OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Genkaz

Re: OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Post by Genkaz »

scrawl wrote:
How do I build and make a release candidate that can actually be used for playing on Lubuntu 15.10? (not amd)
The wiki does not explain how to associate the whole thing with OpenGl, the compiled version complains that it cannot create an SDL window and that there is no OpenGL support. (while there are clearly drivers and opengl installed on this machine)
Could you post the exact error? How did you install SDL? Make sure that SDL is built with X11 video support and OpenGL support (you'll need the respective development headers installed at the time of compiling SDL).
The error looks like this: Image

and the Graphics window looks like this: Image

I followed the instructions on this page: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ment_Setup

so in other words I did this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openmw/openmw

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install git libopenal-dev libopenscenegraph-dev \
libsdl2-dev libqt4-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-thread-dev \
libboost-program-options-dev libboost-system-dev libav-tools \
libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libswscale-dev libavresample-dev \
libbullet-dev libmygui-dev libunshield-dev libtinyxml-dev cmake build-essential \
libqt4-opengl-dev

and thenI downloaded a zip file with what I needed in order to build it and did:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../

and then did make. it took a while, and it seemed to have put itself together correctly, however I seemed to have forgotten to specify something that the wiki does not talk about.

I am not a dev of this engine, so I don't really know how to specify and make it configured to "use this OpenGL installation right here"
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

(Can a mod move this to the Support forum please?)

So you've installed SDL from the ubuntu repositories, then it should come with OpenGL support. Maybe you have a different build of SDL somewhere on your system e.g. in /usr/local that is getting picked up instead. Please post the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo updatedb && locate libSDL
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
# while in OpenMW build folder:
ldd ./openmw
Genkaz

Post by Genkaz »

scrawl wrote:(Can a mod move this to the Support forum please?)

So you've installed SDL from the ubuntu repositories, then it should come with OpenGL support. Maybe you have a different build of SDL somewhere on your system e.g. in /usr/local that is getting picked up instead. Please post the output of the following commands:

sudo updatedb && locate libSDL
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
# while in OpenMW build folder:
ldd ./openmw
http://pastebin.com/zaAbuSsQ
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Just as I thought, you have a second SDL2 library in /usr/local (presumably compiled without OpenGL support), that is being used instead of the SDL2 from the Ubuntu repositories. Remove those files from /usr/local and then OpenMW should work.

/usr/local/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0.2.1
/usr/local/lib/libSDL2.a
/usr/local/lib/libSDL2.la
/usr/local/lib/libSDL2.so
/usr/local/lib/libSDL2_test.a
/usr/local/lib/libSDL2main.a
Genkaz

Post by Genkaz »

scrawl wrote:Just as I thought, you have a second SDL2 library in /usr/local (presumably compiled without OpenGL support), that is being used instead of the SDL2 from the Ubuntu repositories. Remove those files from /usr/local and then OpenMW should work.
Thanks a ton! it worked! However I seem to be experiencing an entirely different issue now, the game has absolutely no sound.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Please post your openmw.log, openmw.cfg and settings.cfg (all can be found in ~/.config/openmw/ ).
Genkaz

Post by Genkaz »

scrawl wrote:Please post your openmw.log, openmw.cfg and settings.cfg (all can be found in ~/.config/openmw/ ).
http://pastebin.com/AaMwnZsY
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Sound init failed: Trying to retrieve a non-existing setting: device.
Make sure the settings-default.cfg file file was properly installed.
It looks like the wrong settings-default.cfg file (from an earlier version of OpenMW) is being picked up. How are you launching OpenMW? For a local build, you need to launch from the build folder, e.g.

cd build
./openmw
rather than

./path/to/build/openmw
With the latter command, OpenMW won't find the settings-default.cfg file in the build folder, which would usually make it exit right away. But in your case it looks like there is another settings-default.cfg file somewhere (probably one in /etc/openmw from an earlier version of OpenMW that was installed system-wide?) that is being picked up. Since this older default settings file doesn't contain sound device settings yet, it is making the sound code bail.
Genkaz

Post by Genkaz »

scrawl wrote:
Sound init failed: Trying to retrieve a non-existing setting: device.
Make sure the settings-default.cfg file file was properly installed.
It looks like the wrong settings-default.cfg file (from an earlier version of OpenMW) is being picked up. How are you launching OpenMW? For a local build, you need to launch from the build folder, e.g.

cd build
./openmw
rather than

./path/to/build/openmw
With the latter command, OpenMW won't find the settings-default.cfg file in the build folder, which would usually make it exit right away. But in your case it looks like there is another settings-default.cfg file somewhere (probably one in /etc/openmw from an earlier version of OpenMW that was installed system-wide?) that is being picked up. Since this older default settings file doesn't contain sound device settings yet, it is making the sound code bail.
What do I do if I messed up my default settings file that is in the build folder? it is completely blank.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

It shouldn't be blank. In that case run cmake, that will copy the default settings file from the repository over to the build folder.

cd build
cmake ..