OpenMW 0.42.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Ace (SWE)

Re: OpenMW 0.42.0

Post by Ace (SWE) »

BlueFootedBooby wrote: 23 Jun 2017, 20:12
Ace (SWE) wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 08:57 Well, this delay has proven to be beneficial on my end at least. Currently away on my vacation, and I'm getting semi-regular mails from my automated build system about failing due to there being not a single byte left on my system disk.
That's impressive. Any idea how you managed that? Like, did windows update go bonkers, or did you leave a 3 zetabyte torrent of romantic comedy anime running in the background?
Well, I left around 2GB free on my system drive, with only Windows and TeamViewer running. So I would assume that Windows Update is to blame.

And besides, everybody knows you download your romantic comedy anime onto a NAS, gotta ensure that it's properly protected by a storage RAID after all. (Got 12TB of RAID5 on my local net)
jmelesky

Post by jmelesky »

raevol wrote: 21 Jun 2017, 07:06 I hear you and agree, but as a devil's advocate, maybe we should have "check the nightlies" be part of our bug reporting process? I understand casual users don't want to download nightlies, but our dedicated testers should be using nightlies...
That would place a pretty high barrier in the way of users reporting bugs. Maybe that's what we want, but from my perspective, as long as a product is pre-release, you generally want as few barriers to bug reports as possible.
fuzzles

Post by fuzzles »

lysol wrote: 25 Jun 2017, 09:18 @fuzzles:

I thought I replied to you earlier, but apparently I forgot. Anyway, yes, I saw your answer. Sorry you felt you were being "brushed off", that wasn't my intention, I had probably not read the whole discussion so I really thought it was a user issue. So no offence meant. :)
No worries, I figured that the original trail of breadcrumbs got lost in the mix. I didn't take it too personally, and as I said I just want other new users to have a good experience.

In retrospect, I probably could have submitted my issue to the bug tracker, but honestly that's a little bit out of my scope and I was just hoping a quick mention here would do.

Thanks for all the hard work everyone!
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

So I know that delays happen, but not having OpenMW 0.42.0 out is starting to result in bugs being reported that are already fixed.

I spent half an hour trying to reproduce #3819, which was reported two months ago. But it turns out that it was all for nothing because it was already fixed 6 months ago. In other words, the bug was fixed, then four months later a user ran into it, then two months after that I triaged it and could reliably reproduce it. This was an unfortunate waste of time.

Not every user is willing to download the nightly build, and a stable release means that more users will see these bug fixes and not have to report bugs for them. I hope that a new stable release, either 0.42.0 or 0.43.0, can be made soon so that we don't have more of these already fixed bug reports.
I agree. Another example is the fixed bug where followers stop following after saving and loading. There have been multiple reports of that one. Is a release being held off for the videos? I enjoy the videos and appreciate Atahualpa's work on them, but it's not like they are required viewing to run the program. I support going ahead and releasing 0.42.0.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

*sneaking into the room*

Your incarnate release blocker is making good progress on the release videos. All footage and audio for the (quite long) engine video is ready which leaves me with editing tasks. The editor video doesn't really matter here because there are only a handful of changes; I will finish it when you are reviewing my engine video.

Expect a (WIP) upload within the next days.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Atahualpa wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 16:49Your incarnate release blocker is making good progress on the release videos.
Nice.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Good to hear @Atahualpa! :)
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

That's good to hear :) always looking forward to watching - even though I already know most of the changes from other places :D
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

Hurray \o/
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Cool :) can't wait for the videos and the release.