OpenMW 0.40.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

Re: OpenMW 0.40.0

Post by Atahualpa »

Capostrophic wrote:Distant land was in form of distant terrain in Ogre version.
Ah, I see. Good to know.
Allofich wrote:
CODE: SELECT ALL
- Fixed NPCs not favoring ranged weapons
"[...] when the player is far away"
I took a quick look at the code for that fix, and unless I'm mistaken it does not specifically make NPCs favor ranged weapons when the player is far away, it just gave a general boost to the likelihood of ranged weapons being chosen by the AI in any situation.
I know this issue but, to me, it sounded a bit strange (as if the ranged weapons needed to be favoured naturally).
How about "Fixed NPCs not favoring ranged weapons over comparable melee ones in combat"?

I updated my .txt file with both remarks.
OpenMW_0-40-0_Changelog_English.txt
(4.77 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

How about "Fixed NPCs not favoring ranged weapons over comparable melee ones in combat"?
Yeah, I suppose that's fine. I think it's mostly a fix in that it made an NPC who was expected to use thrown weapons because they did so in the original game also do so in OpenMW, so another option might be "Fixed NPCs not using ranged weapons as often as in the original game" or "as in vanilla Morrowind."
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

We have a build breaking bug on Debian with 0.38 and 0.39 with Boost 1.61.

Code: Select all

In file included from /build/openmw-0.39.0/components/files/configurationmanager.cpp:1:0:
/build/openmw-0.39.0/components/files/configurationmanager.hpp:56:22: error: 'unordered_map' in namespace 'std' does not name a template type
         typedef std::unordered_map<std::string, path_type_f> TokensMappingContainer;
                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/build/openmw-0.39.0/components/files/configurationmanager.hpp:71:9: error: 'TokensMappingContainer' does not name a type
         TokensMappingContainer mTokensMapping;
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/build/openmw-0.39.0/components/files/configurationmanager.cpp: In member function 'void Files::ConfigurationManager::setupTokensMapping()':
/build/openmw-0.39.0/components/files/configurationmanager.cpp:48:5: error: 'mTokensMapping' was not declared in this scope
     mTokensMapping.insert(std::make_pair(mwToken, &FixedPath<>::getInstallPath));
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/build/openmw-0.39.0/components/files/configurationmanager.cpp: In member function 'void Files::ConfigurationManager::processPaths(Files::PathContainer&, bool)':
/build/openmw-0.39.0/components/files/configurationmanager.cpp:90:17: error: 'TokensMappingContainer' has not been declared
                 TokensMappingContainer::iterator tokenIt = mTokensMapping.find(path.substr(0, pos + 1));
                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/build/openmw-0.39.0/components/files/configurationmanager.cpp:91:21: error: 'tokenIt' was not declared in this scope
                 if (tokenIt != mTokensMapping.end())
                     ^~~~~~~
/build/openmw-0.39.0/components/files/configurationmanager.cpp:91:32: error: 'mTokensMapping' was not declared in this scope
                 if (tokenIt != mTokensMapping.end())
                                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/build.make:3457: recipe for target 'components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/files/configurationmanager.cpp.o' failed
make[3]: *** [components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/files/configurationmanager.cpp.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[3]: Leaving directory '/build/openmw-0.39.0/build'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:307: recipe for target 'components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/all' failed
make[2]: *** [components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/build/openmw-0.39.0/build'
Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/build/openmw-0.39.0/build'
Considering that whatever Debian does, Ubuntu will follow so this probably should be addressed.

Update: From what I've read, we're still using -std=c++98 while -std=c++11 (GCC >= 4.7.x) or -std=c++0x (GCC <= 4.6.X) si where std::unordered_map was introduced. I haven't tested this yet.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/157 ... ame-a-type
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Just tested using this patch:

diff --git a/CMakeLists.txt b/CMakeLists.txt
index 2fdd0e8..90b0653 100644
--- a/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -373,7 +373,7 @@ endif()

# CXX Compiler settings
 if (CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ID STREQUAL GNU OR CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ID STREQUAL Clang)
-    set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -Wall -Wextra -Wundef -Wno-unused-parameter -std=c++98 -pedantic -Wno-long-long")
+    set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -Wall -Wextra -Wundef -Wno-unused-parameter -std=c++11 -pedantic -Wno-long-long")

if (CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ID STREQUAL Clang AND NOT APPLE)
         execute_process(COMMAND ${CMAKE_C_COMPILER} --version OUTPUT_VARIABLE CLANG_VERSION)
It gives a lot of warnings, but at least it compiles and I have deb packages.

Example:

warning: 'template<class> class std::auto_ptr' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
The question is, do we want to switch to c++11 for this release across the board or do I have to carry this patch only for Debian/Ubuntu?
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

OpenMW 0.40 no longer uses unordered_map (https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/commit ... 03534b610c), so I don't understand what the problem is?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

- Fixed crash when loading an ESP file with a '#' character in the filename
It wasn't just esp files, but in fact any variable in openmw.cfg including a '#' would be truncated from that point on loading, so, for example, when told to load "modwitha#hash.esp", it would try and load a file called "modwitha", which inevitably wouldn't exist. The exact same issue would occur with an esm or an openmwaddon. If you tried to add "C:/Games/OpenMWMods/#graphics/lysol's-textures/" as a mod directory, it would instead add "C:/Games/OpenMWMods/", which wouldn't cause a crash (as it's still a valid directory), but would obviously leave you without normal and parallax mapping.

It's a little more subtle than the original bug report suggested.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Adventurer wrote:OpenMW 0.40 no longer uses unordered_map (https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/commit ... 03534b610c), so I don't understand what the problem is?
Thanks for this, this is a problem for 0.38 and 0.39 releases on Debian. 0.39 has yet to be released. I'm glad this won't be a problem in 0.40 but I'll keep my eye on it.

Updated original post.

Update: Just tried with 0.40 using debian's experimental and everything works as expected with Boost 1.61 and -std=c++98 Sorry for the alarm. :)

Out of currorisity, what is holding us back from C++11 adoption?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

The final version of the editor video has been uploaded.
-----------------------------------------------
>>> https://youtu.be/izlm2CAnCpY <<<
-----------------------------------------------

Important changes:
- added version overlays for every scene (curse that poll!)
- re-recorded the voice track and added some noise reduction

The transcript can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3415&p=41207#p41207
raevol

Post by raevol »

Updated changelog here: https://gist.github.com/mickeylyle/602e ... /revisions

@Atahualpa, thank you so much for all the corrections! I've cherrypicked through them, as some of them were more an issue of subjectivity, rather than mistakes. I understand the language can be a bit awkward because I am trying to force the entries into a certain format, and I understand we have different philosophies on punctuation sometimes, but I do really appreciate every one of your fixes- thank you!
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

psi29a wrote:Out of curiosity, what is holding us back from C++11 adoption?
I'm curious about that too. I think I previously read somewhere that we don't want to force developers to use specific compilers, but c++11 is becoming more mainstream.