OpenMW 0.38.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
FiftyTifty

Re: OpenMW 0.38.0

Post by FiftyTifty »

Thought I'd mosey on over 'ere, after lurking for a while.

Gave the 0.38.0 RC1 x64 build on this 'ere thread a shot. Maximum framerates are lower than vanilla Morrowind, but minimums are around five fps higher, give or take. Using the same settings of course; shadows disabled, view distance max, water effects disabled, fov @ 55.

Most intensive spot I found was overlooking Balmora near the Silt Strider, standing near the flag. ~63fps in OpenMW, ~55fps in Morrowind.

Enabling the water effects causes my framerate to plummet, however. Sends the minimum framerates to the low 20's. Enabling the water effects in vanilla Morrowind doesn't affect my FPS at all, for whatever it's worth. Second core is near 100% utilization, cores 0, 2 & 3 are not doing much (~20% utilization each).

Couple of bugs:

The player character will "jump-fall" when moving from one surface to another. E.g, standing on the stone doorstep of a house in Seyda Neen, then walking off of it onto the terrain, will cause the player to play the jump animation and landing sound.

When creating a new character, and entering the office with that shrill old geezer who gives you the papers, the lighting on the rug and placed papers (after selecting your class) flickers on-off depending on the camera angle.

Any of you lads experienced similar buggery?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm pretty sure none of those things are buggery. There'll probably be a mod to add it, though.
FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty »

AnyOldName3 wrote:
I'm pretty sure none of those things are buggery. There'll probably be a mod to add it, though.
Nay, it's all vanilla. Not running any mods, I promise ye. Just Morrowind, Bloodmoon and Tribunal.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That's not what I'm saying. Buggery has nothing to do with software bugs - it's a synonym for sodomy. Your whimsical writing style has collided with a pre-existing word with a totally different meaning.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

A new set of Windows RCs then;

32-bit
64-bit
FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty »

AnyOldName3 wrote:That's not what I'm saying. Buggery has nothing to do with software bugs - it's a synonym for sodomy. Your whimsical writing style has collided with a pre-existing word with a totally different meaning.
NOT IN THIS COUNTRY, SIR! We are made of moral fibers!
Ace (SWE) wrote:A new set of Windows RCs then;

32-bit
64-bit
Alas, the bugs I mentioned are still occuring.
Prodigy152

Post by Prodigy152 »

MajinCry wrote:Thought I'd mosey on over 'ere, after lurking for a while.

Gave the 0.38.0 RC1 x64 build on this 'ere thread a shot. Maximum framerates are lower than vanilla Morrowind, but minimums are around five fps higher, give or take. Using the same settings of course; shadows disabled, view distance max, water effects disabled, fov @ 55.

Most intensive spot I found was overlooking Balmora near the Silt Strider, standing near the flag. ~63fps in OpenMW, ~55fps in Morrowind.

Enabling the water effects causes my framerate to plummet, however. Sends the minimum framerates to the low 20's. Enabling the water effects in vanilla Morrowind doesn't affect my FPS at all, for whatever it's worth. Second core is near 100% utilization, cores 0, 2 & 3 are not doing much (~20% utilization each).

Couple of bugs:

The player character will "jump-fall" when moving from one surface to another. E.g, standing on the stone doorstep of a house in Seyda Neen, then walking off of it onto the terrain, will cause the player to play the jump animation and landing sound.

When creating a new character, and entering the office with that shrill old geezer who gives you the papers, the lighting on the rug and placed papers (after selecting your class) flickers on-off depending on the camera angle.

Not sure about the first bug you have listed there, but as for the second one with the shadow flickering, I understand it is an AMD issue.
K1ll

Post by K1ll »

RC2 Linux targz packages:

32 Bit
64 Bit
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Ace (SWE) wrote:A new set of Windows RCs then;

32-bit
64-bit
Played a few hours. Seems stable, no signs of bugs, although I did stumble upon a glitch in the Universe similar to the Stein/Stain bears.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm getting a segfault/core dump when I try to openmw --skip-menu on files that used to work.

two required files: openmw-template and skins, then you can either load tesanwynn.esp or tesanwynn.omwaddon.

You can use openmw, then new and go into the game without a problem.

openmw --skip-menu will seg fault.

The original behaviour, in 0.36 (last tested) was that it loaded up just fine.. probably to a default location.
I'm attaching te crash log as well.
crash.log
(33.9 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
data.zip
(711.94 KiB) Downloaded 156 times