Application - Gaius

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
gaiusimperator

Application - Gaius

Post by gaiusimperator »

'Sup fellahs, I am a intermediate level C++ coder currently in college aiming for a Computer Science degree. I have done small, minor implementation work on the Andoran .esm converter Chuvakin, though my work was never published since school, and a severe language/time zone barrier, forced me to refocus from finishing my claim.

I have been a massive fan of Morrowind since I was just a kid, and I have made a few personal mods, though I have never released them, as they were buggy and dirty.

I can do simple projects, and help with design and implementation. My specialties are in debugging and adding functionality, instead of full implementation.

I already have VS 2008 installed, I use Windows, but I have experience with Unix, and have Linux set up as a dual boot.

I am willing to do whatever is needed for the project, but I am limited for time since I am a student.
Zini

Re: Application - Gaius

Post by Zini »

Welcome!

That makes what? 6 new developer in less than a week? Don't remember ever having such a rush.

Here is the last semi-beginner-friendly task: Experimental DirArchives improvements

If you take it, we will be official out of beginner tasks. Everything else is either Qt-related editor work or hard or depends on a few roadblock features, that make little or no progress.
gaiusimperator

Post by gaiusimperator »

Well, colour me interested. I'm setting up my environment right now, and I'll see what I can do.
blunted2night

Post by blunted2night »

I had a look in there, and even reworked it to not bother with the map at all, and instead just normalize the path names before sending them down to Ogre's default implementation. This allowed ogres built in indexing of resources to operate, and reduce the number of times Ogre had to fallback to calling archive->exists (...) on each registered archive which my profiling data said was the main bottle neck. On my windows 8 system, the call to _stat was quite expensive compared to other things going on at the same time.

My path normalization was just to change back-slashes into forward-slashes, and the conversion occurring during populate and findFile look to be more involved, so I don't know if my approach may have had issues that I didn't see from roaming around a vanilla install.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

6!

Welcome!
hircine

Post by hircine »

gaiusimperator wrote:Well, colour me interested. I'm setting up my environment right now, and I'll see what I can do.
I like you, you know how to spell colour.

welcome :)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

hircine wrote:
gaiusimperator wrote:Well, colour me interested. I'm setting up my environment right now, and I'll see what I can do.

Well hello neighbour... ;)
hircine

Post by hircine »

BrotherBrick wrote:
hircine wrote:

watch out, the herrbakta is watching ;)

Hi brickles!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

hircine wrote:
BrotherBrick wrote:
hircine wrote:

watch out, the herrbakta is watching ;)

Hi brickles!
It gives him something to do... off topic off topic.... :P

BTW: Welcome fellow (almost?) computer scientist.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

hircine wrote: watch out, the herrbakta is watching ;)
Don't worry, he has been afk for a month now I think :).

So, how's the example suite coming anyways?