[WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

Re: [WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Post by Atahualpa »

Phew, your feedback is a lot better than I had imagined. :)

Meanwhile, I went through the list of issues mentioned in the video, and figured out some reduction candidates:
- [3:20 - 4:13] Bug 2430: NPC with negative fatigue don’t fall (LGNPC Vivec, Foreign Quarter v2.21)
- [4:46 - 5:43] Bug 2475: cumulative stacks of 100 point fortify skill speechcraft boosts do not apply correctly
- [6:11 - 6:47] Bug 2387: Casting bound weapon spell doesn’t switch to "ready weapon" mode
- [8:29 - 9:19] Task 2516: Editor: Change References / Referenceables terminology
- [10:49 - 11:23] Bug 2447: OpenMW-CS / Editor: doesn’t save terrain information

These would save us roughly four minutes, making the video a charming 11,5 minutes long. 8-)

Anyway, it would be nice if our two unofficial leaders, Zini and Scrawl, could put in their two cents, too. Especially, it would be nice to hear if they consider delayed videos the right way to go - and if my voice-over is correct in respect of content.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I like it. Very detailed. We should try this out before we start cutting. People may like it or not. But we should get feedback from the viewers before we make a decision.

Can we get Atahualpa access to our YouTube channel? Uploading the WIP videos there (as unlisted videos) would be a lot more convenient than Dropbox.

There is one issue I have. The description of start scripts is really confusing. The start script table does not contain any scripts at all. It is merely a list of scripts. Also, the start script verifier does not verify the start scripts. It merely verifies the list of start scripts, i.e. that the listed scripts actually exist. Maybe that could be explained a bit more clearly.

It would also be useful to explicitly ask for feedback at the end of the video about the more detailed format of this video. Maybe also ask viewers what they think about splitting the release videos into an OpenMW and an OpenMW-CS video (as proposed by ElderTroll).
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

pm weirdsexy for the password to the account. It might be some other places.

Yeah, getting feedback from the community about video length and whether the videos for Openmw engine and Open-CS should be separated.

That clip about Patreon, supporting Ace's builds, and other ways to get involved in the project could be reused in future release videos. After that finishes if there are any funny bloopers or bugs you experienced while recording you could include them. I enjoyed when weirdsexy did that.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I agree that the video was perhaps slightly too long, as others have said. 11.5 minutes sounds good. Other than that, I very much like it and I have no objections to this going up on our Youtubes :)

I don't understand why people are commenting on the accent, it is noticable but it didn't bother me whatsoever. The voice is nice and clear. Then again, I'm also german so I'm probably biased :D
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Considering OpenMW's Germanic core development team, I think the accent is spot on. ;)

Context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples
Modern Germanic peoples include the Afrikaners, Austrians, Danes, Dutch, English, Flemish, Frisians, Germans, Icelanders, Lowland Scots, Norwegians, Swedes and others (including diaspora populations, such as most European Americans)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@ Zini: Okay, the Start Scripts table contains a list of all Start Scripts. I guess a Start Script is run on starting a new game, right? Declaring a script to be a Start Script works by adding a record with the same name to the Start Scripts table. The verifier makes sure that the listed Start Scripts exist. - Is there any other way to distinguish a Start Script from a common script? What if I deleted a script "marked" as a Start Script? Would the corresponding entry in the Start Scripts table be deleted?

Regarding shortening and/or splitting the release videos: I will add a few words to the end of the video. I would leave the video length as is, like Zini proposed, to see what people think about it. Agreed? - The donations part will make its recurrence in the following videos, so our viewers will realise that eventually. ;)

@ ElderTroll: Unfortunately, I didn't encounter any noticeable bugs while recording. With the original engine that never would have happened! :D
Zini

Post by Zini »

I guess a Start Script is run on starting a new game, right?
On starting a new game and on loading a game. These are basically global scripts that run the whole time.
Is there any other way to distinguish a Start Script from a common script?
A start script is a common script.
What if I deleted a script "marked" as a Start Script? Would the corresponding entry in the Start Scripts table be deleted?
No. The user would have to remove it manually. That's why we have the start script verifier.
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

The video was good and the accent bothered me none.
ElderTroll wrote:After that finishes if there are any funny bloopers or bugs you experienced while recording you could include them. I enjoyed when weirdsexy did that.
One thing i liked was weirdsexy's humor on that i agree with ElderTroll.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

@Atahualpa
Just saw noticed you replied about the bloopers. :lol:

Version 0.39 is probably another month out from now. Scrawl's killing it on this release, so it'll be a good one.

It could be cool to have them a week or two apart and resurrect the youtube channel. 0.36 this week, 0.37 around March 7~13, 0.38 March 21~24, and 0.39 probably early april. Has the release video gone live on the youtube page?

I suggest that without contributing any work myself. It's totally up to you. How long did it take to write, record, edit, and add voice commentary? Thanks again, Atahualpa.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Back to the YouTube password situation. It seems Atahualpa did not receive the PW yet. I am actually not sure who has the account data. Only WeirdSexy?