OpenMW YouTube videos

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Jemolk

Re: OpenMW YouTube videos

Post by Jemolk »

mistermoonshine wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 19:23 last time I uploaded MindTex'd normal maps for a mod without asking the author I got suspended, which I don't personally agree with because they're kind of useless without the source textures, but they're the rules.
If you upload only the normals and make that very explicit, and that it is dependent on the original work, that really shouldn't be any different from uploading a plugin that's dependent on another one that you don't have permission to change and re-upload. That is, you shouldn't need permission. Unless the Nexus rules are really deranged with regard to textures, anyway. If they are, then maybe you can upload them to Great House Fliggerty once their server migration, which has been taking bloody years, is finally complete.
mistermoonshine

Post by mistermoonshine »

Jemolk wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 23:37 If you upload only the normals and make that very explicit, and that it is dependent on the original work, that really shouldn't be any different from uploading a plugin that's dependent on another one that you don't have permission to change and re-upload. That is, you shouldn't need permission. Unless the Nexus rules are really deranged with regard to textures, anyway. If they are, then maybe you can upload them to Great House Fliggerty once their server migration, which has been taking bloody years, is finally complete.
I did say that, even strictly said the normals won't work without downloading the original mod, but according to the nexus the normals were created from another author's textures so they require the permission of the original author to be uploaded. Nexus is extremely anal about mod permissions. It's kind of annoying and it's one of the biggest reasons there's so much modder princess drama on the nexus. But w/e, nothing any of us can do about it. I might upload them to GHF but I feel they'd be seen by a lot more people on the nexus.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

mistermoonshine wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 00:59
Jemolk wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 23:37 If you upload only the normals and make that very explicit, and that it is dependent on the original work, that really shouldn't be any different from uploading a plugin that's dependent on another one that you don't have permission to change and re-upload. That is, you shouldn't need permission. Unless the Nexus rules are really deranged with regard to textures, anyway. If they are, then maybe you can upload them to Great House Fliggerty once their server migration, which has been taking bloody years, is finally complete.
I did say that, even strictly said the normals won't work without downloading the original mod, but according to the nexus the normals were created from another author's textures so they require the permission of the original author to be uploaded. Nexus is extremely anal about mod permissions. It's kind of annoying and it's one of the biggest reasons there's so much modder princess drama on the nexus. But w/e, nothing any of us can do about it. I might upload them to GHF but I feel they'd be seen by a lot more people on the nexus.
Jesus, some people are completely insane. Meh, not much to be done about it I guess. And yeah, they'd be seen by more people on the Nexus than on GFH, but they'll be seen more on GFH than on your hard drive. :P
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Loved the video. After some time has passed from the 0.45 release maybe the official channel could share your videos to keep up more enthusiasm.

Other potential overview videos:
1. TES3MP (something like a 10 minute overview)
2. The land generation tool
3. The save file importer

Definitely say/display which version you are using, that to see the latest progress on the feature to check the forums and bugtracker, and that assistance programming will speed up development.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Normal maps made with MindTex are derivative works of the original textures, so from a copyright standpoint, the Nexus is doing the legally safe thing by stopping the upload when you don't have the original texture creator's permission. ESPs which depend on other ESPs are different, as they just include a change to be made rather than a whole modified version of the original ESP.

If you're publishing mods, make sure to be clear about the licence and permissions. That way, if you disappear, people have some way of knowing what you're okay with instead of being forced to assume that you've gone for the most restrictive thing possible just to make sure no one gets sued.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 14:28 Normal maps made with MindTex are derivative works of the original textures, so from a copyright standpoint, the Nexus is doing the legally safe thing by stopping the upload when you don't have the original texture creator's permission.
Even when the originals are both needed and not included? Oh, goodie. Copyright law needs to be updated. And in the exact opposite direction corporate idiots are inclined to update it. It needs to be less cripplingly restrictive.
mistermoonshine

Post by mistermoonshine »

ElderTroll wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 12:53 Loved the video. After some time has passed from the 0.45 release maybe the official channel could share your videos to keep up more enthusiasm.

Other potential overview videos:
1. TES3MP (something like a 10 minute overview)
2. The land generation tool
3. The save file importer

Definitely say/display which version you are using, that to see the latest progress on the feature to check the forums and bugtracker, and that assistance programming will speed up development.
Thanks. I haven't actually tried TES3MP yet, just because I'm personally not hugely interested in multiplayer Morrowind, but it would be a good topic to cover. I think my next video will be about installing and modding OpenMW, I've seen quite a few people looking for an in-depth tutorial on that. I'll make sure to include the version number etc.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Hey mistermoonshine,

I just left you a comment and a subscription from our official channel. Terrific work - especially considering it was your first video of that kind. :)
As I wrote in the comment, I'd love to see future videos from you covering OpenMW's features. - May it be small quality-of-life changes (GUI, advanced settings, etc.) or huge differences, not achievable in the original engine (multiplayer).

Keep us posted about your next steps. :)
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Jemolk wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 18:47
AnyOldName3 wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 14:28 Normal maps made with MindTex are derivative works of the original textures, so from a copyright standpoint, the Nexus is doing the legally safe thing by stopping the upload when you don't have the original texture creator's permission.
Even when the originals are both needed and not included? Oh, goodie. Copyright law needs to be updated. And in the exact opposite direction corporate idiots are inclined to update it. It needs to be less cripplingly restrictive.
While I agree that copyright law isn't fit for either modern society or even its original intended purpose, I'm pretty sure it would be hard to come up with a rule that would allow this kind of normal map, but disallow similar, but bad things. One such example would be running every frame of a silent movie through MindTex. It would obviously be worse than watching the actual film, and you could argue that it was intended to be used with some fancy VLC plugin to add some kind of effect while watching a legitimate copy of the film, but you could still watch the normal maps instead of the film if you didn't want to pay and you were allowed to upload normal maps of things.
Chris

Post by Chris »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 00:10 While I agree that copyright law isn't fit for either modern society or even its original intended purpose, I'm pretty sure it would be hard to come up with a rule that would allow this kind of normal map, but disallow similar, but bad things. One such example would be running every frame of a silent movie through MindTex. It would obviously be worse than watching the actual film, and you could argue that it was intended to be used with some fancy VLC plugin to add some kind of effect while watching a legitimate copy of the film, but you could still watch the normal maps instead of the film if you didn't want to pay and you were allowed to upload normal maps of things.
Also, depending on the actual transformation applied to the image, it could be possible to partially or completely restore the original image. In the case of mindtex it's unlikely to get more than a grayscale of the original (if even that), but still. Just because the result appears different doesn't mean it's not a version created from the original.