Application: SpellSword14

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
SpellSword14

Application: SpellSword14

Post by SpellSword14 »

First I want to say thank you guys for adding cross platform support for this great game! It is rare for me to find games I like with official support for Arch Linux. I am a full-time CS undergrad student and I work part-time at my local library. There I do some programming making simple programs for the Arduino to hopefully get our STEM kids interested in programming. I also work in theater there as the "sound and lights guy". On my free time I work on my own little projects some are posted on my github: https://github.com/IsemanTech. I primary program in C++ and I have been using the language for over a year. I also dabble with lua. I have skimmed through articles and books about game engines and I am excited to get my hands dirty or help in any other ways I can.
aesylwinn

Re: Application: SpellSword14

Post by aesylwinn »

The arduino's a pretty neat microcontroller. I think I'll go remake my LED cube that got crushed during a move. :)

The guide for setting up a development environment can be found here. Make sure you read through the policies and standards section of the wiki. After that, feel free to find something that interests you on the bug/feature tracker.

For OpenMW itself, most issues are related to bug fixes. Not too many people are working on the CS at the moment and there's quite a bit to be done there feature-wise, if that interests you.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Additionally, if you're on Windows and don't want to go through the hassle that is setting up a dev environment, you can run the prebuild script in <git repo>/CI/before_script.msvc.sh, which will download all dependencies, create a visual studio project, and copy any files needed at runtime to the right folders. To run it, you need CMake, git bash, and, of course, visual studio.
SpellSword14

Post by SpellSword14 »

Yeah Arduino is great! An LED cube sounds cool I would like to see it! Thank You! I am using Arch Linux and I didn't have any issues setting up the dev environment.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

AnyOldName3 wrote:Additionally, if you're on Windows and don't want to go through the hassle that is setting up a dev environment, you can run the prebuild script in <git repo>/CI/before_script.msvc.sh, which will download all dependencies, create a visual studio project, and copy any files needed at runtime to the right folders. To run it, you need CMake, git bash, and, of course, visual studio.
Currently needs 7-zip to be installed as well, not to forget.

Reminds me that I still need to find the time to build up library packages for VS2015.
SpellSword14

Post by SpellSword14 »

For OpenMW itself, most issues are related to bug fixes. Not too many people are working on the CS at the moment and there's quite a bit to be done there feature-wise, if that interests you.
Yeah sure where can I start working on the CS? I want to help as much as I can.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We still have one last verifier task available: Editor: Enchantment effect record verifier. This is an easy task regarding the coding aspect, but it requires some knowledge/research about how MW game mechanics work. Its also a bit tedious.

If you want to start with something a bit more difficult (and less boring), we still have these tasks available:

* Editor: Column filtering
* Editor: Rendering User Settings
* OpenCS: Allow Assignment of Multiple Subrecords

Or if you want something even bigger we still have Editor: Palette subview. This task is currently assigned to me, but it doesn't look like I will be making progress anytime soon (RL got in the way). I wouldn't mind releasing it to you.
SpellSword14

Post by SpellSword14 »

I would like to work on the column filtering feature. This is something I would really like to see. Because it is a pain scrolling through all of the columns. I would like to try to implement some kind of search feature. Is anyone working on this?
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

No one is working on this feature. Go ahead!

Just to be clear, I wouldn't describe it as a search feature. For most of the tables we actually already have something like that. The column filtering is a way to set which columns are visible to the user.

Perhaps Zini can comment on whether his vision for the feature has changed, but this is how it was previously described it.
Zini wrote:Our tables have lots of columns. Too many in some cases. We need a way for the user to filter out columns.

This should work like this:
- Add a new settings page (Column Filters).
- Have a list of named column filters (with some useful pre-dfines), each listing the columns they should allow through.
- Add UI elements to add/delete/rename/modify these filters.
- Add a column filter combo box right of the record filter box in the table views (for subviews with very small width we should place the box below the record filter box instead).
- Filter out columns according to this combo box.
- The must be a "No Filter" option that shows all columns.
- The combo box should only list filters that make sense in the context of the respective table.

If we wanna get fancy, we could also add:
- a pop-menu for column headers that allow removal of that column from the specific table.
- add sub-menu (of that pop-up menu) with a list of all columns currently filtered out; this would then add the column back
- in the case of such customised filters, the column filter combo box should show a text like "Custom filter".

Note: We are treating column filters differently from record filters, because column filters are not specific to a content file. All content files have the same columns.
SpellSword14

Post by SpellSword14 »

I see. I have a better understanding of this feature should work now. How or where do I start writing the code for this new feature for opencs? This is my first time making a contribution to a project this big. So I feel just a tad bit overwhelmed, but also excited at the same time.
Last edited by SpellSword14 on 24 Jul 2016, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.