Projected release date with all currently-planned features.

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Tarius

Re: Projected release date with all currently-planned featur

Post by Tarius »

Yacoby wrote:The bigger problem I see is 1.1, which will (I assume) take several years after the release of 1.0 due to arguing over the scripting language ;)
I saw the thread with argueing about language and what I see it as coming down to is two things:
1. Extend current language and people have to learn new stuff.
2. Use language like Python(or whatever other was mentioned) and people have to learn new stuff, just more than #1. Difference is that this one is potentially far more versitile and efficient.

Judging by the fact that many people have to learn new stuff to begin with when modding, it probably isnt a big deal to make them learn more of it, if said stuff is more efficient and versitile.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Not to worry Yacoby, I think it is enough to use the ``benevolent dictator'' solution. One person does the final decision.
So the team decide a time for arguing. When the time finishes the benevolent dictator decides (of course considering of the points shown in the arguing).

Yet I think scripting language is somewhat pointless if openmw does not have many modders. Openmw can have a wonderful language, but if no-one uses it is a waste. Can expect many persons writing mods that cannot be played with original Morrowind?
Nomadic1

Post by Nomadic1 »

ezzetabi wrote:Yet I think scripting language is somewhat pointless if openmw does not have many modders. Openmw can have a wonderful language, but if no-one uses it is a waste. Can expect many persons writing mods that cannot be played with original Morrowind?
FWIW, I'm really wanting to make a full-on mod that uses OpenMW (what I want to do is near-impossible with Morrowind as it is) and can't wait for OpenMW to be finished. I can only see interest growing as you get closer to completion.

I don't think you need to worry about not having modders ;)
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Thanks nice. What about open a thread in the of topic section about your idea? Sounds fascinating.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

To be fair, OpenMW does not need Marrowind assets to run. One could, for example, create your own total conversion.

http://ultima.cfkasper.de/ <-- Ultima remake using Morrowind's engine, which will also work in OpenMW. Zini is one of the developers of that project.

Think of OpenMW as Gamebryo Engine replacement (OpenGamebryo) which is more appropriate.

There is already talk of Oblivion and other gamebryo titles that could work inside the OpenMW framework.

OpenMW just focuses on Morrowind and it's expansions as a target for right now, who knows post 1.0 release.

The future is bright! :)
hircine

Post by hircine »

BrotherBrick wrote:
Underground? :lol:
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

hircine wrote:
BrotherBrick wrote:
Underground? :lol:
Indeed... Fallout3
Nomadic1

Post by Nomadic1 »

ezzetabi wrote:Thanks nice. What about open a thread in the of topic section about your idea? Sounds fascinating.
It's nothing terribly exciting, truthfully. I just have the mad idea of remaking the entirety of the game 4 times as large and done with new, more modern-ish art assets. And rule changes, rebalancing, and removal of the dice-roll style combat. That's the gist of it.
BrotherBrick wrote:To be fair, OpenMW does not need Marrowind assets to run. One could, for example, create your own total conversion.

http://ultima.cfkasper.de/ <-- Ultima remake using Morrowind's engine, which will also work in OpenMW. Zini is one of the developers of that project.

Think of OpenMW as Gamebryo Engine replacement (OpenGamebryo) which is more appropriate.

There is already talk of Oblivion and other gamebryo titles that could work inside the OpenMW framework.

OpenMW just focuses on Morrowind and it's expansions as a target for right now, who knows post 1.0 release.

I know, but Morrowind as it is could never do it. It seems like OpenMW could ;)
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Yacoby wrote:The bigger problem I see is 1.1, which will (I assume) take several years after the release of 1.0 due to arguing over the scripting language ;)
Brainfuck will be the scripting language.

Discussion over.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

no! Let's use Ook! instead http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/ook.html

lolcode is also interesting

Code: Select all

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
I HAS A VAR
IM IN YR LOOP
	UPZ VAR!!1