Post 1.0 Plans

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
AnyOldName3

Re: Post 1.0 Plans

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm not convinced that we even use any of OSGAnimation based on the investigation I've been doing over the past few days. I think it's entirely custom right now.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Sorry, I mean... that it can do a lot for us. OsgAnimation is currently unused, but I was under the impression that we'd need it moving forward.
Heylmao

Post by Heylmao »

Here's some things I'd like to see at some point after the 1.0 release. Keep in mind I don't know anything about coding, just about simple modding, so I don't know how easy or hard it would be to implement.

1. A way to change the way skills work. Such as have the Axe skill determine damage with axes and not accuracy. Like by having all weapons 100% accurate all the time, but have the game use the Axe skill in the math to determine damage.

2. A way to change the number of skills. A way to add more skills to the game, such as a Thaumaturgy or Fire Arms skill. Or a way to make it so that there are fewer skills, such as combining Long Blade and Short Blade into Blade.

3. Doing the same with Attributes. Changing the way Intelligence is used in the game, combining Speed and Agility into Dexterity or adding a new Attributes such as Appearance or Power.

4. Doing the same with derived Attributes. Changing the way Fatigue is calculated, removing Magicka or adding a new one such as Sanity.

5. Changing what you get when you level up. Such as not getting more max Health when you level up. Or taking past levels into consideration for max Health if Endurance is increased (meaning it's as if your Endurance was always that number since you were level 1).

The idea here is for modders and game makers who are using the engine to be able to make game play changes. You could do something as simple as adding guns to Morrowind and give them there own Fire Arms stat. Maybe an overhaul to make Morrowind play more like Oblivion or Daggerfall. Or make a completely new game, that's survival horror RPG that takes place in the 1920s.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Read stage 1 of post-1.0 development design document.

tl;dr yes, dehardcoding of stuff like game mechanics will be a focus of post-1.0 development.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 11:52 It is, but then a fort gets destroyed or a mod adds a new building or tree to a cell, and that whole cell's light data is now invalid and needs regenerating. For the statics-get-changed-by-a-script case, it would be just about feasible for people to mark things in the editor which get modified by scripts and say which possible combinations of enabled and disabled exist, so while complicated, it's not impossible, but if mods are allowed to change things, you can't even let the mods include the updated lightmaps as another mod could change the same area and then you'd need compatibility patches for every combination of mods or users to sit through potentially hours of baking their own lightmaps for their own combination of mods.
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Hit up the general case, and have a "recalculating light" pop up whilst it is working so the player doesn't feel like the game is just randomly pausing, then come up with optimizations in the future.

Games regularly used to pause to do things that took time. Half-life use to do it between cells. It didn't ruin the game. It also will give modders pause for thought (pun intended) on what things will interrupt the game for too long as they test things out.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I did some napkin maths to estimate how long the popup would need to appear while the light was recalculated for one cell if we used a reasonable default density for light probes and no one had manually gone through every cell in Morrowind and placed them in the optimal positions. It came out as 500 hours per cell. That's obviously not something we can have in a popup.
dontpokethebear3893

Post by dontpokethebear3893 »

Heylmao wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 19:12 Here's some things I'd like to see at some point after the 1.0 release. Keep in mind I don't know anything about coding, just about simple modding, so I don't know how easy or hard it would be to implement.

1. A way to change the way skills work. Such as have the Axe skill determine damage with axes and not accuracy. Like by having all weapons 100% accurate all the time, but have the game use the Axe skill in the math to determine damage.

2. A way to change the number of skills. A way to add more skills to the game, such as a Thaumaturgy or Fire Arms skill. Or a way to make it so that there are fewer skills, such as combining Long Blade and Short Blade into Blade.

3. Doing the same with Attributes. Changing the way Intelligence is used in the game, combining Speed and Agility into Dexterity or adding a new Attributes such as Appearance or Power.

4. Doing the same with derived Attributes. Changing the way Fatigue is calculated, removing Magicka or adding a new one such as Sanity.

5. Changing what you get when you level up. Such as not getting more max Health when you level up. Or taking past levels into consideration for max Health if Endurance is increased (meaning it's as if your Endurance was always that number since you were level 1).

The idea here is for modders and game makers who are using the engine to be able to make game play changes. You could do something as simple as adding guns to Morrowind and give them there own Fire Arms stat. Maybe an overhaul to make Morrowind play more like Oblivion or Daggerfall. Or make a completely new game, that's survival horror RPG that takes place in the 1920s.
I'm also really excited to see OpenMW allow for these kinds of mods. However, I don't think the contact based combat would work unless there was also working physics/collision on the level of Oblivion.

On Another note, I wonder how difficult it would be to introduce NPC scheduling into OpenMW similar to Oblivions. Not anything crazy like how the AI can steal, determine factions, follow you around the shop, etc etc. But simple stuff like scheduling would help make morrowind feel way more modern than any graphics mod would do.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Is anyone actually reading the post 1.0 document? :(
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 09:17 Is anyone actually reading the post 1.0 document? :(
I haven't had time to comb through the whole thing. I know my feedback on it was kind of insignificant, but I'm not sure I ever saw a reply about making the UI re-workable? Again my vision is to make the player menus into a tabbed interface like Oblivion instead of the free windows like Morrowind.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Zini wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 09:17 Is anyone actually reading the post 1.0 document? :(
I had the same thought. Guys, the design document is not only an enjoyable read for cold winter evenings, but also an invaluable source of information.

For instance: Edit:
raevol wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 09:23 I haven't had time to comb through the whole thing. I know my feedback on it was kind of insignificant, but I'm not sure I ever saw a reply about making the UI re-workable? Again my vision is to make the player menus into a tabbed interface like Oblivion instead of the free windows like Morrowind.
You can find Zini's (rather strict) standpoint here: GUI. I guess that the GUI's customisation is going to be a hot topic in future discussions.