A Call to Screenshots

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

A Call to Screenshots

Post by Atahualpa »

While updating our media page, I stumbled across the good old screenshots page at our wiki. Well, the latest screenshots date back to version 0.40.0 - and while the time of drastic visual changes is over, a few more screenshots would be nice in order to document our progress.

So, all you sedulous OpenMW players:

We need screenshots of beautiful/cool/nostalgic game scenes, best connected to recently added features - for version 0.45.0, rougher water shader, 360° screenshots, scenic Silt Strider travel, dragonflies, or AI processing range come to my mind. If you have an older installation - e.g., 0.42.0 - start it up and take some screenshots (drowning widget, falling leaves in Vurt's mods, etc.). I'm sure that you'll come up with some nice pictures.

Where to put them? Either directly add them to the wiki page or provide us with a link to imgur or the file hosting service of your choice.

(And maybe we should reconsider the concept of a wiki page since loading times are quite extreme.)

Thanks in advance! :)
testman
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/testman42

Re: A Call to Screenshots

Post by testman »

Any suggestion about how to edit the config files in order to get the prettiest graphics out of the game (and therefore the lowest framerate)?
Also do we go just vanilla / GOTY or do we also apply mods that add various graphical enhancements?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Disclaimer: The following is just my opinion. You're free to completely go nuts here. 8-)

I wouldn't mess around with the graphics too much; increase the viewing distance a bit, make sure to enable all water shader options, and max out all in-game menu graphics options... I'd only use graphics mods if they are related to the release, e.g., Vurt's replacers (0.42.0). However, using OpenMW-exclusive mods, like lysol's texture replacers or other replacer mods, should be fine.
testman
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/testman42

Post by testman »

See if there is anything useful in here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

testman wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 20:32 See if there is anything useful in here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Okay, that's a lot of screenshots. Will go through them later. Version 0.45.0, I guess?
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Atahualpa wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 18:55 Disclaimer: The following is just my opinion. You're free to completely go nuts here. 8-)

I wouldn't mess around with the graphics too much; increase the viewing distance a bit, make sure to enable all water shader options, and max out all in-game menu graphics options... I'd only use graphics mods if they are related to the release, e.g., Vurt's replacers (0.42.0). However, using OpenMW-exclusive mods, like lysol's texture replacers or other replacer mods, should be fine.
I totally support this thread. My two cents though, I've always hated when games advertise with images that couldn't have been realistically played in the game. Plus, for historical accuracy and comparisons between versions, I think we should have a list of images that are purely vanilla at playable settings. I think another list that shows off new features would be fine to include relevant mods only, e.g. height mapped textures to show off that feature, glowing windows to show off that feature. And then true "user submitted" mods that can include whatever crazy stuff you want to. Any of these levels could be user submitted, but I think just being transparent about what version, framerate, and relevant mods are shown in a screenshot is necessary.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Ravenwing wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 05:42 I totally support this thread. My two cents though, I've always hated when games advertise with images that couldn't have been realistically played in the game. Plus, for historical accuracy and comparisons between versions, I think we should have a list of images that are purely vanilla at playable settings. I think another list that shows off new features would be fine to include relevant mods only, e.g. height mapped textures to show off that feature, glowing windows to show off that feature. And then true "user submitted" mods that can include whatever crazy stuff you want to. Any of these levels could be user submitted, but I think just being transparent about what version, framerate, and relevant mods are shown in a screenshot is necessary.
Your strict approach actually sounds better than my previous one. Which raises the question: How are we going to communicate which screenshots were taken with what mod/settings setup? And where to we put those screenshots? I already mentioned that the wiki page - at least, in its current state - is not the appropriate place for an extensive art gallery.