OpenMW 0.41.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
MiroslavXO

Re: OpenMW 0.41.0

Post by MiroslavXO »

Btw. what is the progress of those little 0.5 sec hiccups?
Don't see a reason to first do distant land without fixing hiccups and making fog shader.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

MiroslavXO wrote:Btw. what is the progress of those little 0.5 sec hiccups?
On Windows? Aaaaaaaace... :lol:
MiroslavXO wrote:Don't see a reason to first do distant land without... making fog shader.
Is it really such a strict requirement?
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

Don't see what is funny I'm 3D artist not coder so I'm just asking.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

MiroslavXO wrote:Don't see what is funny I'm 3D artist not coder so I'm just asking.
By "Ace" I mean our dearest Ananace (Windows packager).
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

He's saying we should try to get Ace to answer the question, because he would know better.

Also, I'm a coder but not a shader coder, so I don't know for sure, but it might not be super duper trivial to make a fog shader. It would probably be easier to set the effective "distant land" distance somewhere (as is done with MGE).
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

Well misunderstanding then.
Personally I don't care for distant land because to me OpenMW looks fine as it is, only would love to see shadows, but I know a lot of people like distant land feature.
So I said what's the point for making distant land without fixing hiccups, because I'm thinking it will be more laggy?
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

As I know, for people who waiting OpenMW but don't play now top features that they wait is:
1.Advanced AI stuff - all AI issues now in the list
2.Distand Land feature and shadows, like in MGE
3.Fully working OpenCS
4.Mor optimisation!
5.Physics and stuff like that

I play as is scince 0.34 and ok with all :D
sjek

Post by sjek »

if the hiccups are about stuttering it's just about ace getting the windows builds (updating build environment) to use scrawls osg fork

if about loading then it's likely hardware and multithreading optimization on cell preload

what have gotten on discord the mge(xe) shaders can be ported to openmw (hlsl->glsl) fairly simple, languages being similar if the same code handles? to shader code are given.

otherwise i think the distand land just needs optimization overhaul as otherwise all seems to be in place -
others than UI element that is
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

Yeah, by hiccups I meant that little stuttering that happens really often, it is super annoying.
I think he said he will update for the 0.41v
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Well, I've posted nightly builds against new build environments, but haven't gotten more than a few responses yet.

Should probably just flip the nightlies over onto the new environment, then their complaints can be used to fix any issues that appear.
Maybe I should move the entire build chain onto 2015 to be honest, the current builds don't have full XP support anyway.