OpenMW 0.41.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

Re: OpenMW 0.41.0

Post by raevol »

@psi29a if you install Morrowind Patch v1.6.3.esm does that fix a few of the errors? I know this is offtopic now, but just throwing it out there.
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

While I'm seeing there's already a bit of progress on the 0.42.0 checklist in the tracker, I'm wondering what takes up so much time between completing the to-do list on 0.41.0 and its public release. Of course there is a release post that needs to be written, but apart from that I'm quite oblivious about all the rest that needs to be done. I've got no clue what "RC" files are and so on (and google isn't helping either). Anyone willing to do a quick explanation? :p
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Zobator wrote: "RC"
Means "release candidate". For OpenMW, RC phase is essentially a testing phase, during which the builds are tested for unreported game-breaking bugs (which happen very rarely, but still happen), and if everything is A-OK, the release manager (i.e. raevol) makes a human-readable changelog, which then has to be proofreaded, and if everything, again, is A-OK, the release manager writes an upd8 post for the news section and the forum which includes the changelog and some boilerplate ("OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of version n.n.n...!" etc. etc. etc.) words.
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

Ah thanks. That clarifies everything I guess :)
corristo

Post by corristo »

clocknova

Post by clocknova »

macOS version won't recognize my data files. Won't even let me select them.

There's a crash report of an uncaught exception that flashes onscreen for a fraction of a second that I managed to catch with a screen capture. Then the message saying that no installation was detected.
corristo

Post by corristo »

@clocknova

I'd recommend purging your existing configuration completely by removing ~/Library/Preferences/openmw folder and configuring from scratch (launcher will offer to run a wizard).
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

I found a bug yesterday that I think is important enough that 0.41.0 should be delayed until it's fixed.
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3646

There's one other bug, not as important, but I think it would still be good to have in the release.
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3648
I think I have a fix for this one and will make a PR for it.

Edit: I just confirmed these two bugs are present in the 64-bit Windows RC on the previous page.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Allofich wrote:I found a bug yesterday that I think is important enough that 0.41.0 should be delayed until it's fixed.
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3646
That is a severe issue indeed. Should be in the current release, if you ask me.
Allofich wrote:There's one other bug, not as important, but I think it would still be good to have in the release.
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3648
I think I have a fix for this one and will make a PR for it.
Is this a regression too? I've never really paid attention to the Fortify Magicka effect though...
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Okay, it's the Fortify MAXIMUM Magicka effect.

Anyway, I can confirm both issues using the latest Windows 64-bit RC. The Fortify Maximum Magicka issue is also present in v0.40.0 -- the combat AI issue is at least partially present too: When you start combat with the guards in Seyda Neen, while standing behind the Census & Excise Office's courtyard wall, they try to hit you through the wall because there is no way for them to get to you.

Regarding the Magicka issue: It seems that the effect is applied until your character's magicka changes again, e.g., because of increased Intelligence after a level-up.