[WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: [WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Post by Zini »

Nice!
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

All right. :) There are two things left to do for this video:

1. Are there any content-related mistakes? (E.g., I don't know if I recorded shaking terrain at 6:30, or if it's only the shadows flickering.)

2. ElderTroll proposed to add video link overlays to the donations/support section, i.e. clickable text boxes which link to the described pages. I've thought about this too, but decided to drop the idea because it is kind of intrusive. What do you think?
Zini

Post by Zini »

You mentioned opening magic in relation to activators. That is not correct. The open effect can be applied to containers and doors. Activators are never lockable. That's the only mistake I noticed. @scrawl Anything else?

Personally not much a fan of overlays in videos. They are indeed intrusive. But that is just my personal opinion.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Another vote for overlays being intrusive. You mention the links in the video, and if the viewer is going to click them they'll be more than happy to read the video description. And everyone else will be happy for no overlays.

Sorry Eldertroll, I wuv you! :D
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

Atahualpa wrote: 2. ElderTroll proposed to add video link overlays to the donations/support section, i.e. clickable text boxes which link to the described pages. I've thought about this too, but decided to drop the idea because it is kind of intrusive. What do you think?
You could add an outro, where you spend 10s showing some game footage and having clickable links to relevant stuff over there. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCrUl5nAXxE&t=6m29s
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I suggest we drop the idea of video overlays for the time being.
@ Lazaroth: We can revise the idea of a reusable outro once the videos are release-synchronised again (i.e. with the release of v0.39.0).

I've just created a compilation thread which includes all video links and the appropriate transcript/subtitle files. I will update this thread with every release, so test-viewers, proofreaders and translators can easily find the current material.
(--> viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3415)

If there aren't any further errors left in the recent video - may it be spelling/grammar mistakes, or content-related flaws - I'll start a new round of voice recording later this day.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Nice video. Two minor issues - wasn't going to mention these, but if you're redoing the video anyway:

Near clip distance setting - has nothing to do with improving performance. Increasing the near clip distance results in better depth precision, reducing the chance of z-fighting artifacts to occur. But the downside of increasing it is a higher risk of clipping objects very close to the camera. To be honest, I don't think this setting is very interesting for users. Maybe cut this part of the video?

Profiling overlay - not really meant to analyze memory usage. At least I've never used it that way. Its main function is to analyze the frame update. It shows you the relative framerate impact of all subsystems, from which you can then deduct the performance bottleneck in a particular scene.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Ah, I see. The first one is obsolete then, the second one needs to be rewritten - unless I skip it as well.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

The final version of the video for OpenMW v0.37.0 has been uploaded.
-----------------------------------------------
>>> https://youtu.be/wf3EDx5XKAI <<<
-----------------------------------------------

I applied the following changes:
  • - replaced old voice track by a completely new one
    - added English and German subtitles
    - 1:41 - added "Semantic Versioning" explanation text box
    - 12:44 - added Morrowind smash sound :D
    - 9:07 - corrected "doors/activators" mistake
    - removed "near clip distance" and "profiling overlay" parts
    - tweaked the voice (hopefully less noise - it's interesting to hear what sounds you make while speaking^^)
    - turned down the music/in-game effects (thanks, MetaCthulhu)
    - corrected spelling/grammar mistakes (thanks again, Loriel)
I'd say we publish the video together with the OpenMW-CS one. Hopefully, the latter will be finished (i.e. final) by the end of the week.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Should I replace the newspost video with this version or would you rather I wait?