. Howard's (1906-1936) works (note: there are also later copyrighted and trademarked Conan-related works that should not be infringed)
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6767

Wesnoth
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6887

Kingdom of Man (Arthurian?, Deadwood? original DestinedToDie's work?), MikeMXeller's murder mystery idea, Waste's Edge, Lovecraftian mystery, co-op experience
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5524&start=20
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

Bliaron 2nd Ed. has a magic system with various properties for the spell. It's too complex to be modeled with a computer as is, but I believe these could translate into a Bliaron CRPG with variables:
- visibility and loudness of the spell
- targeting capabilities of the spell (some conditions on which targets are affected by the spell in the given area)
- movement speed of the spell (also can be zero), also movement via a path (pathfinding?)
- sudden changes of the spell location (teleporting spells)
- area and size of the spell
- copying a spell (double, triple so further)
- duration of a spell
- magic items have conditions when the spells are active (this requires some scripting capabilities probably)
- effects that alter the statistics of the target character

One thing that has came to my mind is porting this to OpenMW, but it probably requires forking the main branch into a custom branch, but can you think of which of these are missing, but would be useful for the OpenMW's spell engine itself?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

unelsson wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 23:08One thing that has came to my mind is porting this to OpenMW, but it probably requires forking the main branch into a custom branch, but can you think of which of these are missing, but would be useful for the OpenMW's spell engine itself?
A bit unrelated. But I always wanted to have enchantments that are cast on swing. When you swing your weapon, even if it hits nothing but the air, a fireball could come out and fly in the direction of where you swung it. I guess it sounds similar to what we got in Oblivion, except the staffs only cast the fireball and don't do any physical damage themselves. But what if you had a sword that was capable of both cutting the enemy and casting shockballs on swing at the same time?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

unelsson wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 23:08 - magic items have conditions when the spells are active (this requires some scripting capabilities probably)
I thought of giving the player abilities, like the knight ability, which fortifies block, long blade and heavy armor by 5. And give knight armor a script, when if worn, checks if the player has the knight ability and then applies further bonuses, like feather and willpower. Is that what you're thinking?

The abilities are sort of like permanent spells with infinite duration. So you can count on the player having it when they equip the knight armor. However a spell with duration is fleeting. Let's say the player equips Lich Robes, which provide through script a magicka multiplier when the player has Lich Form spell already cast. But if you cast Lich Form spell after you've equipped the Lich Robes, then Lich Robes do nothing because the script only gets triggered at the moment you equip Lich Robes (OnPCEquip). It would seem the limit is the Morrowind scripting language, which we may not have in the future with TES3MP's LUA scripting merging into the main fork.

Another thing, which someone might see as an issue regarding this, is how this is communicated. You have knight armor, which doesn't show you what bonuses you'd get if you had the knight perk. So the only way to see the bonuses is to get the perk, equip the armor and look at your spell effects. I think Ideally, you'd have all the information available just by looking at the armor. Maybe when we get item descriptions this information may be included in them.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

DestinedToDie wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 08:47
unelsson wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 23:08 - magic items have conditions when the spells are active (this requires some scripting capabilities probably)
I thought of giving the player abilities, like the knight ability, which fortifies block, long blade and heavy armor by 5. And give knight armor a script, when if worn, checks if the player has the knight ability and then applies further bonuses, like feather and willpower. Is that what you're thinking?
Your example is cool, and I wonder if that might be possible through scripting already? Don't know...

But what I meant is kind of the condition when the spell become active, something of a sleeping spell. These spells can be set into places, and they may act as wards - being active when a certain type of creature comes into vicinity, or something alike.

You also mentioned item descriptions, which is a must for complicated magic logic.
PerryHugh

Post by PerryHugh »

I think the fantasy world set in Bliaron is perfect for the example suite. Considering we even have an author here willing to dedicate some time to it, even better.

I will probably not personally work on the suite, so ingest a grain of salt after reading... unless, wouldn't that make you a little salty? These sayings make no sense.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Well, to be honest... I think much of the groundwork could be done in the Template and the Example-Suite, but those can be used as the basis for a real "Game" that is exclusive to OpenMW based in the Bliaron game setting.

My idea was (still is?):
Template: cc0 content that is juts enough for OpenMW to run, basic generic content, small 1 cell island with a fully articulated humanoid with 1st and 3rd person. This also includes skybox with generic daytime and nighttime textures. Basic default dirt texture and sand texture for island.

(we still have hard-coded moons, but for now we can provide a transparent texture for one and a normal "moon" texture for the other (secondus? the smaller one)

Example Suite: includes the Template, can be CC-BY, basic village/wilderness. 9 to 18 cells, a few interiors, perhaps one cave, cellar/basement, or dungeon/crypt. At 3 different weather types (including clouds). We can add to this as needed to show off OpenMW's features. This is the show-case.

Bliaron Game: sky is the limit, but the first two should be finished first.