OpenMW 0.42.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

Re: OpenMW 0.42.0

Post by Atahualpa »

Greendogo wrote:How are we looking on release? Within 14 days do you think?

Are we still holding off on release re: Atahualpa?
My data drive issue still stands -- sorry for the delay. 14 days may be reasonable though. Honestly, I haven't even started with the video scripts because my RL work piled up due to this damn hardware failure.
MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

Anything we can do?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

We have released pre-video, and updated the front page in the past. Is that a possibility here, or is your drive issue holding up a release build?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

If you ask me, a pre-video release reduces the PR effect of the whole release -- and there is Distant Land to showcase this time. Before we start thinking about a separate video release, let me first try whether my PC is still able to stream OpenMW and to render videos. If that's the case, I'd vote for a synchronous release. If not... *sigh*

As for the hardware issues: I'm going to use the opportunity to buy a new PC anyway. But if I'm not able to record video footage with my old one, this would delay the release commentaries for another two weeks or so.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I would *much prefer* to do the release simultaneously with the video. Especially with as big a feature as distant land being featured in this release. I know it will delay us a bit, but I think it's worth it.

Also I'm not getting much response on whether we're shipping with this rendering regression, so.... we're delayed anyway....
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

No rush guys, people are still thinking 1.0 will come out in a few years while we iterate up to 0.99 ;)
weedfreak

Post by weedfreak »

I disagree, there is a rush. The monthly release cycle we had some time ago kept interest going, produced feedback, bug reports and encouraged development.

With what is rapidly moving to biennial releases interest is being lost in testing and development has slowed to a crawl. I have not fired up openmw or cs for 3 months as I am waiting for the missing bits of cs to progress my mods and new game, I need at least to be able to edit and texture land and need door markers as a minimum next step, until these are done I have nothing to test in openmw.

Delaying a release for a pointless video is nonsense, do people actually watch them? I never have, I read the changelog then I know all I need to.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

weedfreak wrote:I disagree, there is a rush.
Was my sarcasm not clear? ;)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

weedfreak wrote:I have not fired up openmw or cs for 3 months as I am waiting for the missing bits of cs to progress my mods and new game, I need at least to be able to edit and texture land and need door markers as a minimum next step, until these are done I have nothing to test in openmw.
Progress on OpenMW-CS has been very slow since aesylwinn left and Zini is busy with Titans of Ether. Implementing the (complex) editor features you need for your projects will probably take some time.
weedfreak wrote:Delaying a release for a pointless video is nonsense, do people actually watch them? I never have, I read the changelog then I know all I need to.
Oh, I was under the impression that the regular release commentaries are a unique feature of the OpenMW project and that many people appreciate these videos. -- However, if these videos are "pointless" and everyone is more than happy to have a written change log for every release, I'd be glad to abandon the concept of release commentaries. It's not that I couldn't spend the 20 to 30 hours of video production per release in a better way. You tell me.
MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

The videos are great. I enjoy watching them every release. I think it's a great source of publicity too. They get views in the tens of thousands on YouTube!
Last edited by MrDowntempo on 05 May 2017, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.