Application: Sailanarmo

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Sailanarmo

Application: Sailanarmo

Post by Sailanarmo »

Greetings,

I tried to join around two years ago. However that was in the middle of some of my toughest semesters at my University and now that I am graduated and in the real world I would love to help out in any way that I can.

I am very proficient in C++. I also have learned how to use QT and their libraries within the last year however I can always learn more. My desire with this project is to try my hand at helping out creating a wonderful engine for a beautiful game. I have excellent debugging skills, I have experience upgrading systems, and I have graduated with two degrees. One in Computer Science and one in Mathematics. Algorithms and problem solving are probably my strong points. However I can also do GUI work if needed.

Please let me know in what way I can help. You can check out my Github for recent projects that I have been involved in.

Thanks,

Sail
AnyOldName3

Re: Application: Sailanarmo

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The first thing to do would be to look on the issue tracker and see if there's anything you think you can do - you seem pretty competent, so you should be able to find something interesting. The editor is probably what needs the most attention, but that might not be the most interesting thing available.

If you have further questions, you'll usually get a response pretty quickly on IRC or Discord from someone who knows things.
Sailanarmo

Post by Sailanarmo »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 18:32 The first thing to do would be to look on the issue tracker and see if there's anything you think you can do - you seem pretty competent, so you should be able to find something interesting. The editor is probably what needs the most attention, but that might not be the most interesting thing available.

If you have further questions, you'll usually get a response pretty quickly on IRC or Discord from someone who knows things.
Is there an official discord that I can get an invite to? I have one in my current discord, however I didn't know if that was the official discord or not. I'll have a look at the issue tracker. Did the Qt4 ->Qt5 upgrade ever get resolved? I noticed my original post had that conversation within it but I didn't know if that got resolved.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The threading bug is still a thing (although another, similar, threading bug has been resolved). It's on my list of things to investigate. If you wanted to do that instead of me, you'd probably need to learn quite a bit about the guts of OpenSceneGraph, so it's not the most enticing issue for someone new to the team. (Of course, it might turn out to be something obvious that's written in bold in the Qt5 docs that'll only take a couple of minutes to identify and fix for someone who knows Qt.)
Sailanarmo

Post by Sailanarmo »

@AnyOldName3, do you have a link to the issue I can look at? I might have a look. Threads are fun to try and figure out (sarcasm). But I can have a look, never hurts to have more than one person take a peak.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm not sure we've got an actual report for it (as technically, it's probably an osgQt issue, not an OpenMW issue). I think Capostrophic was the one who determined that the fix in osgQt didn't fix the whole issue, so he should have some information on the symptoms and its replication.

The site of the workaround is https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/blob/m ... t.cpp#L140, and that has a comment explaining things a little.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

That part of the code is fairly self-explanatory actually. When the workaround is removed, scene widget crashes with "Cannot make QOpenGLContext current in a different thread" on Qt5 even after the osgQt update.
Sailanarmo

Post by Sailanarmo »

Do we know where in Scene Widget it crashes? I can take a deeper look when I get home from work.
Sailanarmo

Post by Sailanarmo »

Oof yeah,

I know that Qt Deprecated QGLWidget so if OSG is still using QGLWidget in some of their calls instead of moving to QOpenGLWidget or QOpenGLWindow then there can be some dependency issues. However, that will be quite a challenge since I am sure that there are plenty of OSG users that are still depending on Qt4 which has support for QGLWidget.

My guess is that you are correct it is probably a OSG issue. And as far as I can tell, they are still using the deprecated QGLWidget class. I can dive in and take a look, my guess, is that we would need to remove ALL of the QGLWidget calls and replace them with the newer supported classes.