Application with a new feature: ptmikheev

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Atahualpa

Re: Application with a new feature: ptmikheev

Post by Atahualpa »

ptmikheev wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 00:30 An update. View and movement became even more similar to Skyrim.
[...]
Looks like vanilla animations were optimised for your approach after all. Next-level anticipation by Bethesda to create their animations with OpenMW in mind...

Great job, ptmikheev! :)
ptmikheev
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/ptmikheev

Post by ptmikheev »

psi29a wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 09:34 Throw up a MR when you're ready. 8-)
Done!
https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/merge_requests/219
Atahualpa wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 09:51 Looks like vanilla animations were optimised for your approach after all. Next-level anticipation by Bethesda to create their animations with OpenMW in mind...
To be honest I've replaced vanilla animations with this pack. Without this mod it looks a bit less smooth, but also reasonable.
Atahualpa wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 09:51 Great job, ptmikheev! :)
Thanks!
Laicus

Post by Laicus »

ptmikheev wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 21:54 I've implemented a new feature: more realistic diagonal movement.
Thank you very much for the fix! Are you going to implement the ability to adjust the horizontal offset? So that you can specify the offset value in settings.cfg.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

I would love to have a config option to twirl the camera around the player character's head if standing still, as in Skyrim. But I understand if that's better suited to a separate MR, and it's already shaping up really nicely.
klorax

Post by klorax »

Just wanted to say that this looks awesome, thanks ptmikheev!

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

In my opinion, it would be a little more convenient if the camera remained horizontally offset when aiming.
ptmikheev

Post by ptmikheev »

Thanks! I am very glad to see that my work is appreciated.
Laicus wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 13:18 Are you going to implement the ability to adjust the horizontal offset? So that you can specify the offset value in settings.cfg.
OK, I will do it. Then the option "third person view mode" will be replaced with the following two:

Code: Select all

[Camera]
view over shoulder = true
view over shoulder horizontal offset = 28   # positive value - right shoulder, negative - left shoulder
CMAugust wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 13:37 I would love to have a config option to twirl the camera around the player character's head if standing still, as in Skyrim. But I understand if that's better suited to a separate MR, and it's already shaping up really nicely.
I thought about it, but decided that it is not so important since almost the same can be achieved with pressing TAB. However If many users wants it, I can implement it. The main question: what should happen if player presses activation button while pointing to some object behind the character's back?
Laicus wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 14:37 In my opinion, it would be a little more convenient if the camera remained horizontally offset when aiming.
The problem is that attacks are not adjusted to the camera position. Arrows fly from the character rather than from camera. So arrows would have the same horizontal offset from the crosshair. It can be fixed by turning the character a bit, but it is not easy since the correction depends on the distance to the target. I am not sure it worth it.

If you want to try it, you can find in apps/openmw/mwrender/camera.cpp the lines

Code: Select all

bool combatMode = true;
        if (mTrackingPtr.getClass().isActor())
            combatMode = mTrackingPtr.getClass().getCreatureStats(mTrackingPtr).getDrawState() != MWMechanics::DrawState_Nothing;
comment it and replace with a single line bool combatMode = false;

My future plans regarding third person mode (not in the current merge request)

1) Support the new settings in openmw-launcher.
2) Automatically switch camera between right and left shoulder depending on the situation (if player stays very close to a wall).
3) Store camera distance in save files
4) Tweak swimming a bit. Currently if camera is above the water, then player is pointed a bit down and dives. I want to make more convenient to swim without diving.

You are welcome to suggest any additional ideas :)
Laicus

Post by Laicus »

ptmikheev wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 20:50 view over shoulder horizontal offset = 28 # positive value - right shoulder, negative - left shoulder
It is a pity that without preserving the camera position when aiming it will not play a significant role, but it is still great when you can more flexibly adjust the camera to fit yourself.
ptmikheev wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 20:50 Arrows fly from the character rather than from camera. So arrows would have the same horizontal offset from the crosshair. It can be fixed by turning the character a bit, but it is not easy since the correction depends on the distance to the target.
Oh, I get it, thanks for the explanation.
ptmikheev wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 20:50 4) Tweak swimming a bit. Currently if camera is above the water, then player is pointed a bit down and dives. I want to make more convenient to swim without diving.
Oh, Yes, it always annoyed me, probably even more than the unrealistic diagonal movement. I hope you will be able to implement all your ideas, thank you again!
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

ptmikheev wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 20:50I thought about it, but decided that it is not so important since almost the same can be achieved with pressing TAB. However If many users wants it, I can implement it. The main question: what should happen if player presses activation button while pointing to some object behind the character's back?
Generally nothing as far as the player character is concerned. The object will activate as normal.

For future reference, I've recorded a number of videos so you can observe the behavior of later games. Fallout 4 is typically a more refined version of Skyrim, with some additional animations and smoothing, but some are not applicable in Morrowind (yet) due to lack of animation support. I hope you find them useful, if you continue to work on third person gameplay.

(Skyrim)(Fallout 4)Picking item behind player, then running forward
(Skyrim)(Fallout 4) Facing camera, then readying magic
(Fallout 4)Outside combat movement vs combat movement
(Fallout 4)Camera pulls away slightly when character moves, pulls back in when stationary
(Fallout 4)Headtracking on NPC activation, full body turning on dialogue
(Fallout 4)Turning, running, sprinting and leaping towards camera
(Fallout 4)Abruptly changing direction in third person
ptmikheev

Post by ptmikheev »

CMAugust wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 02:47 For future reference, I've recorded a number of videos so you can observe the behavior of later games. Fallout 4 is typically a more refined version of Skyrim, with some additional animations and smoothing, but some are not applicable in Morrowind (yet) due to lack of animation support. I hope you find them useful, if you continue to work on third person gameplay.

(Skyrim)(Fallout 4)Picking item behind player, then running forward
(Skyrim)(Fallout 4) Facing camera, then readying magic
(Fallout 4)Outside combat movement vs combat movement
(Fallout 4)Camera pulls away slightly when character moves, pulls back in when stationary
(Fallout 4)Headtracking on NPC activation, full body turning on dialogue
(Fallout 4)Turning, running, sprinting and leaping towards camera
(Fallout 4)Abruptly changing direction in third person
Thanks for the videos.

> Picking item behind player
Honestly I don't think Skyrim and Fallout show a good example here.
In my opinion it would be better to turn to the object and then play some picking animation.

I have an idea how to improve observation mode in MW.
Currently player can switch to observation mode by pressing TAB for one second. Then camera jumps to the position from the previous observation.
I want to remove the one second delay and avoid the camera jump. I.e. it will be almost the same as in Skyrim, but player should hold TAB (and can not pick objects) instead of standing still. After releasing TAB the character will turn to the direction of view using appropriate turning animation.

> Abruptly changing direction in third person

Actually I've implemented very similar behaviour in the current merge request. Of course we don't have such variety of animations, so I use normal turning animation instead. You can participate the discussion on gitlab if you fill this specific behaviour useful ;).