OpenMW Game Template

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: OpenMW Game Template

Post by Zini »

Question, Adding region... what does this do exactly? How can I add "terrain"?
Exterior cells (and interior cells with the exterior flag) can have a region. The region contains the weather table. I am actually not sure what happens if an exterior cell does not have a region. But I would expect it to not have any weather.
But for a real project, wouldn't the user replace nifs (trees, houses, bodyparts) and animations so that the project would be free from CC BY 4.0?
The template would not contain models like trees or houses. As mentioned above, minimalism.

If someone wants to use a different license than the template, then this person can not use the template. Simple as that. That's one of the reasons why a new omwgame file does not contain anything by default.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Zini wrote:
The template would not contain models like trees or houses. As mentioned above, minimalism.
Oh, I see! In that case I won't be doing animations and sky nifs. I believe this takes much of the workload off for you too psi.

Doing those things will probably be reserved for if we do the example suite, which would be a mod built on the template.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

DestinedToDie, I'm assuming that you are Zini are saying the same thing. The very basics need to be there, otherwise OpenMW barfs. There needs to be basic sky/atmosphere and base animation models as I'm 100% certain they will be used, just re-textured. He is just saying, no superfluous models/textures for houses/trees/npcs... since those are things people are going to do themselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong Zini.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

What I was thinking of was that there is no reason to do models with textures and animations if the template is to be minimalistic. Instead, put in sphere nifs for sky, empty .nif for animations, empty sound file for music, etc for the template. It should not complain in that case.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@psi29a: Correct!

@DestinedToDie: We could get away with that, but it wouldn't hurt to go a bit beyond that. I would classify that still as minimalistic.

The difference here is that things like trees or buildings are specific to the type of content created. Things like the sky or NPC animations on the other hand are more or less standard. For example unless it is an extremely ambitious TC or has a very exotic world a project would be unlikely to replace a default sky.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Extending the search to CC licenced animations, this seems like a good starting point: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... on_project

Loriel
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

If we find a Blender model with an animation fitting for OpenMW, all that's needed is to add animation groups so that OpenMW can know what animation is for what.

However in my experience things are more complicated. If I make a model in 2.75 together with animation and take it to 2.49B so I can export as nif with kf and xnif, the animation is lost between 2.75 and 2.49B. I suppose how much is lost depends on what version the model was created in.

The second thing that almost slipped my mind is bones. I don't know about OpenMW, but in Morrowind apparently NPCs require bones named exactly as the engine wants. In addition, the number of bones is limited. This might pose a problem when you take an animated model that has a different amount of bones.

In theory you could find a model that doesn't have these 2 problems. I don't know about practice tho.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I'm starting work on the anim nifs today. Expect a minimum of 2 days before it's ready.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

DestinedToDie wrote:I'm starting work on the anim nifs today. Expect a minimum of 2 days before it's ready.
Thanks! Although there are no deadlines, so no worries. ;)

I'm assuming these are the base animation NIFs that can be used by other NIFs/models?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Edit: Maybe I should also mention Base_Anim has only 3 fingers, Base_Anim1st has 5. Edit2: I think Base_Anim1st is used for animations for when you're holding a weapon. I think...

So the answer to your question psi is that it does contain base animations, just not all of them.