Application: Peachy

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Peachy

Application: Peachy

Post by Peachy »

Hi guys. I'm a looong time lurker/OpenMW user. I adore this project and I'm in awe of what has been done so far. Thank you all for future proofing something so dear to my heart.

I work in (graphic) design & marketing, and I'm quite experienced in all things graphical - I'd love to learn coding but that may well be a stretch considering the learning curve.

What I could help with instantly are the graphics side of things, web work and PR work.

What I would like to do is link up with the other visually oriented folk on the boards, find out what additional software I'll be needing, and start creating some models/meshes/animations/maps, to both replace the vanilla assets, and possibly even enhance with new animations (for later era ES games Radiant AI animations style (idles/working/playing etc) - although this could already be well in hand (or maybe not even a requirement)?

So, first question, where do I look first to find out what I can help with?
akortunov

Re: Application: Peachy

Post by akortunov »

Peachy wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 11:52 So, first question, where do I look first to find out what I can help with?
I am aware of only bugtracker, but it is for coders.
Peachy wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 11:52 What I would like to do is link up with the other visually oriented folk on the boards, find out what additional software I'll be needing, and start creating some models/meshes/animations/maps, to both replace the vanilla assets, and possibly even enhance with new animations (for later era ES games Radiant AI animations style (idles/working/playing etc) - although this could already be well in hand (or maybe not even a requirement)?
OpenMW itself is just an engine and it almost does not provide assets itself. It is a job for modmakers.

For non-coders a useful activity for engine itself is:
1. Testing:
1.1. Test nightlies and send bugreports about encountered issues
1.2. Test pending pull requests (especially which have the "Needs testing" label)
1.3. Test mods compatibility and post results to Wiki page and send bugreports
2. PR
3. Wiki activity (update pages about OpenMW-exclusive features, MCP status, etc).
4. Technical support (yes, in many cases it is just enough to provide user a link to FAQ or bugtracker)
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Peachy wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 11:52 What I would like to do is link up with the other visually oriented folk on the boards, find out what additional software I'll be needing, and start creating some models/meshes/animations/maps, to both replace the vanilla assets, and possibly even enhance with new animations (for later era ES games Radiant AI animations style (idles/working/playing etc) - although this could already be well in hand (or maybe not even a requirement)?

So, first question, where do I look first to find out what I can help with?
The asset replacement is something sorely needed. We have had some discussion of this here -> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3330

but this has kind of stalled lately. The link does give you a heads up on what programs used. The overall subforum for this is here -> viewforum.php?f=28

ST
lysol

Post by lysol »

OpenMW features native normal mapping and specular mapping. Making mod assets with this in mind will indirectly benefit OpenMW, PR-wise. It's what I did back in the day since I'm also unable to contribute via code, but unlike you, I'm hardly experienced. I only made textures too, and Morrowind really needs new meshes with sane UV-maps.

Then of course, there's the Example-Suite. But I guess that requires a bit more planning. DestinedToDie, any thoughts about that?
Peachy

Post by Peachy »

Thanks for the great replies, guys. Gives me a decent idea where to start looking to help.
akortunov wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 13:29 OpenMW itself is just an engine and it almost does not provide assets itself. It is a job for modmakers.
Yeah, I hear you. I thought maybe a companion pack for OpenMW with non Bethesda versions of all the assets (no mean feat) would be useful. I'm possibly being quite naive here though. I'm aware also that it isn't exactly a job for one person either.

The testing I can certainly help with.
silentthief wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 16:36 The asset replacement is something sorely needed. We have had some discussion of this here -> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3330

but this has kind of stalled lately. The link does give you a heads up on what programs used. The overall subforum for this is here -> viewforum.php?f=28

ST
Thanks, ST. This is exactly what I was imagining. I'll go through that thread and see what I can do.

Do you think it would be worthwhile us having a specific place on the forum for how-to guides and the like? The info on that link is invaluable but I'd not have known to look for it there had you not given me the link. Maybe more folks would pitch in and help the more simple we make it for them?

I'd also had a notion about the example suite to try something vastly different to vanilla Morrowind, such as a modern day street or even the interior of a spaceship. Something to really show off what OpenMW could do. Again, quite unrealistic without a fired-up team in place.

