OpenMW Game Template

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
kepinpin

Re: OpenMW Game Template

Post by kepinpin »

guys, I just saw this [mod][/http://imgur.com/gallery/mWkeC?third_party=1] for skyrim, is it possible to use such textures in openmw?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Sure, but not in the template.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Now for something completely different... not going into the template, but I thought I would share:

Welcome to Oahu!
screenshot019.png
I took the DEM file from the US Geological Survey for Oahu, Hawaii. I converted it to CInt32 raw via gdal (now part of WorldEngine) then imported it via TESAnnwyn.

This gives me an idea to tweak TESAnnwyn to set land textures based on height.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Noice. :D
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Wow!

I wonder if something similar is used to make landscaping cities easier. GTA, Prototype and maybe a few others have huge cities, perhaps they just convert some geographical data and generate the landscape instead of manually adjusting everything.

After all, it would be a pain to have to place everything by hand exactly as it is in the real city.
EmperorArthur

Post by EmperorArthur »

That's awesome!

What's the scale for the Oahu map?
How does it look if you expand it to full 1:1?

Of course, I doubt it's that detailed. Might consider adding something to generate realistic detail based on a real map to WorldEngine. Simulate different types of ground and weather for an erosion pattern.
Last edited by EmperorArthur on 08 Aug 2015, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Well... Moonboy is pretty far up, took me awhile to get there. ;) The map is about 1:10, otherwise OpenMW will CTD due to memory usage, I have 12GiB of RAM. Scrawl is looking into the problem.
Penultima

Post by Penultima »

DestinedToDie wrote:Wow!

I wonder if something similar is used to make landscaping cities easier. GTA, Prototype and maybe a few others have huge cities, perhaps they just convert some geographical data and generate the landscape instead of manually adjusting everything.

After all, it would be a pain to have to place everything by hand exactly as it is in the real city.
I know inFamous used a bunch of hex cells to make the city more modular without feeling that way to the player. Meanwhile, New Vegas used a heightmap (I've heard it mentioned that it was of the California/Nevada area, but I can't find any sources to back that up) for the initial terrain. Then it was spiced up by hand. Oblivion used procedural generation for it's terrain, including erosion simulation. So it seems like WorldEngine is in good company.
dirnae

Post by dirnae »

How far did the baseanim animation remake go?
I'm looking at making a new skeleton + animations for use with MCP's new bones feature, it could be used for this as well.

It'll take a long time to complete though.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Hello Dirnae.

The base anim skeleton has 5 fingers and a foot bone both in 3rd and 1st person.

3rd person view has walkforward, walkleft, walkright, walkback working and animated. You can also go into hand-to-hand mode and then throw a punch. The attacking animation in hand-to-hand is where I left off.

The first person has basically no animations. I simply added animation groups to 1 frame to enable idle and walking in directions.

There are 789 lines in base_anim.nif anim txt and 652 in anim_base.1st.nif, so it'll take some time to animate everything.

Edit: So I googled a bit and was surprised. I didn't know anyone had made new animations. And they look good too. My own work is a little amateurish and I don't mind at all if you scrap it and start from the bottom.