OpenMW 0.40.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
watchedscum

Re: OpenMW 0.40.0

Post by watchedscum »

Allofich wrote:Maybe "doors that lead into other areas"? Or, "doors that lead into and out of buildings?" The second one doesn't cover all situations but may have a little better sentence flow.

"Loading doors" might be fine, too. I think I've heard that term used for other games (although they may have been Bethesda ones.)
If it's not to late to comment, I'd use "activating doors that move the player to a new location (when activated)" or the like. Not all doors fixed by this cause loading or move the player to a new cell. I recall a few basements in Morrowind that were reached by activating the hatch which teleported you to another location in the same cell (if the base game didn't, mods definitely did) which I think would be effected by this bug.

There will be footage of such a door attached to the video (I hope) so a watcher should be able to realize that's what's being talked about.

Perhaps make the intro "more or less a compilation of bug-fixes and optimization"?
greetasdf

Post by greetasdf »

Atahualpa wrote:First (quick) draft of the engine script; any feedback is welcome. -- I haven't finished the voice recording and the video footage yet.
OpenMW_0-40-0_Script.txt
woot thanks guys, I read the script for the main openMW, I was waiting for weeks/months, it's very good. One small suggestion: in the second last paragraph: '--another great example of the sophisticated physics'. I'm sure it's sophisticated in its own way - but as a reader (without notice of sarcasm) this might be misinterpreted when thinking about modern physics in games
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

commodore256 wrote: What's really the point? Most Germans speak English and you could easily mistake them for British or American when they speak and Americans that go to Germany are usually corrected on their english grammar.

Edit: Well, I suppose there's SEO. :D Captioning adds SEO work.
It's not a matter of search engine optimisation or such. I know many Germans -- even hardcore gamers -- whose English is very bad, and who may have trouble understanding my narration. Given the fact that Morrowind has a great fan base in Germany, the subtitles are a major improvement to the videos -- in my opinion. (I guess the benefit of hand-made English subtitles is undeniable when looking at YouTube's auto-generated subtitles.)
raevol wrote: I, for one, would like to thank Atahualpa for providing English and German subtitles for the videos. Not really sure what the issue is here.
Thanks, raevol. I got a bit confused by the previous comments...
watchedscum wrote:
If it's not to late to comment, I'd use "activating doors that move the player to a new location (when activated)" or the like. Not all doors fixed by this cause loading or move the player to a new cell. I recall a few basements in Morrowind that were reached by activating the hatch which teleported you to another location in the same cell (if the base game didn't, mods definitely did) which I think would be effected by this bug.
Let's not make it unnecessarily complicated here. For the time being, I'll stick with "loading doors" because -- as you said later in your post -- it should feel natural when watching the video.
watchedscum wrote: Perhaps make the intro "more or less a compilation of bug-fixes and optimization"?
Maybe. That's why I said "more or less". The sentence wasn't supposed to be a downer but I wanted to be honest, especially to newer viewers who wonder why we don't have any crazy new shit (Multiplayer?! Android?!!) to showcase .
greetasdf wrote: woot thanks guys, I read the script for the main openMW, I was waiting for weeks/months, it's very good. One small suggestion: in the second last paragraph: '--another great example of the sophisticated physics'. I'm sure it's sophisticated in its own way - but as a reader (without notice of sarcasm) this might be misinterpreted when thinking about modern physics in games
Thanks for your feedback, greetasdf! Well, I know that using sarcasm can lead to serious trouble in these times, especially on YouTube. But I recently gathered myself and am prepared for comments who correct me on my statements about Morrowind's physics engine. -- Anyway, the video footage should make it very obvious to the viewer.
corristo

Post by corristo »

Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

The first version of the OpenMW-CS video has been released.
-----------------------------------------------
>>> https://youtu.be/jyhV9U-BTu0 <<<
-----------------------------------------------

I'd suggest to redirect all further discussion to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3462

I'd be pleased to hear your opinion, especially on the following:
1. Is my unedited voice in any way tolerable?
2. Is the background music played at the right volume?
3. How's the video's quality (stuttering, skipped frames, etc.)?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Aaaaaaand done. The first version of the engine video for v0.40.0 is ready.
-------------------------------------------------
>>> https://youtu.be/0KMNqDRdADE <<<
-------------------------------------------------

Any feedback or discussions should go here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3462
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

Atahualpa wrote:
darkbasic wrote:I suggest you to add English subtitles to the Youtube video: they allow for easier translations as well as making it easier to understand to non-native speakers.
Ehm, I provide English and German subtitles for all of my OpenMW videos (i.e. since v0.36.0). Or did I get you wrong?
My fault then, I always thought they were the auto-generated ones.
lysol

Post by lysol »

darkbasic wrote:
Atahualpa wrote:
darkbasic wrote:I suggest you to add English subtitles to the Youtube video: they allow for easier translations as well as making it easier to understand to non-native speakers.
Ehm, I provide English and German subtitles for all of my OpenMW videos (i.e. since v0.36.0). Or did I get you wrong?
My fault then, I always thought they were the auto-generated ones.
The way the UI works in youtube makes it really easy to confuse between auto-generated and custom subtitles. They should really do something about that.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Yeah, it's really annoying. I always have to delete the auto-generated ones.

@darkbasic: Between you and me: If YouTube's auto-generated captions were as good as self-created subtitles, I wouldn't waste a second on creating these by myself. But they are really, really awful -- or just hilarious. ;)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

(Sorry for the double post.)

Issue #3483 (https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3483) has just made its way into the release but needs a new role of RC builds to be included, right? In that case, I guess it's a bit late to be included in the release commentaries though. The final versions should be ready by tomorrow.

@raevol: How's your status on the release texts? Could you use any help on these?