OpenMW 0.41.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

Re: OpenMW 0.41.0

Post by Atahualpa » 07 Dec 2016, 19:00

Allofich wrote:Yeah I believe you are correct. I would just note that I would try to avoid mentioning any spoiler stuff. There may still be people who haven't played the main quest. I myself haven't played Tribunal or Bloodmoon yet, so I try to avoid where they are being discussed.
That is why I would use the Sotha Sil example here (which I am going to use in the videos as well). Talking about the end of the main quest is too much of a spoiler.
MiroslavR wrote:No. I would explain it this way:

Code: Select all

Fixed dialogue/journal links being unclickable on certain platforms due to undefined behavior
There was a nasty bug where object pointers were reinterpreted as signed integers and the game relied on them being positive. There is no telling if they end up positive or negative.
Thanks for the explanation. I updated my post above.

DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie » 08 Dec 2016, 08:57

Ace (SWE) wrote:Windows RC3 builds then;

32-bit
64-bit
I sense a little bit of confusion here. Ace released RC3. But Raevol did not call for RC3 yet. Has our AI + magicka problem been fixed? Is this fix in Ace's RC3?

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a » 08 Dec 2016, 09:05

No, but scrawl did.
scrawl wrote:Thanks to Allofich for the 2 quick fixes, now in master and openmw-41.

Please build new RCs for the (hopefully) final round of testing.

raevol

Post by raevol » 08 Dec 2016, 11:25

Capostrophic wrote:Majority of the misunderstandings can be solved just through a thorough look on the issues pages on the bugtracker, though. There almost always is a "fix commit" on the right.

(off-topic: "Fixed [the issue symptoms]" actually was and is a really bad wording in many cases.)
Thanks for the suggestion, but after doing thousands of changelog items over the years, I've definitely got that figured out. I ask questions here when I still don't understand the issue, even after scouring the tracker and github. It usually comes down to one of two things: no commit was referenced for the issue, or I lack the technical understanding to summarize the issue.

Regarding the wording, from what I recall we decided a long time ago to summarize the issues in human-readable and user-friendly language, so describing the "issue symptoms" is exactly what we are going for. If that weren't the case, I would just post a link to the tracker. I do try to generalize issues if they are discovered to be a more systemic problem instead of a one-off as described by the initial reporter, but even then if it starts to get into too much technical jargon I will "lighten" it up. Our users don't need to know that a function parameter was changed to const, they need to know that they can complete a temple quest and get the correct reward. Edit: Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Thanks everybody for the help. I'll get it parsed and sorted into the rest of what I have ASAP.

Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic » 08 Dec 2016, 12:10

human-readable and user-friendly language
Which could be a little more human-readable and user-friendly, eh. I mean... for example, let's think of a fictional bug: a section of kwama forager's animation didn't work; the forager... turned 90 degrees left instead or something. Current format: "Fixed an issue that a part of kwama foragers' animation didn't work". Not what I'm suggesting: "Fixed an animation-breaking bug in keyframe tracker system". What I'm suggesting: "Kwama foragers will now play a section of their animation instead of turning 90° to left".

...you get my idea.

No offense.
still don't understand the issue
Tsk-tsk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a » 08 Dec 2016, 13:30

new rc3 up on staging ppa

K1ll

Post by K1ll » 08 Dec 2016, 17:36

RC3 Linux targz packages (skipped RC2):

32 Bit
64 Bit

raevol

Post by raevol » 08 Dec 2016, 23:23

Capostrophic wrote:...you get my idea.
Ooooh, ok sorry I do get you there, and I think you're right. I'm going to try something different with this changelog, I will post a draft and see what you guys think.
Capostrophic wrote:Tsk-tsk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hey now. :P So the issue is that I'm not a developer, and on the one hand that makes things difficult for me and I become a pain in the butt to the rest of the team, but on the other hand, if I can "translate" the issues into something I understand, our intended audience will understand them too.

raevol

Post by raevol » 08 Dec 2016, 23:25

Waiting on OSX RC3s I think? Any if anyone could give these RCs a whirl that'd be greatttt, thanks!

sjek

Post by sjek » 09 Dec 2016, 23:43

windows RC3 didn't have any game breaking faults in animation save or general workings running an hour. combat ai fix has stopped attacking without los. chasing still happens as related to water creatures bug.
"life is crazy"
"craziness has beauty which only crazies understand" some movie clip in the head.
https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Testing