Application with a new feature: ptmikheev

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
CMAugust

Re: Application with a new feature: ptmikheev

Post by CMAugust »

I suppose you could look to other games for item picking, like Zelda Breath of the Wild. In that game, picking an item will play a subtle grab-air-and-pocket-it animation (where possible) without impeding player movement in any way.

I think holding down a key or button to view your character from the front is rather cumbersome, and was probably changed from Skyrim onward for that reason alone.

You typically lose a bit of "snappiness" in player control when the character must visibly animate to turn on a dime, as the Fallout 4 vid shows, but there's a good reason why even games boasting excellent player control and responsiveness do it - it can look and even feel bad if the player character doesn't move with any sense of weight. Anyway, without being able to test the MR myself, it looks like you've implemented directional changes quite nicely. :)
FargothUr

Post by FargothUr »

Hi!

These features are fantastic. Well done. I can't imagine going back to Morrowind without the diagonal movement now.

I have a question though. It's not a major issue or something like that but would it be possible to implement an option to have the combat camera mode all the time? I don't mind the over the shoulder view but I'd prefer if the camera didn't change.

Best regards.
TwilightLotus

Post by TwilightLotus »

Just downloaded the latest nightly to test the added third person tweaks, and man does it make a massive difference! You've greatly contributed to making Morrowind's janky animations significantly less so. Well done ptmikheev! I hope that the next major release video will highlight your work ^_^
ptmikheev
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/ptmikheev

Post by ptmikheev »

Thanks!
FargothUr wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 07:55 I have a question though. It's not a major issue or something like that but would it be possible to implement an option to have the combat camera mode all the time? I don't mind the over the shoulder view but I'd prefer if the camera didn't change.
You can set "view over shoulder" to false in settings.cfg. It will return the standard camera behaviour, but diagonal movement will keep working.

There was also an idea to keep the camera over shoulder in combat mode as well, but the problem is that attacks are not adjusted to the camera position. Arrows fly from the character rather than from camera. So arrows would have the same horizontal offset from the crosshair. It can be fixed by turning the character a bit, but it is not easy since the correction depends on the distance to the target. So I decided that it isn't worth it.
FargothUr

Post by FargothUr »

Thanks for the reply but that also removes the crosshair thus the usefulness of third person view.
I see there's a setting for horizontal offset (over shoulder horizontal offset).
Would it be possible to also include a vertical offset setting (over shoulder vertical offset)?
What I'm thinking of is keeping the camera above head even when I put the weapon away.
ptmikheev

Post by ptmikheev »

FargothUr wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 07:27 Would it be possible to also include a vertical offset setting (over shoulder vertical offset)?
What I'm thinking of is keeping the camera above head even when I put the weapon away.
OK, I will add it.
FargothUr

Post by FargothUr »

ptmikheev wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 08:48 OK, I will add it.
Thank you. I really appreciate it.
ptmikheev

Post by ptmikheev »

FargothUr wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 07:27 Would it be possible to also include a vertical offset setting (over shoulder vertical offset)?
Done. Will be available in the next nightly build. In your case the setting should be "view over shoulder offset = 0 15".
FargothUr

Post by FargothUr »

ptmikheev wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 09:39 Done. Will be available in the next nightly build. In your case the setting should be "view over shoulder offset = 0 15".
It's great. Thanks again.