Application JSchmidt

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
JSchmidt
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/innovativestudios

Application JSchmidt

Post by JSchmidt »

Hello, my name is Jacob, and I have been practicing web development as a hobby for a few years. I've built a website framework from the ground up and have been learning VueJS, Vite, and NuxtJS for the last 4 months. Prior to beginning my hobby in web development, I served in the Army National Guard and attended college for Sustainable Architecture Design. While attending college I learned AutoCAD, SketchUp, Revit, and took it upon myself to familiarize myself with Blender. I believe that with my knowledge in web development, specifically what I've learned within the last 4 months with VueJS, Vite, and NuxtJS I could help the team out with creating a new website.

I have been a dye hard TES III fan for as long as I could remember, and seeing what the team has accomplished has brought many childhood memories when I played Morrowing for hours on the original Xbox.
JSchmidt

Re: Application JSchmidt

Post by JSchmidt »

I've been putting together a sample website using GitLab Pages and NuxtJS to give the community a sneak peak at what I stated in my first post. https://innovativestudios.gitlab.io/openMW/
lysol

Post by lysol »

So we've waited for quite some time now for someone to start making a new website for us. Finally I decided to start making a Hugo site myself like a week ago, since I have some good old HTML and CSS experience and felt like learning something new. It seemed like a fun project and a nice way to be able to finally contribute to this project after all the years I've been here.

Now I don't have to anymore.

Looks like a great start and you've come so much further than I have, haha. Great job. Let me know if you need help with things like graphics and might be able to assist. You hardly need my HTML or CSS skills.
JSchmidt

Post by JSchmidt »

Sounds like a plan, it would be great to have you and anyone else who has experience in website design giving suggestions and helping out with creating an overall theme. There are some other functions that I would like to add to the website as well, that require a bit more programming in order to implement.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

:shock:
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

While on one hand I think that the current website is plenty enough for our needs (mobile theme apart), if you decide to go for the React + GraphQL or Angular + GraphQL path I would lend a hand as well.
lysol

Post by lysol »

It's been long discussed and generally agreed that we want to move away from Wordpress and move to a static site instead, We even have an issue for that on gitlab. So JSchmidt is not doing this just randomly.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

I'm not sure if with "static website" you mean just backend-less or if your definition goes further into the "static html page, no js framework" territory.
If you want to use a SPA JS framework IMO you still want a backend at least for Server Side Rendering, otherwise you will score bad in search engines. Can you please link me the original discussion so we can continue there instead of hijacking this thread?
Last edited by darkbasic on 13 Jan 2022, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It doesn't need to be a webapp, so there's no point in it being React-based. The buttons are all links that take you to other pages, not things that send other elements flying around the screen. We basically just want a bunch of static pages and to be able to publish a new blog entry by putting a Markdown file in a directory and pressing Rebuild (or, as it'll likey be built with GitLab Pages, check the Markdown file into the Git repo and have that trigger a CI action that pushes the button for us).
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

Vue.js is a Javascript framework as well... If I understand correctly you're not looking for a static Single Page Application but for a way to generate a bunch of html pages from some markdown files.