OpenMW 0.47.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
PerryHugh

Re: OpenMW 0.47.0

Post by PerryHugh »

Greendogo wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 07:19 Is any work on the Gamepad UI likely to be worked on for 0.47?
Considering the estimated half year release cycle, I would say it is probable I will personally put more effort into my WIP branch. This doesn't necessarily mean there will be any breakthroughs, as that branch needs to be built up from near scratch to coexist peacefully with new updates.
AbuMorrow

Post by AbuMorrow »

Shall we expect grass support for 0.47? There has been alot of work on that recently.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

You can use grass/ground cover right now as-is in nightlies thanks to Object Paging and Active Grid, just flip the switch in the launcher and you're good to go.

You mean if there will be special handling of ground-cover coming for 0.47, we'll see.

Depending on your machine, as is the case with my laptop, that Object Paging (that is in the nightly) is good enough. There are circumstances where it gives better performance over what is being explored/researched now for the special handling.

If you're weak on RAM though, it is possible that the special-handling of ground cover will benefit you more.

Back to your question though, ground-cover is already supported and has been for months now, check out object paging and active grid.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Well, I guess it is good to mention that the special handling of grass do not have the issues with the max 8 lights limit like the active grid paging has as of now.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

From the activity on gitlab it looks like 0.47 is nearing release? If that's the case, are there any plans to start working on release commentary videos?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Lamoot wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 19:06 From the activity on gitlab it looks like 0.47 is nearing release? If that's the case, are there any plans to start working on release commentary videos?
Work on the videos has already started and is currently in the planning stage (issue selection, scene concepts, script writing, etc.). I intend to finish the PR changelog for our official release announcement first and, then, concentrate on video production. My latest status is that Johnnyhostile is also working on a video script - I guess we will combine our forces next week or so.

Do you want to help us creating the videos, Lamoot? Or did you ask out of general interest?
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Atahualpa wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 20:23
Lamoot wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 19:06 From the activity on gitlab it looks like 0.47 is nearing release? If that's the case, are there any plans to start working on release commentary videos?
Work on the videos has already started and is currently in the planning stage (issue selection, scene concepts, script writing, etc.). I intend to finish the PR changelog for our official release announcement first and, then, concentrate on video production. My latest status is that Johnnyhostile is also working on a video script - I guess we will combine our forces next week or so.

Do you want to help us creating the videos, Lamoot? Or did you ask out of general interest?
Asking only out of general interest :) I prefer to stay on pipeline / documentation unless necessary. Great to hear the comentaries are already being worked on.
mistermoonshine

Post by mistermoonshine »

I made a short showcase video for 0.47. Similar to the last one I made for 0.46 a couple years ago if anyone remembers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj6jK6TuCCI
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I remember the original one you posted, it got critique because it had the feeling that it was trying to be "official" even though OpenMW team didn't make it.

This time around, the subtle hint to it being a modding show-case is okay but it still lacks "unofficial" that was asked for. Overall it looks very impressive, great job.

I find it weird that you went out of the way to use Vtastek shaders but didn't bother including the work being done on groundcover/grass instancing which would have given your video better framerate and more 'pop'. I guess that's for next time? :P

Very cool otherwise! Thanks for sharing. :D
mistermoonshine

Post by mistermoonshine »

psi29a wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 10:47 I remember the original one you posted, it got critique because it had the feeling that it was trying to be "official" even though OpenMW team didn't make it.

This time around, the subtle hint to it being a modding show-case is okay but it still lacks "unofficial" that was asked for. Overall it looks very impressive, great job.

I find it weird that you went out of the way to use Vtastek shaders but didn't bother including the work being done on groundcover/grass instancing which would have given your video better framerate and more 'pop'. I guess that's for next time? :P

Very cool otherwise! Thanks for sharing. :D
Apologies, I did not intend for my videos to appear "official" in any way. I just wanted to show what is currently graphically possible with OpenMW. I'll add a disclaimer to my video description.

As for grass, I'm a bit confused. I'm aware that work is being done on groundcover support but from what I could see it wasn't available in the nightly, knowledge of how to install which is the extent of my Githib proficiency. I had been using grass with object paging. Did I make a mistake :oops: