I want to help

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Okulo

Re: I want to help

Post by Okulo »

lamart wrote:And how I clean the IP ? :?:
With a hammer. :P

You don't clean an IP. By a clean IP he means that the license the creator has put on the asset needs to be okay for us to use. GPL is the most common official one we can use, but there are some other licenses. The creator might also have no idea about licenses, so he would just add a line to his readme file saying something like: "Feel free to use this in any way you like" or something.

When you make a model from scratch, you should add some information to it. What can people do with your model? Can they modify it? Can they freely use it in their own projects? Some artists are not comfortable with putting their work out there. Other artists would like others to build on it. I don't know what you want to happen to your work, but you make that choice for the assets you have created.

Unfortunately, OpenMW's example suite can't just use any asset that is found online. We want to be sure we respect all the artists out there and comply with their wishes as well as the law. We need to be allowed to freely use these assets and spread them, which is what he meant by "clean asset". That means that if you create an asset for the example suite, you would have to give other people permission to use it for their own project. (We're working with the philosophy that we are giving back to the community and the community is giving back to us. As long as we all freely share our assets and our skills, everyone will be better for it - sharing is great and allows everyone to be creative and make newer and cooler stuff.)

In short, if the artist doesn't say anything about permission to use and spread those assets, it's better to be safe and not use them at all.
sjek

Post by sjek »

yeah :mrgreen:

of the example suite does it mean this one ?
http://www.mindwerks.net/2013/02/introd ... ing-needs/

with possibility of landmass expansion and creation.

castle on top of that hill or spartan inspired scene with scripted traps or something would be cool 8-)
althought to 1.0 is coming opencs and new fileformat for esp maybe it could be easy to build scene structure again from agreed scene anyway

name is bond. james bond attitude style of modding ?p

can bullet physic and other libraries be used for extra functionality althought just getting barely the build done.

trange to fly around with only that head and that hill is too steep to climp without jumping animation of some sort xP

humanoid or some other life form ?

could have different size characters basically

aaaaaaaand as of those pictures does it take bandwith from the server (link jpg from another site) or can it go in limits of good taste .?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

sjek wrote:anyway this is in general open source volunteer project, some may get jobs via this and support from others also financially (volunteer like) but becos of bethesda nobody can really sell OpenMW or take directly concgrat sponsors for this or they could sue basically the whole project if they wanted and that would be the end of it becos i dunno anybody around here cannot go for court against professional game industry and so they are kinda unspoken and spoken rules of this project.
Wrong.

You can sell OpenMW, there is no one stopping anyone from making money off of OpenMW. You just have to honour the license (GPLv3) when you do. OpenMW is in Debian and other Linux distributions that sell CD/DVDs to generate revenue for example.

There are no "unspoken rules" in OpenMW or FOSS in general. We are transparent in what we do and try our best to abide by international law.

We are strict when it comes to IP laws. If you create content, you need to license it in a certain way if you wish it to be included with OpenMW. We cannot accept anything that has a contradictory license. We would like very much to avoid anything that doesn't come with a license.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

sjek wrote:yeah :mrgreen:

of the example suite does it mean this one ?

with possibility of landmass expansion and creation.

castle on top of that hill or spartan inspired scene with scripted traps or something would be cool 8-)
althought to 1.0 is coming opencs and new fileformat for esp maybe it could be easy to build scene structure again from agreed scene anyway
That was just us messing around a LONG time ago. If you want to play around with it, go ahead. ;)

The example-suite details are somewhere around here on the forum, but it was to demo OpenMW with original content (clean IP) that had nothing to do with Morrowind. Small game, few quests, few monsters and NPCs, buildings, crypt, dungeon/cave and lighthouse. Maybe a graveyard?

However all the assets/statics/meshes/textures need either be created from scratch or used from existing material that openly licensed, preferably with the creative commons CC-BY or CC-BY-SA.

https://creativecommons.org/choose/
sjek

Post by sjek »

ok xP

edit: basically if would build part of the assets in minecraft and port it via blender to morrowind it would go as builded from cratch and under CC ?p as with bethesda original game assets and other's mods go as their licence states
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

sjek wrote:edit: basically if would build part of the assets in minecraft and port it via blender to morrowind it would go as builded from cratch and under CC ?p as with bethesda original game assets and other's mods go as their licence states
What you do for yourself is cool, enjoy! :) If you want to share it with others, cool. Modding is modding in the TES world like fliggerty or nexus.

What we're saying is that if you wish it to be apart of the example-suite, that OpenMW ships, then it has to be original content of yours that you put under an open license OR the content/assets from other people who have done the same.

Taking other assets from other projects/games and porting them to OpenMW is still derivative work so you have to be sure the original work's license allows that. If the work has no license, that is just as good for us as NO.
sjek

Post by sjek »

And if it's other work then the source is openly stated and also saved if possible and for the best cractise original author is contacted for the permission anyway? As when licence stated it can be used freely
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Let me just preface all of this by saying... modders are going to do what they do regardless of IP/Law/copyright and we don't and will not enforce anything here. :)

My only concern is with the example-suite and anything that goes in it.

So if you want, for your own amusement, port content from other games/worlds/whatever... cool, have fun! :D
sjek wrote:And if it's other work then the source is openly stated and also saved if possible and for the best cractise original author is contacted for the permission anyway? As when licence stated it can be used freely
If the license is openly stated, then you don't have to contact the author(s) but it is always nice to do so anyway. You meet new people! :D If there isn't a license, you can always contact the author(s) to clarify. I've done that in past with good success, most people I've come across have no problem with making their content copyleft or free-like license.

However there are authors that would like to have an open/free license, but can't because their work is derivative from another work that has a strict or non-free license. That has also happened to me when dealing with code to convert IMF files to MIDI.

@lgro and @zini: Maybe we should have a FAQ entry on this just to clarify our position. we are not the copyright/IP police. What do you think?
lamart

Post by lamart »

And so, if I do a readme notepad with : "You can do that you want of my model"
It's okay Okudo?
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

lamart wrote:And so, if I do a readme notepad with : "You can do that you want of my model"
It's okay Okudo?
Psi linked to the CC license picker earlier. You should use that to add a Creative Commons license to your work.