[WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
ElderTroll

Re: [WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Post by ElderTroll »

In the video there were only two minor mistakes. The one that actually stood out to me happened at 15:09 when talking about the other developers the word "overseen" is used, but the correct word would be "overlooked". I doubt anyone will notice it. I'd watched the video 3 times by that point. lol. Also, the subtitles/closed captioning were spot on. Didn't notice a thing wrong with them. Thanks again, man.

I'll proofread the script next time. Just pm me and I'll give you my email address.

I'm still of the opinion that the engine and the editor videos should be separated. More people will get to the end of the video and see how they can support the project. Also, the majority of players may choose to never use the editor.

After 1.0 there could be 4 video sections:
1) Engine release commentaries
2) Editor release commentaries
3) Features that OpenMW has that vanilla Morrowind does not
4) Tutorials for using the editor.
Last edited by ElderTroll on 27 Feb 2016, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@ ElderTroll: Thanks for your support. Haha, "overseen" - I realised it the moment I saw your post. I'd consider this a common German mistake because we say "übersehen" which means "overlook" but directly translates to "oversee". :D
Anyway, I gladly accept your offer to proofread the next script. I'll contact you next week. :)

I'm all for splitting the upcoming videos into two videos each. The OpenMW-CS part has to be very dull if you only want to play the game.

So, how's our status on the current video? Zini? Scrawl? Any complaints?
If everything is alright I would propose that we publish the video this weekend (weekend = more views).

Edit: Changed wording. IMO, "Effort" sounds a bit negative. "Support" should do the job. :)
Last edited by Atahualpa on 28 Feb 2016, 21:31, edited 3 times in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Looks okay to me. @scrawl?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Very nice. Go ahead and publish it.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Its seems that the video is well received and that people are favouring the long form, OpenMW/OpenMW-CS split approach, which is kinda what I was expecting. We should go ahead with it. I am interested to see how the view numbers of the OpenMW video compared to the matching OpenMW-CS video will look.

btw. we talked with the TR project a while back and came up with the idea of using TR content in our videos (as a cross-promotion). I think we should go ahead with that too.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Yep, I'm impressed by the positive reactions. :)

I think that we can agree on splitting the videos and keeping them detailed. The work on the video covering version 0.37.0 will start tomorrow. 8-)

Concerning Tamriel Rebuilt: I'll have a look at the list of solved issues. Maybe there's an elegant way to showcase TR in one of the upcoming videos. We shouldn't push this too hard though - e.g. doing the whole video with TR content - because many viewers like the nostalgia of the original Morrowind places and characters. However, I could make an explicitly TR-themed video in the future (may it be a special video or a release commentary).

I'll repeat myself: What about a news post to announce the video series? Wouldn't that be reasonable? I could write it myself - but I'd naturally defer to Okulo as he is/was the man in charge.

Edit: I did a quick draft of the news post.

Code: Select all

------------------------------
The Forgotten Release Commentaries
Hello,

in case you didn't notice: The OpenMW release commentary videos are back! Well, minus WeirdSexy, and plus increased length.

For now, we will start with retrospective release commentaries for the poorly treated versions 0.36.0 up to 0.38.0. With the release of version 0.39.0 we should hopefully be ready to switch back to announcement-synchronised commentary videos.

Check out the recent video for OpenMW version 0.36.0!
<link to the video>
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Atahualpa wrote:I'll repeat myself: What about a news post to announce the video series? Wouldn't that be reasonable? I could write it myself - but I'd naturally defer to Okulo as he is/was the man in charge.
Well, Raevol is the release news guy. Maybe this is more his terrain.

I was just writing news posts between to show off what amazing shit OpenMW has done, but the project is so far along, it's mostly just bugfixing. There's nothing really fun to talk about. It's all bugfixing and stuff, which is important, but not interesting for the public to read about. All I need is something interesting for general consumption, and if you can provide it, I'm more than willing to write a very enthusiastic news post.
weouw

Post by weouw »

Please Atahualpa, make the new video at 60fps. The only problem I see with the last is that it has a lot of stuttering.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@Okulo: That makes sense. Well, I didn't go for a huge, sparkling news post but rather a little announcement of the series (as you can see in my draft). I just asked for your opinion because I had the suspicion that you were about to post another news update soon (it's been a while since the last one, and cell preloading is ready ;) ).

@weouw: I've noticed a lot of stuttering in the OpenMW part which is caused by both low frame rates as well as known engine problems (mostly the physics system, I guess). The frame rates will definitely increase with the next release videos due to the switch to OSG. I also have plans to record at 60 fps - but this may cause problems with video conversion, or crashes during video editing. We'll see.
Not

Post by Not »

Atahualpa wrote:Concerning Tamriel Rebuilt: I'll have a look at the list of solved issues. Maybe there's an elegant way to showcase TR in one of the upcoming videos. We shouldn't push this too hard though - e.g. doing the whole video with TR content - because many viewers like the nostalgia of the original Morrowind places and characters. However, I could make an explicitly TR-themed video in the future (may it be a special video or a release commentary).
Just wanted to say, TR works really well with OpenMW, most of the issues surrounding it were fixed with the latest (official) release that you guys put out, so if you wanted to showcase any of our stuff, that wouldn't be an issue. Although I fully understand that there are people that would feel nostalgic over vanilla content and that's fine too. If you do have any questions though involving TR, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to help you out :)