Non-coding jobs

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Tarius

Re: Non-coding jobs

Post by Tarius »

riekelt wrote:I would like to become a community manager, is that possible?
So have you ever gone into a store or a volunteer place out of no where and asked to simply be a manager there?
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Come on guys. I think he's got the right intentions. Just help out in the forums, facebook page, youtube account and help answer people's questions. You'll learn a lot about the project that way and our community. Over time you can take on more responsibilities.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

ElderTroll, aren't you the current community manager? If you want extra help, you could ask him to help around the web with checking that everything is updated.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

@greendogo
I don't think anyone has the official title of community manager. I do PR with Sir and ap0 (Wordpress), Raevol (facebook), zedd (external websites), weirdsexy (youtube), Igro (here and facebook I think). If I left anyone out I apologize. I will start a thread to clarify what everyone is responsible for.

The job of community manager is decentralized amongst all the above listed people (as well as the rest of our community). I think our community is good at working together to address new needs. However, once we get a playable engine the community will likely grow rapidly. At that point it may be nice to have a community manager as we might starting attracting forum trolls (yeah, I understand the irony) and the uglier characters amongst video game culture. If we find someone who has a lot of free time and the qualities we are looking for, then let's make them the community manager. Let's try to avoid someone with a control/authority complex. :D What do you think?
riekelt

Post by riekelt »

Tarius wrote:
So have you ever gone into a store or a volunteer place out of no where and asked to simply be a manager there?
No, i do not.
ElderTroll wrote:Come on guys. I think he's got the right intentions. Just help out in the forums, facebook page, youtube account and help answer people's questions. You'll learn a lot about the project that way and our community. Over time you can take on more responsibilities.
Well, this is the comment is actually the only helpfull one i recieve on this question...
lgromanowski wrote:
First of all it would be good to introduce yourself in your first post. Second - no, this position is already filled.
First of all, there was not a single notice on the front topic. So did not know that at the time i wrote that comment.

I am not trolling, and i will never be here to troll.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Alright, no need for anyone to get upset here. Remember that not everything we write online comes off the same way it would IRL. RiekeIt, we appreciate your enthusiasm. However, if you did not, remember that it's always a good idea to lurk forums for a bit before asking things like this.

My understanding of the definition of "community manager" on the first post of this topic, is anyone who helps answer questions that people ask on the various websites where we have a presence. For example, I would consider myself the community manager for our YouTube page. I also maintain the Steam group and submit release posts on Overclock.net and answer questions in those threads. However, Igromanowski makes it sound like there is only one spot for this position, which is filled. I would assume that he means ElderTroll, in this case. He could also mean that we have community managers for all of the websites where we currently maintain a presence. Perhaps our job definitions need to be made more explicit.

RiekeIt, if you know of a place on the web that we do not currently have a presence, but would benefit from having one established, feel free to do so. Just remember that answering people's questions effectively requires that you have a good understanding and current knowledge of the project. That means hanging out on this forum and reading current postings.

This page on our wiki describes our current web presence, although I'm not sure how up-to-date it is.
https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Web_Presence

Any other veteran members feel free to chime in, I'm not exactly an authority on all of this.
Last edited by WeirdSexy on 30 Nov 2012, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

WeirdSexy wrote:However, Igromanowski makes it sound like there is only one spot for this position, which is filled. I would assume that he means ElderTroll, in this case. He could also mean that we have community managers for all of the websites where we currently maintain a presence.
Actually I had both on my mind, I should be bit more precise.

@riekelt: Sorry for being a bit harsh, but almost all people wrote some introduction post about self (few words are enough) before they asked for some job in project.
riekelt

Post by riekelt »

lgromanowski wrote:
WeirdSexy wrote:However, Igromanowski makes it sound like there is only one spot for this position, which is filled. I would assume that he means ElderTroll, in this case. He could also mean that we have community managers for all of the websites where we currently maintain a presence.
Actually I had both on my mind, I should be bit more precise.

@riekelt: Sorry for being a bit harsh, but almost all people wrote some introduction post about self (few words are enough) before they asked for some job in project.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1207
Last edited by riekelt on 30 Nov 2012, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Enough.
riekelt

Post by riekelt »

Sorry for being a little bit an asshole up there...
I wrote an introduction.
Can we forget about all this above here?