Suggestion for 1.0 release date

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
ElderTroll

Re: Suggestion for 1.0 release date

Post by ElderTroll »

@chris
We could contact the Bethesda employee who works on their forums or the Bethesda employee who contacted us. Especially if other fan teams were interested in doing a joint release. Let Bethesda know about the community's plan a few months beforehand. It could encourage them to do something for the anniversary as well if they weren't planning to already and give them enough time to arrange it.

@lysol
Those 15 months could be used to finish implementing the 1.0 features, bug fixes, squeezing out performance improvements, and design and planning for implementing the first wave of post 1.0 features. If Openmw 1.0 has a modest performance and stability advantage over Vanilla + MGE on range of different hardware configurations, then more people would switch over.

There are a sizable list of features and tasks for the editor which you can check out on the bugtracker's roadmap. Ideally the engine and editor's 1.0 release would be simultaneous.

scrawl's trello board has a section for the OSG port with a lot of non-trivial things to do. There's another section for enhancements and another for engine bugs. The trello board also doesn't include features like the remaining AI behaviors that need to be implemented (flee, door use, avoid node), weather effects, etc, save game file importer.

A good 1.0 release would have rock solid stability and be mostly bug free to make it clear that we aren't affiliated with Bethesda. ;)
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

In the past Zini and Scrawl have been quite clear that they will not give date for the 1.0.

They don't want to give a release date and not be able to deliver or be forced to deliver an unfinished software.

It also has been stated, that 1.0 could only happend when no bug remain. Currently there is still 258 bugs to be resolved and 117 features to be implemented before that to be true (all non "open-future" assigned bugs and features)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Cramal wrote:It also has been stated, that 1.0 could only happend when no bug remain.
Where did you read this? I don't remember reading this.

What was said was that 1.0 would be feature complete (nearly 1:1) with Morrowind with the most obvious bugs in Morrowind being fixed.
Antsan

Post by Antsan »

Cramal wrote: It also has been stated, that 1.0 could only happend when no bug remain.
So, OpenMW would be another open source project never reaching version 1.0?
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

SquireNed wrote: I wouldn't necessarily rule out Morrowind for free; they've done it with the earlier Elder Scrolls games and it's a very id/Bethesda thing to do.
I don't think they are going to do that... after all, Morrowind is still played and modded quite a lot, while Arena and Daggerfall have not aged very well and are probably mostly played by a few people out of curiosity (as I am doing right now, to be honest... :roll: ). Yes, there are two active projects that aim towards bringing Daggerfall into a new, more up to date engine, and that would also allow for real modding possibilities, but this will never catch up with 15 years of Morrowind modding. Also, there are several places to buy Morrowind digitally, which was not the case for Arena and Daggerfall when they were made free - they were almost abandonware, which can hardly be said for Morrowind.

Not that I would mind getting another copy of Morrowind for free... :roll:
lysol

Post by lysol »

Pherim wrote:
SquireNed wrote: I wouldn't necessarily rule out Morrowind for free; they've done it with the earlier Elder Scrolls games and it's a very id/Bethesda thing to do.
I don't think they are going to do that... after all, Morrowind is still played and modded quite a lot, while Arena and Daggerfall have not aged very well and are probably mostly played by a few people out of curiosity (as I am doing right now, to be honest... :roll: ). Yes, there are two active projects that aim towards bringing Daggerfall into a new, more up to date engine, and that would also allow for real modding possibilities, but this will never catch up with 15 years of Morrowind modding. Also, there are several places to buy Morrowind digitally, which was not the case for Arena and Daggerfall when they were made free - they were almost abandonware, which can hardly be said for Morrowind.

Not that I would mind getting another copy of Morrowind for free... :roll:
You sum it up quite well I think.
rstevenson1976

Post by rstevenson1976 »

there would probably be a torrent of nerd rage from people that paid $20 for morrowind now or in the near future, if bethesda announced that they were making the game free for all in may, it's been quite some time since the lastime somebody paid for arena or daggerfall, I imagine redguard and battlespire will be free first