It sounds like OpenMW specific mesh and texture mods could be the most useful task for me.
Peachy

Post by Peachy »

lysol wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 09:20 OpenMW features native normal mapping and specular mapping. Making mod assets with this in mind will indirectly benefit OpenMW, PR-wise. It's what I did back in the day since I'm also unable to contribute via code, but unlike you, I'm hardly experienced. I only made textures too, and Morrowind really needs new meshes with sane UV-maps.
"How-to", mod review and feature highlights Youtube vids were one of the many things I've considered when pondering how best I could help the OpenMW team. That's a possibility for the PR side of things?

I have noticed, aside from MrOpenMW's brilliant vids, there is a general lack of OpenMW on that platform.

Incidentally, yours were the first OpenMW specific mods I ever downloaded. This is really weird talking to someone who is all over my Morrowind install lol Are there any "safe" textures that you're not working on that I could start making normal mapping for?

I'm sorry for all the noob questions and such but the sooner I can focus on something the sooner I can do my best to help out.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Peachy wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:37 "How-to", mod review and feature highlights Youtube vids were one of the many things I've considered when pondering how best I could help the OpenMW team. That's a possibility for the PR side of things?

I have noticed, aside from MrOpenMW's brilliant vids, there is a general lack of OpenMW on that platform.
Oh yes, youtube videos would greatly help, PR-wise. Just go for it if you feel like doing that.
Peachy wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:37 Incidentally, yours were the first OpenMW specific mods I ever downloaded. This is really weird talking to someone who is all over my Morrowind install lol Are there any "safe" textures that you're not working on that I could start making normal mapping for?
More or less anything is safe basically. I don't have time for this much at all really. I began working on a Redoran pack once, but I highly doubt I'll ever finish it. Also, don't hesitate to re-do something I already did, people like having alternatives to choose between.

But generally, if you want to continue what I started, go for Redoran, Telvanni and Dwemer I'd say.
Peachy wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:37 I'm sorry for all the noob questions and such but the sooner I can focus on something the sooner I can do my best to help out.
What noob questions? ;)
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Welcome Peachy!

Having help on updating game assets would indeed be great! This and a few other posts inspired me to look into trying to restart that project. Unfortunately I'm a bit underqualified to set it up myself, but hopefully some form of it allows those of us less technically inclined to start working on it again in the near future.

I also wanted to shamelessly plug a post that I made several months ago on PR content since you said you'd be interested in working on that. The project still has plenty of room for improvement in that area as well. Maybe there's something on the list that inspires you ;)

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5315
faerietree

Post by faerietree »

Great to know you around, Peachy.

The engine's capabilities are amazing. (Saying this having worked heavily in other engines codewise before.)

Not few of the code I contributed to other projects I found here in OpenMW, just much better than I did. Also my future plans for other engines - a ton of work - I found already done here in OpenMW. Wow!

There are still some cornerstones hindering my progress though, because I am not so much into being dependent on a Construction suite. Rather I prefer modular approach (unix principle). Having individual scripts and files in the filesystem in version control instead of in a big binary ESM|ESP|omwaddon. Is there a way to generate omwaddon from individual XML|JSON, Lua|MWScript NIF|COLLADA|glTF files on the fly enginewise?

For my side, I'd like to work more on a small showcase project. I once worked on it secretely for another engine. I imagine a knights tournament. This is something even a small team could handle, don't you think? The ExampleSuite buildings just need textures. As the character does. Then horses. (Later we can add more and more to increase fun. Let's talk silt strider tournament. Or rabbit chariot aka Radagast. We could have mage tournaments with magic colors and fireworks everywhere.

I know there is a mod that allows the player in MW to participate in an arena. For the example suite (which then needs a fascinating name instead of course once we tackle it) I'd like to see something doable. A small countryside as it is. With some storytelling about the mysterious tournament, where this year something weird and unexpected is happening. A rise of a dark power that tries to use the tournament to get rid of some of the most proficient leaders in a strategy to creapily endanger the peace of the elements.

The future is upon you.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Assets that would go in a BSA (textures, meshes, sounds, animations etc.) can be loose in a Data directory and they'll have priority over any from a BSA. ESM stuff has to be in an ESM (or similar thing like an ESP or omwaddon), at least for now, but I'm pretty sure there are other tools that can at least convert to a textual representation.