Application: Desttinghim

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
desttinghim

Application: Desttinghim

Post by desttinghim »

Hello, I have had an off-and-on interest in OpenMW. I did not grow up on Morrowind (I'm a bigger fan of Zelda myself), but I like the idea of an open source, open world RPG engine. I want to help fix bugs and contribute to the example suite. I am a self-taught programmer (though I have a little college experience, that isn't where I really learned where to program), and occasionally artist. I don't profess to be amazing at either, but I would like to help improve OpenMW and myself at the same time. I am thinking of trying my hand at this issue: https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/issues/3430

Any pointers/help/etc. would be appreciated.
lysol

Re: Application: Desttinghim

Post by lysol »

Welcome! I take it you've already read through the developer checklist?

Nice to hear you want to work on the CS, because it requires a lot of work put into it.
desttinghim

Post by desttinghim »

Yes, I have read through the developer's checklist.

The CS is the part I'm most excited about as someone who dreams of being a game developer. I'm a fan of open source software in general, and I'd like to see more games that are released under open licenses (including the content). I'd like to see writing universes open for people to contribute to. Having good tooling is important to inspire people to contribute to projects like that.
lysol

Post by lysol »

You're most welcome! I hope you can find a suitable task to work with. Zini is the main guy to talk to if you have questions, but unfortunately, he's away at the moment. We hope he'll return soon though.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

I don't know much about 3430, but I've dabbled some with the editor, so I'd be glad to help if I can.
desttinghim

Post by desttinghim »

Thanks! I'll reach out if I get stuck. So far everything seems fairly straightforward in the code.