OpenMW 0.45.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WhiteGuar

Re: OpenMW 0.45.0

Post by WhiteGuar »

Hi, sorry for the double post.
I tried the latest nighly build and the feature clearly works as intended. The damage receives a boost and the 'critical damage' message shows up. However, there are 2 problems which I never encountered with 0.43 and that I thought were worth reporting:
1. Stealth works strangely: the pc is undetected while moving, detected when it stands still. Maybe it's just the icon though because the enemies do not become hostile.
Spoiler: Show
3. It's not really a problem (actually it's a bug you guys solved) but is there a way to turn off constant effects (e.g. shield) visuals?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

FYI: I'm going to start work on the release commentaries tomorrow. Hah! Not even 200 solved issues!

Any important commits without corresponding issues?
Zini

Post by Zini »

We have gotten pretty good at writing issues. I don't think anything important is missing.

Seems we are more or less ready to enter the RC phase. I am aiming for something around the weekend. Maybe a few days earlier or later, depending on how things are going.

There is one remaing issue: appdata.xml (see https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/merge_requests/32).

Have we something figured out about this? I don't think it is necessary to store information about previous releases which should simplify things a bit.

If there is no solution, I can update it manually. But I really do not like the idea of adding more manual steps to the process (more chances to make mistakes). I am currently updating the version number in two places for each release. I would prefer to avoid a third one.

Also, there is the question of the release date. Obviously, as I set this up I can only use the date of the beginning of the RC phase. If we want the real release data, the release managed would have to go into that and update the date before the final binaries are build.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Isn't this something we can automatically fill in via CMake using our VERSION? appdata.xml.in -> cmake -> appdata.xml
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

We still have a regression on Mac OS: https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/issues/4665
raevol

Post by raevol »

My apologies, I should have raised the warning on this sooner, but I am finding myself with zero free time due to my coursework lately. If someone else wants to write the changelog for the release, I can flip all the switches, but the plausibility of me finding time to invest any more than an hour or two into OpenMW is basically nil until December.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@psi29a Yeah, that should be doable, if we limit us to listing only the current release

@akortunov Oops. Missed that. Yeah, a blocker. Is anyone working on that?

Looks like we can not proceed with the release just yet. Question is now, find someone to stand in for raevol or wait until December. I would be okay with either option.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

I volunteer to write a changelog, but I still think we must not hurry with the RC phase start.
The hopes for that issue is on Thunderforge, but he seems to be busy.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

Capostrophic wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 13:57 I volunteer to write a changelog, but I still think we must not hurry with the RC phase start.
The hopes for that issue is on Thunderforge, but he seems to be busy.
I could try and check which nightly that regression popped up.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Please do. Or better do a git bisect.