Welcome to the community [poll]

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Greendogo

Re: Welcome to the community [poll]

Post by Greendogo »

Necrod wrote:*snip*
I always read about people having hundreds or thousands of tabs open at once. Madness! My computer barely lets me have 20 open at once before freaking out.

Anyway, I got into the OpenMW group early, way back when it was only a google group and a thread on the Bethesda forums. I was around when Nicolay first started to program the project. I was around with PVDK when we were first chatting about making the demo cells (before it was called the Example Suite). It's been a wild ride, and several years later, this project has gone through at least one major rebirth (Thanks ZINI!) and we are now accruing so many new members and volunteers, it's quite exciting.
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

Ages ago I stumbled upon it. It wasn't much and I had seen more impressive port attempts, so I didn't pay that much notice.

Then someone posted about it on the XL Engine forums about 1-1.5 years ago, and I stopped by again. A lot more progress was made by then, so I bookmarked it and lurked around until I finally registered some months ago.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Lazaroth wrote:snip
What was the more impressive port? Crystal Scrolls? It was impressive for the amount of work done by one man, but as far as it appeared to me, OpenMW was always going to be the more long lived project and the more established project in the community. Plus it was open-sourced from the beginning with a hopeful emphasis on community involvement. Were there other Morrowind engine projects? I know there was also one by DragonGeo.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Necrod wrote:As I was weekly sweeping my tabs in Firefox (I have about 976 tabs opened ATM), I stumbled upon OpenMW blog tab. I have no idea how I found it for the first time..

So I kept checking the blog for updates on daily basis, after realizing news is posted once a week, I started reading the forums. Eventually I registered and started posting un-interesting posts like this one :)
This is madness. 976 tabs? What did a favorites list do to you that you foresake it so? And I dont even use tabs.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

I can't remember where I first heard about the project, but I've been interested in open source games for at least six years. I used to be an active forum member over at Secret Maryo Chronicles. It was soon after I heard about OpenMW that I joined the forums and that would have been in January of this year, probably on freegamer or maybe saw a video on YouTube. I sincerely believe there are a number of factors that could make this project explode in popularity and influence.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

Tarius wrote:
Necrod wrote:As I was weekly sweeping my tabs in Firefox (I have about 976 tabs opened ATM), I stumbled upon OpenMW blog tab. I have no idea how I found it for the first time..

So I kept checking the blog for updates on daily basis, after realizing news is posted once a week, I started reading the forums. Eventually I registered and started posting un-interesting posts like this one :)
This is madness. 976 tabs? What did a favorites list do to you that you foresake it so? And I dont even use tabs.
Oh that, well I have infinite bookmarks as well, problem is I never open any tab back from bookmarks or favorites, and currently opened tabs are the ones I need to read and then bookmark.. (actually 70% is just junk)

@greendogo: I talked to a lot of people about that, and never I heard anyone said he has more than 100 tabs opened.. This makes me feel less insane :D
Also, Firefox like this uses 782mb of RAM and about 15% of CPU.. Trick is in checking the option "do not load tab until clicked"
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

Greendogo wrote: What was the more impressive port? Crystal Scrolls?
Were there other Morrowind engine projects? I know there was also one by DragonGeo.
TBH, I don't recall. It could have been.
It was ages ago, in a time before memories. The world was new and only a few months of OpenMW coding was done. None could say if this obscure project would fall into Oblivion like so many others or rise and be transformed into something greater than once was.

I think I'd seen 2-3 projects besides OpenMW. Don't remember their names.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

First of all, I'd like to thank everybody who replied, I feared my question wouldn't get many answers except for those who are very active on these forums, too bad I had no reply from a new member...

I'd like to ask if it would be possible to let new members answer this question by making it a step in the registration, it would give me at least a 100 procent answers :).

If you see this and didn't commented on this threat yet, nows the time! :D
edmondo

Post by edmondo »

Zedd wrote:If you see this and didn't commented on this threat yet, nows the time! :D
Here my feedback then.

I was, as I always do, surfing the internet and looking for interesting open source projects. If I remember well, I was in "The Linux Game Tome" that I've seen OpenMW first. I really loved Morrowind, so seeing an open source engine for it was for me exciting enough to jump here, search my old install CDs, build a crappy gentoo ebuild to see how it looks. I was impressed.

So, since then I'm here every day, reading the forum and enjoying it, compiling the source from git and sending some simple patches.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

Zedd wrote:First of all, I'd like to thank everybody who replied, I feared my question wouldn't get many answers except for those who are very active on these forums, too bad I had no reply from a new member...

I'd like to ask if it would be possible to let new members answer this question by making it a step in the registration, it would give me at least a 100 procent answers :).

If you see this and didn't commented on this threat yet, nows the time! :D

Yup that would be cool indeed. Optional step in registration, few predefined answers like moddb, youtube. And a blank field to enter whatever.